Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby olavhome » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Now iron gate in the back ok. 4 meter price thb 12.000,-.
Did make extra solid in the bottom so dogs cant come trough.
Also roof for thai kitchen almost finished just inside.
Now just waiting for the steel gate in front to be finaished. But since only a single, 1 meter gate, seems like shop dont look at is as priority work :(

921001577_82628.jpg
Iron gate in the back.
921001577_82628.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm

Steel gate for front and small steel fence on top of perimeter wall finally arrived. Daughter decided on design, think turn out ok. :roll:
Had told earlier that gate should open turning in, so dogs could not open and run into the street. Have not asked if they remembered, time will show :wink:
Also daughter took picture at the front showing glass door in front of shop. Said they need have because when strong wind/rain , not posssible to have shop open.
Has resultet in need of air condition, which was installed last week. So now, hope everthing is ok at the moment, exept the troble with bed smell at WC, but that have to wait until november. :roll:
[attachment=1]1990492860_
[attachment=0]1130330602]
Attachments
1130330602_115989888.jpg
Also see the old antenna has been moved from old house, so happiness soon complete.
1130330602_115989888.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
1990492860_116522522.jpg
See gras is growing rapidly in the front, has to get "round-up" or some other brand before making asphalt in november.
1990492860_116522522.jpg (19.43 KiB) Viewed 1913 times
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Alarm from sunny paradise :evil:

Correction- rainy paradise :|
Rainy season has startet and this week moment of truth for roof. Had been some small leaks before, but builder had done repairs (or say so).But this week water was coming from roof into both shop and living room. Of course, not good for inner ceiling (as well as rest of building), so phone call came within minutes
I suggested when heard of the first leak they should rent the local fire truck which is stationed 100 meters from house and let them put some water over the roof to check out. Didnt happen becouse of a cost question :?
Anyway, the builder and wife is now building house in Bangkok and do not take or open phone, so family ties (he was of course some kind of cousin to someone) is at the monent on the egde of breaking :cry:
Have told wife that she should tell her mothe hire 2 changs with good reputation to fix the roof as soon as possible, before more damage is made.
Then get a receipt from them when she pais and later (hopefully) present it to the builder.
He guaranteed his work for 1 year, so if she is lucky, she get some of her money back.

What to be learned from this: Always check out roof with some water before go further on the build. :roll:
olavhome

Postby Galee » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:59 pm

geordie wrote:When you get it in make sure you pour concrete down the pipe ?? so it stays in :mrgreen: 1 1/2 meter,s will do no good if they pull it out and bolt off with it

I hope you didn't do this. Crazy idea. :shock:

What happens if cable goes faulty? Your stuffed. Better to include a draw rope in with the original cable so that it can be easily replaced if need be.
Galee

Postby olavhome » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Maybe the last one should be posted on another tread :idea: :idea: :)
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:35 am

DSC00067.JPG

DSC00071.JPG
Had told i wanted fence directly outside 2nd column. Result speak for itself. Did change by myself so ok.

DSC00076.JPG
Did plant some palms and didnt like it to dry completely in the sunshine. Put 1 meter of this down to roots som watering can be better.

DSC00082.JPG
Distgance to goverment water from electic pole. Just so I know for future.

DSC00087.JPG
Finished result of shed. On the other side roofed place to sit and eat nd drink outside shop.

DSC00090.JPG

DSC00091.JPG
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:26 am

With limited Info on your leaking roof, you would want to access your roof space to see where it's coming in if possible. Looking at your pictures I would suspect it's the "Valleys" where the problem could be. With heavy rain they become rivers increasing their flow at the lower end. If they are not wide enough under the tiles, or don't have a large enough turn up on the edges, the water is going to pour in there. That's where I would be looking.
Mike Judd

Postby olavhome » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:28 pm

MIL did make contact with a man that looked at the roof and he did some replacements and havent heard anything after. Hopefully now ok. :D

Also did some planting on our own plot for future house for doing something funny and not only work on shop. Did plan 2 Bismarck Palms, Traveller Palm, Lipstick Palm ang couple other. Did put pipe with holes under root for ease watering, so interesting to see how work out. Has hired 12 yrs old son of Phens brother to water weekly and also take away paper,plastics etc that been trown by locals that dont care. Pay him thb 500 monthly. Phen told him that im very hard boss and that I can see if any paper/plastics been on land long time when we return end march, and he will surely lose his new job if I find any :twisted:
DSC00077.JPG

DSC00078.JPG

The most important work carried out under our stay in november was making concrete outside shop/our own future entrance. Total ca 560m2 with 10 cm CPAC and mesh and 10 mm iron on some spots.
First got offer from company on thb 325.000, but when said I like check out on internet forum for falang about thailand building he promptly redused to 275.000 :lol: . However, desided to hire lokals do the job and buy the materials myself, total cost ended on thb 134.000,- :D
olavhome

Postby pattayapope » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:16 pm

Good one Olave shows how much profit the guys get if you dont know how much things cost :D [*]
pattayapope

