Ban Seua Dao The House of "We'll Dispute" Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Ban Seua Dao The House of "We'll Dispute" Kanchanaburi

Postby elgato » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Well it's off with the gloves and Katie bar the door. I'm not quite ready to get started but here goes anyway.

The basics first.

33 rai of land currently "rented" out. The plan is to select an area of approximately 50x80m (2.5 rai) enclosed by a 2m wall on three sides and a 1m wall with iron fencing or something else in the front, selected for the best view and access with a set-back of about 40-50 meters from the road for appearances and privacy from any future development across the "street". The current plan is for a one storey house of 180-200 m2 (and growing!) The house plan I have in mind is a "U" shape with a swimming pool situated in the center of the U. Somewhat similar to apetley's design.

My proposed budget is as follows:

House build - 180-200 m2 living space - Bt2,000,000 plus 20% for price increases, etc.
Pool, perimeter wall and basic landscaping - Bt1,000,000
Constructive advice from CTH contributors - Free (Yes, I'll buy the beer! :lol: )

The pool I have in mind is a basic 4x10 m with 1m depth extending to a maximum of 2m.

I don't want to have marble floors, fluted columns, gold faucets (taps) or any of that nonsense. A "westernized" 3 bedroom, 3 bath comfortable house is my goal.

We'll be going to make the site selection next month with hopes of making the first "holes" (footings,etc.) before Loy Krathong. I think I've timed the start of the build perfectly to coincide with the end of the rainy season and to include calendar new year, Chinese new year and Thai new year (Songkrhan) to disrupt any progress that I think is being made.

I'll be burning 9 sticks (the proper # when asking Buddha for a favor) and paying off all of the senior monks at the local temples to encourage the USD to resurrect itself temporarily so I can make an advantageous currency transfer and make it all happen.

I'm looking forward to help, criticism, suggestions and whatever.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Re: Baan Seua Dao - The Money Pit - Kanchanaburi

Postby martin b » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:41 am

Hi elgato, here's wishing you good luck with you're venture and looking forward to a good entertaining build.

Cheers, martin b :D
martin b

Postby tothemark » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:43 am

Yes, Elgato, Best of British to you, looking forward to seeing the plans on here and joining with you in both the good times and the bad times of the project (let there be few of the latter).
tothemark

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:45 am

elgato wrote:Well it's off with the gloves and Katie bar the door. I'm not quite ready to get started but here goes anyway.

The basics first. The current plan is for a one storey house of 180-200 m2 (and growing!)

This sounds great a totally new aproach grow your own tomatoe,s grow your own mushrooma now grow your own house :mrgreen:

elgato wrote: CTH contributors - Free (Yes, I'll buy the beer! :lol: )
Will you be laying on tea for the British contingency :D

elgato wrote:
I don't want to have marble floors, fluted columns, gold faucets (taps) or any of that nonsense.

why not ? :mrgreen:

elgato wrote:I'm looking forward to help, criticism, suggestions and whatever.

you should get plenty of that

good luck with the build but what you need is a builder that has studied CTH the problem is we learn from each others mistake,s but the important people to us The Builders thay learn nothing so the same mistakes are repeated
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks all for the encouragement :D

For geordie - NO TEA!

I'm also doing a rethink on the marble :wink:
elgato

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:22 pm

Well there,s the first criricism NO TEA to an englishman well to a geordie englishman is saying don,t visit you are not welcome !i don,t want you here Well not to worry i am thick skinned and will bring a flask !! :oops: :D
Now get on and put some rough design,s up
please :D
geordie

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:37 pm

Well, I was going to post a preliminary floorplan but am told my picture is too large. Any suggestions on resizing would be helpful.
elgato

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:49 pm

this does not work on widows 7
photo into my pictures :)
down the left hand side it come with lots of options one option is to e mail the photo this is a default setting by explorer i think :? but unless you have set up an e mail account it bounces the e mail which is what you want it to do because when you tell it you want to e mail the picture it will ask do you want to reduce the picture ? yes then send the reduced picture to a non exixting address you will then get an error message with the bounced e mail
and you picture,s attached i then click the little attachment logo on the e mail to open the reduced picture and chose save to dektop so from there when you go to upload attachment on the forum choose browse then desktop you should have the reduced picture in front of you
after you select make sure you put inline each time before you upload the next
geordie

Postby tothemark » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I use Photoscape for getting my pics on here and the good thing about it is - its free !

Just click the resize and change the pixel size around 600 does the trick for me.

http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html
tothemark

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:28 pm

My son put something like that on for me but being useless i used to forget what or where i was suposed to drag copy double click i discoverd the other method by accident and it works
Its idiot proof = i can do it
geordie

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:48 pm

tothemark wrote:I use Photoscape for getting my pics on here and the good thing about it is - its free !

Just click the resize and change the pixel size around 600 does the trick for me.

http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html

Thanks,I'll download this and give it a try. :D
elgato

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:50 pm

geordie wrote:this does not work on widows 7
photo into my pictures :)
down the left hand side it come with lots of options one option is to e mail the photo this is a default setting by explorer i think :? but unless you have set up an e mail account it bounces the e mail which is what you want it to do because when you tell it you want to e mail the picture it will ask do you want to reduce the picture ? yes then send the reduced picture to a non exixting address you will then get an error message with the bounced e mail
and you picture,s attached i then click the little attachment logo on the e mail to open the reduced picture and chose save to dektop so from there when you go to upload attachment on the forum choose browse then desktop you should have the reduced picture in front of you
after you select make sure you put inline each time before you upload the next

Thanks geordie but seems like too much work for this old cat. I'm going to give tothemark's suggestion a try.
elgato

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:04 pm

Here's a ROUGH idea of my floor plan using MVH. There will be a 4x10 pool in the center area. I'm still in the learning curve for this program (albeit SLOWLY). Thanks again to tothemark for the software tip :wink: Now that I know photoscape works I'll go back to my MVH plans and do a couple more snapshots to give you a better idea of what I want to build.
Attachments
Plan B resize.jpg
elgato

Postby geordie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:41 pm

elgato wrote:
Thanks geordie but seems like too much work for this old cat. I'm going to give tothemark's suggestion a try.
you did good i had a go and have no idea where the picture went
i reduced to 400 and cut it in half then lost the half ?? me an computers will never be friends
geordie

Postby elgato » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Thanks geordie - maybe a cup of Earl Grey's finest in it for you in the future :P
I can't explain the weird blue objects in the post. Any MVH professionals out there?
elgato

Next

Return to Your Building Story