Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby olavhome » Thu May 23, 2013 2:55 am

Thanks for the idea about the glass bricks. My onlu worry is that the shower is inside and maybe there will be to much gathering of ladies come see my contures taking shower :lol:
However, when making the shop we also installed gutters with downfall. Here is the sight meeting me when returning :o
Asking what happened was told that the dog (who take her purpose as watch dog veery serious) had heard some rats inside and done her best to get rid of them. TIT but belive it or not :?:
Luckily she is not so angry about falangs and we are really god friends :?
DSC00109.JPG
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat May 25, 2013 1:18 pm

DSC00118.JPG

Have planned to make this a kind of fish pond. See that in the dry season ground water go away. Thinking about cealing the bottom so water dont go away, then use water from gutters from future house and also from french drains to refill it. Also overflow water from the vegetables garden. But guess no kind of plastics cover will be strond enough for the purpose, so need to make it of cement. Thinking about making some kind of "steps" in the start, then on top cover it with stone. Guess need to be about 10 cm in bottom and maybe 10-5 cm on sides and with steel about same as pools (any opinions :?: ) Also think I need some pump system to change the water so fish can survice, maybe use water for garden watering and then refuelling it.
DSC00125.JPG

Did understand Im not 30 years anymore and asked my workers to do the digging for the pipes for water from future house/garen to the pond. For doing digging from all 4 corners of vegetable garden, making new post in front perimeter wall, making cement base for new steel gate they asked for thb 10.500 because of "very hard digging and very warm".
DSC00120.JPG

My plans for cementing the pond from another angle. Can se the "steps" and plan top of water levellin no 2. Then in rainy season it can go some higher but have installed drainpipe about 50 cm from top, leading overflow water to rice field.
DSC00122.JPG

Also make walkway along perimeter wall. My workers surprised i wanted the steel mesh to strengten the cement.
DSC00135.JPG

New steel gates arrived. For both i paid thb 40.000,- installed. Big one 4 meters and the other 1 meter, the latter to be closed by using key. This should be of "number one steel quality". When discussing the price the man said there was 2 qualitys, many used second one, but this should be no 1. Well, time will show :| .
DSC00131.JPG

Chaning post for entrance gate. When making the perimeter wall my wife (me being in Norway at the time) we wantet also small entrance together with the big one for cars. Unfortunately she had to go to Embassy in Bangkok for 2 days, on return finding they had "forgot" :twisted: We have been thinking since about what to do, so now we did take away the wall and increase the size of the post. Workers did a good job connecting steel in new part with steel of the old, so think/hope it will be ok.
For the job with this, and also for taking out holes in perimeter wall with vegetable garden, making pathway and making also the 2 boxes for veggies they charged me thb 15.000,-
DSC00124.JPG

Thai kitche almost finishet. For the work with the kitchen/changing fromt of it they charged thb 12.000
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun May 26, 2013 11:58 am

Sitting on the beach in Jomtien relaxing before returning to Norway, wife had her daily call to MIL. MIL asking where she could make rice house :o . Cant understand why she didnt talk about that when we all were at the spot, but waited until we had left. Well, maybe the idea was new, or maybe she and my wife had talked about that, without telling me :? .
Anyway; told my wife ( as polite as possible) that MIL could make a rice house anywhere on the land for the shop she liked. But if she was thinking on making it outside that, the land belonged to wife and myself, and it was up to us to decide location, as well as building a "rice house". Maybe not for them the ideal answer, but felt needed to make clear :evil:
If make this rice house (and maybe smart to do so :wink: ) like to make it in blocks and then make som kind of arrangement to place the rice bags inside 40-50 cm up from cement floor. Also like make it in a standard fitting with future house for ourself. Else, fear they make it "thai-style", using old materials for keep costs as low as possible. MIL did put a pump for 8 meter deep well on the backside of (of course) our land, and think make a combination so make shed for the pump into the wall of the rice house. However, have to fill up some dirt, so think it has to wait until come back next time, because like to be on the spot when something happen on our land :)
DSC00136.JPG
Hopefully 4X4 meter should be big enough. Asking about how many bags of rice she said up to 25. Like to include shelter for pump inside the front wall of the rice house and make the entrance between pump and perimeter wall.