Postby olavhome » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:25 am

Wish was back in LOS. Left Bangkok temp plus 35, arrived Stavanger Norway minus 8. Thats a week ago and freezing as h... since.
Today more snow coming, tormorrow predict stormy weather, turning to rain (which mean ice freezing on the ground)
MERRY CHRISTMAS :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
DSC00094.JPG
Situation just outside our bedroom window at the moment. At least no sound from Aircon try keep temperature down
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Still winter and unfortunately may not come to los before april, due to Norwegian Government working cha cha with permanent residence permit for Phen.
So today gone ice skating,which was exiting for her. (very slippery and afraid of breaking legs) :P

But it provides time to plan what do do when come back next time.
In beginning we separated the land where we will make garden from the land where we have vegetables and fruit ,with a wall. After finishing all perimeter walls, have startet thinking its nice to look trough it, into the garden for the "veggies" Therefore plan to take out some of the cement to make kind of "windows" making it better for wind to blow trough, and also to hang some orchids etc. Plan to make a kind of sala in the back corner of the garden, will be more nice to sit there and also be able to overlook both garden and fruit/vegetables.
However, tink I need make som kind of shade on top, not sure about how yet :?:
DSC00104.JPG

Also plan to make some kind of "boxes" to plant vegatables. Thing lenght 6 m wide 1,5 and heigh 0.6m. Have som stones in bottow for water to go away trough opening in rendering. Plan make of red bricks.
DSC00103.JPG

Last time in LOS I made som temorary gate from wood and barbed wire into the land. Reason because stupid cow had used my only mango tree with fruit for dessert. So think this time I will make permanent steel gate to make sure the incident will not be repeated. Also my family at the spot know about my feelings about the incident :evil:
Also plan make a concrete walkway about 1 meter wide along the perimeter wall
DSC00105.JPG
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:54 pm

Also plans for the house are taking shape. We did see a house in a book and have made some alternations. Unfortunatealy still 2 looong years before build can start, but hopefully time go leu leu :) . Having the build of the shop in memory, and also remembering what had been written on this site, will not start before I/we can bee on the spot very close to 24/7 :evil:
DSC00100.JPG

This is the picture we did see in the book and used for basic layout.

DSC00097.JPG

This if for garage which plan to be placed 2 meters from the house. Plan to make Wc also for people come visit in the back. (wife idea :idea: ) Also in the back plan to have shower for pool, washing macine and also tanks for water.(During daytime very low pressure on government water.)

DSC00095.JPG

This if for the front and the left side of the house. Guess workers have to show some craftmanshipi for the roof :shock:
See now forgot the 2 others, will come later :?

DSC00098.JPG

Layout for the house. Not big, about 110m2, but enough for 2 people. Total of 3 bedrooms ( one being used as study/libary/buddha-room)

DSC00099.JPG

Plan of house and garden.

DSC00101.JPG

Plan for kitchen. Already decide to move washing machine outside to to the back of garage.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:13 pm

[attachment=0]DSC00096.JPG[/attachment
The top is the side towards east with swimmingpool/big terrace and garden. On the bottom is the side to garage. Plan to have no window in bathroom/wc hopefully should be enough with ventilator using low effect most of the time (more if needed :wink: ) If not able go get in LOS will bring from Norway.
Plan roof have an angle of 35 with a modest "chinese/japanese dip" at the lower and of the roof.
Attachments
DSC00096.JPG
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Wed May 22, 2013 3:43 am

Returned to Norway yesterday after 4.5 week early holiday in Buriram. Even if 2 more years to start building our own house had some projects going to keep myself occupied :)
First of all I had decided to "open up" the wall between land for house/garden and the land for fruit and vegetables for letting wind come trough and also getting a more nice view. Phens mother had made an 8 meter deep well, but water turned out with much iron. She had also used it against the wall, thats the reason for the brown/yellow color. Needless to say, we now only use this water for watering plants and use government water for other purposes.
When the workers startet make out the change in the wall they startet drill some small holes around the egde (a few) and then started banging the wall with slegdehammers. In advance had asket if use angle grinder in my thai finger language, getting krap krap in return.. As precaution had brought my own agle grinder together with diamond blade. Fearing they would destroy other rendering and wall I let them use my own for the initial cutting work.
DSC00111.JPG

Also my wife liked to make a Thai kitchen into the storage room. First had to take old door away and change with windows. Being Thailand they also made the first priming of the paint before outside work finished.
DSC00112.JPG

Inspired of examples from this site, we desided to raise land for growing some vegetables. Getting older and with bad back from time to time :(
Also, hopefully, more easy to keep wet from watering since the land come 10 cm from the top. Size, 4x1.50x0,60 meters each.
DSC00123.JPG

Made a cement pathway 1 meter wide on outside of wall. Therefore had to place pipe for future connection with french drain in the garden into position. Also made ready spots to take overflow rainwater from vegetables garden into the dam, not showing in this picture.
DSC00128.JPG

Getting the pipe under the wall made me have to do some serious digging, an opportunety to find the wall about 40cm deep, think thats ok.
DSC00134.JPG
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I never put any windows in my two bathrooms either, relying on ceiling exhaust fans for ventilation wired to the light switches. But I had a big section of the outside walls done in glass bricks that are obscure but let in plenty of light. Just a thought for you.!
Mike Judd

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story