Ban Seua Dao The House of "We'll Dispute" Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Ban Seua Dao The House of "We'll Dispute" Kanchanaburi

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:14 am

I am sure you will find the right advice in the various posts on retaining walls. The thing to remember is use the earth you are retaining,to anchor the wall by having the footing base wide with the steel going up into the wall itself. Use any rocks, bricks or rubble behind the wall plus big "Weep holes" in the wall to let excess water out as it's water that expands the soil (especially clay) and pushes walls over. Agg pipes if available with holes in them, surrounded by rubble or metal near the bottom of your wall will do the job better. Run them to anywhere that the water can escape to.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:01 am

On the construction side of retaining walls, the best system I've seen and used is with the 2 hole hollow concrete blocks 200m.m. wide x 200m.m. highx400m.m. long. Never seen any up around Khon Kaen but have down in Phuket, so they ARE made in Thailand. Use them with 16m.m.dia steel coming up in each hole and the same running horizontal each course. The vertical steel being tied to the 20m.m.dia steel coming out of the wide footings in a L
That method you only have one wall of blocks to lay to take the small stone mix of concrete, and no tying of steel. It's the general way over here in Oz to build most of the under ground parking areas and retaining walls up to 3 or 4 mts high. All the steel is Deformed, not just round.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:02 am

Mike Judd wrote:On the construction side of retaining walls, the best system I've seen and used is with the 2 hole hollow concrete blocks 200m.m. wide x 200m.m. highx400m.m. long. Never seen any up around Khon Kaen but have down in Phuket, so they ARE made in Thailand.

These also work well Mike .. high density, pressure moulded, little smaller at 30 x 15 x 15 [laid] ... available around Chiang Mai and excellent for such tasks. Also come in a variety of decorative, stone-texture, finishes and colours and some even build their complete houses from them. One German guy apparently built his double external walls from these and also completely filled them with concrete and rebar. Wanted roof-top parking for the Panzer tank maybe! I used them for my foundation wall and original fish pond. They are very strong and easy for the workers to get straight due to the width ... compared with the standard 6mm low density blocks.

For a retaining wall: As long as the in-ground beam was designed correctly, with side extensions to counter the loading, you can do away with the posts/columns. Just cast the beam with rebar exposed at the pitch of the holes in the blocks and by filling the holes with concrete your posts are effectively included within your wall; giving a clean external appearance.

Serene block.jpg
Serene block.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

Fish pond wall.jpg
Fish pond wall.jpg (65.37 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:12 am

The cost of retaining walls might be about to receive a kicking depending on availability of the blocks in the previous two posts they should when used as described be more than adequate for a retaining wall
I have not seen them here and i spend days shopping but some one somewhere is making them :mrgreen:

These were your common or garden blocks a few years ago used for everything including retaining walls & swimming pools backfilled with 6mm concrete vertical rebars were cast into the footing horizontals added between courses forming your "grid"
There is a downside they were limited to about 2.5 meters ?? and try sliding them over the rebar constantly
to lay them not too much of a problem here labour is cheap enough to use two men :roll: :roll:

The modern take on these is polystyrenene blocks that interlock used for the same purpose the poured consrete is the strength the polystyrene is the shuttering (unavailable after many searches)

but the technique is very similar i will try and put a link
the link if you look at diy builds is self explanatory there are other companies and other more impeessive videos
http://www.styrostone.co.uk/
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 am

geordie wrote:
There is a downside they were limited to about 2.5 meters ?? and try sliding them over the rebar constantly

There is no limit to the height the block I mentioned can be used ... have seen them on two-storey buildings.

As for sliding them over the rebar ... you can of course keep the rebar in short lengths and insert new pieces as the height increases ... as long as the new piece overlaps with the lower piece there's no sacrifice in strength.

Anyone interested in them in the Chiang Mai area ... they are called Serene Blocks and manufactured just north of Maejo centre on the 1001 Phrao road that comes up from the Super Highway. Last time I bought they were 14 Baht a piece [for the plain ones] but that was two years ago. So a lot more expensive than the crumbly standard cement block to build a wall but a major increase in strength and functionality.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 am

MGV12 wrote:
geordie wrote:

There is no limit to the height the block I mentioned can be used ... have seen them on two-storey buildings.

As for sliding them over the rebar ... you can of course keep the rebar in short lengths and insert new pieces as the height increases ... as long as the new piece overlaps with the lower piece there's no sacrifice in strength.

Anyone interested in them in the Chiang Mai area ... they are called Serene Blocks and manufactured just north of Maejo centre on the 1001 Phrao road that comes up from the Super Highway. Last time I bought they were 14 Baht a piece [for the plain ones] but that was two years ago. So a lot more expensive than the crumbly standard cement block to build a wall but a major increase in strength and functionality.

Sorry should have clarified limited to 2.5 meters as a retaining function after that you need wider ?? and heavier
rebar ""cages"" ofsetting the rebar front back (zig zag) increases the strength as oposed to a straight line

in Germany i have seen four floors again there though you would have to take into acount the compressive strength different manufacturers have dufferent standards/recomendations back filled they are shuttering
the concrete is the supporting structure

Good info though just need more supliers one nr sattahip would be nice
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm

An extensive search in my area for proper Besser-style blocks was futile although one supplier told me he would make all I wanted IF I bought the machine! :lol:

Here's some random shots of what we did.

SANY0127.JPG

SANY0175.JPG

SANY0195.JPG

SANY0226.JPG

SANY0229.JPG

SANY0293.JPG
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby pattayapope » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:27 pm

Looking good Elgato nice to see you posting again[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks! I've got a lot of catching up to do.
elgato

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:09 pm

Some random pics of my perimeter wall.

SANY0498.JPG

SANY0390.JPG

SANY0407.JPG

SANY0535.JPG
elgato

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:13 pm

More wall pics:

SANY0541.JPG

SANY0542.JPG

SANY0548.JPG

SANY0551.JPG
elgato

Postby singhma » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi there ..looks good..
I will post link for concrete block as one pictured in above post...http://www.wongklom.co.th/wallblock.htm

Cheers keep up the good work..
singhma

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:45 pm

singhma wrote:Hi there ..looks good..
I will post link for concrete block as one pictured in above post...http://www.wongklom.co.th/wallblock.htm

Cheers keep up the good work..

Thanks for the link. I will show it to my block supplier when I'm ready to start my main build.
elgato

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Time for another update. The fill dirt is in for the main house, a total of 192 loads if memory serves. So, now that I'm waiting for the dirt to go down and the USD to go up :roll: we've decided to jump to phase 3 and build our cabana/guest house which will be temporary quarters for me and the wife.

My Beach House.JPG

This was my first cabana in Thailand years ago but my wife wanted something a little bit different. Pics of "different" to come. :D
elgato

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Some pics of the cabana build:

SANY0317.JPG

SANY0321.JPG

SANY0334.JPG

SANY0341.JPG

SANY0343.JPG

SANY0345.JPG

SANY0351.JPG
elgato

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story