DSC00137.JPG
Can see present "pump house" made by themselves in front. Plan use perimeter wall as one of the walls in the rice house.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:36 pm

Just returned to winternorway after a month in winterthailand.
See that terasse roof on shophouse have got some stains, not sure if leaks on roof or just humid due to possible lack of ventilation. The outer part of the roof seems ok, so maybe just need to remove the old and install same under the whole roof.
Any opinions appreciated :?:
DSC00157.JPG

Also started work on the future sala and on the combined "storage/rice house". They both will be 4xr meters and perimeter wall will be one wall. Grade of rof 35 and roof overhang 1 meter. Like to be on the spot when work is done, and being 4 weeks delivery of exella roof tiles had the result that this time only some of the block/colums work was done. Also put some pipes inside for future eletric.
DSC00169.JPG
Future storage/rice house. Plan have 1 meter door close to the perimeter wall and another 2,5 meter "garage door" beside for "larger items"

Also anabled myself to do some activity to locals admiration. Did normally start at 7.30 morning so "papa" busy when our workers arrived at 8 :wink:
DSC00158.JPG
Nice size but very compact rubber wheels and had to be careful when driving so no accident if I should hit anything on the ground.
olavhome

Postby gliffaes » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:46 pm

Have a similar barrow to yours with inflatable wheel, however they cant make them here for toffee, centre of gravity on them is way out, legs arent splayed enough outwards, no grips on handles, result barrow tips over often when loading almost anything unless you throw it all to the front first. No thought gone into it at all really...... no surprise :lol:
gliffaes

Postby fredlk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:07 pm

gliffaes wrote:they cant make them here for toffee, centre of gravity on them is way out, legs arent splayed enough outwards, no grips on handles

Balanced, grips, Made in Thailand:
IMG_3302.jpg
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:50 pm

fredlk wrote:
gliffaes wrote:they cant make them here for toffee, centre of gravity on them is way out, legs arent splayed enough outwards, no grips on handles

I like pneumatic tyres for the bigger footprint but the strong UV here can knock them out very quickly .... always park out of the sun when not in use!

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:26 pm

MGV12 wrote: .... always park out of the sun when not in use!

And out of the rain. I removed it from the basement for a more photogenic shot.
fredlk

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:39 pm

IMG_3302.jpg
[/quote]

Guess this one can be used successfully also after a couple (or 5-6-7) of chang :lol:
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:00 am

I think we have done the thing on wheel barrows. For some strange reason the Thai's can't or will not make a decent barrow, as mentioned before we have at least a dozen makes of barrows available in Oz , all coming from China now. All in packs ,bolted together ,no fragile welds to break on the first heavy use. The cheapest landed and sold retail for B3,000 and thats with a wide wheel and poly tray. Even if you forget the cheap labour costs in Thailand than even China has( to make them in Thailand), there must be some sort of restriction on imports from China to Thailand if they can't be brought in and sold below the Oz retail price.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:28 am

Here's some of the range in Bunnings.
Attachments
IMG_0674.JPG
From B3,000 up to B6,000 for the extra heavy /duty and probably too big for the average Thai.?
Mike Judd

Postby sjeng » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:22 am

no mather what type or brand.
all thai do push the wheels into the mud.
DONT PUSH THE WHEELBARROW TURN AROUND AND PULL Its a lot easyer to handle.
sjeng

Postby olavhome » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:22 am

Plan to finish roof of Sala and "Rice House" when back for 3 weeks in end of march.
Will have Excella Classic roof tiles on the 2 builds, same that for future house.
Originally liked to have design called "Black Onyx" , but seems like it have been deleted from production. :(
At least thats what my wife has been told from Buriram Home Pro.
However, they can supply me with design called Excella Classic "Blue Cordier" which seems to be very dark blue :?

Unfortunately they say 2-3 weeks delivery, so we have to order from Norway. I really hate not be on site and able to go to the shops myself :evil:
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:54 am

Been in contact with local builder shop, ending up with the" blue cordier" design because" black onyx" not available :( , 80% happy at the moment.
Price Tbh 73,- each and they dont say anything about extra for rigde tiles. Wife did the talking and had just asked for price.
Think ok if they use same for all, price list say thb 80 and 230 for the rigde tiles.
1 month delivery and we had to pay thb 50.000 on ordering. Thats less than 50%. Delivery is ok with our next "holiday" to Thailand, and we keep fingers crossed :roll:
Did, after advice from building company in Norway, calculate 15% extra for loss due to cutting at the rigdes etc. :idea:
No poblem if get to much, guess can use on main house next year, hopefully colourd dont differ that much.
olavhome

Postby brianks » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Factor in also broken tiles when delivered. We have Excella tiles on our house and Work room and when unpacked to put up on roof, was surprised at the number broken. Could run up to 10% broken. Keep track of number broken and request replacement. We purchased through Home Mart and they were willing to replace the broken ones but in the end didn't need any replacements and just took credit for them.
brianks

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story