Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby olavhome » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 am

Oh happy day :D :D :D

Got pictures. Inside tiling mostly complete. Made larger 60cm tiles inside house with better quality then originally planned, thanks to discussion on this forum :) . 40 cm inside shop part, both white (and hopefully remaining so). Inside garage for car they made lightly tan with a pattern, hopefully the car will be happy with that. The builder (name Rung) did lay the tiles himself. Starting out the had arranget with i Kmer man to do the tiling, but this mad had done the work in the night time , whith a result Rung didnt axept. :lol: So he fired him and did it himself to be sure of the quality. The Kmer did claim his salary and Rung did pay him of his own money. Rung felt sorry for the incident, the Kmer had helped him som years ago when Rung didnt have any work, so Rung had hoped to help him this time.
1967671085_-1445821661.jpg
Tiles for Toyota, hopefully car happy about them
1967671085_-1445821661.jpg (18.92 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

Also railing on the back terasse is finished. Top will be tiled same as the floor on the terasse. Said to be a kind of parquet "look alike". Im a little nervous :?
1461961231_-1445454256.jpg
Bak of the house . Terasse 4x11meter.
1461961231_-1445454256.jpg (19.51 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Attachments
689005346_-1444743315.jpg
Rung tiling inside house
689005346_-1444743315.jpg (13.11 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
olavhome

Postby Ajax » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:52 am

Hei Olav.

Underground electric cable is no problem. I have done in my house in the Buriram province. The cable will be inside a waterproof pvc-pipe (yellow) made for the purpose.
To get a clever electrician in Thailand is more difficult then get 7 correct in lotto.

I was very lucky with mine.

Ajax ( Terje)
Ajax

Postby olavhome » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks, Im hoping for the best :? I understand that cable has to be buried about 1.5 meter beside the road, meaning the we surely will need a pole up to our property. (Had hoped to bury cable from nearest pole, 40 meters away from our property, but "mai pen rai". But from that spot and up to new build it about 45 meters where I like electric to come in cable. Luckily my wife feel the same, but not sure about MIL care to much :wink: (and she is the one talking to obator)
olavhome

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:55 pm

olavhome wrote:Thanks, Im hoping for the best :? I understand that cable has to be buried about 1.5 meter beside the road, meaning the we surely will need a pole up to our property. (Had hoped to bury cable from nearest pole, 40 meters away from our property, but "mai pen rai". But from that spot and up to new build it about 45 meters where I like electric to come in cable. Luckily my wife feel the same, but not sure about MIL care to much :wink: (and she is the one talking to obator)

When you get it in make sure you pour concrete down the pipe ?? so it stays in :mrgreen: 1 1/2 meter,s will do no good if they pull it out and bolt off with it
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby olavhome » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:14 am

Latest reports make me optimistic about underground electic cable. Seems like we have to make a pole at the road at the border of our land and then take cable from that spot. Hope we are lucky and "mai peng rai" if have to pay for one extra pole :| .
Also people come install the metal sliding gates for front of garage and shop. Will ave a kind of creme colour and both 3.5 meters wide.
Total price will be Thb 18.000,-.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Today not so popular falang :( . Wife have a brother, married in Roi Et. Stay in Pattaya selling t-shirts. Yesterday wife told that she and MIL had been discussing about him also getting part of our land to make house beside MIL (other side of where we plan for us).
Unfortuneately wife had said the belived it to be ok.
Told wife I was not so happy about it, because I liked open space and felt been "jai di" when said ok to MIL/daughter make their new house beside us. ( Present house i 1 km away and ok standard).
Also brother is at kind of "my pen rai" person about keeping tings ship shape, so I was not happy about their plans. So at the moment guess in a litte "falang jai mued" :twisted:
Guess some of you in this forum has experienced similar problems by yourself.

But - life is good anyway :P :P :P :P
Now only 2 more days of work and then holiday and Muang Thai sawadee krap :D .
Look really forward to see the house myself.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:13 am

Got back from Thailand last night :cry: . House for MIL/and daughter mostly finished. Have experienced samt as many other in this forum, even if have comitted thai wife and access to internet, misunderstanding come easy. Best is to be on site, all the time. Will definately do that when making our own house. (and also learn thai words about the building process- I thint vital to avoid misunderstandings).
Wife has told wanted "creme colour". Unfortunately shop seemed to have preferred "citrus creme" more than "vanilla creme".
So repaint was the first task to be done, and everyone was plesed with finished result.
DSC00019.JPG
Citrus coloured house

Also had gutters made for the house. 64 meters total with 5 downfalls at a total of thb 23.000,-.
DSC00024.JPG
Making ready for pipes to take rainwater away to rice field. Also did connect 2 small pipes taking graywater from kithen/bathroom.Colour of house changed to "vanilla".

More to follow...
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:55 pm

DSC00025.JPG

The soil was hard clay and not easy to dig in 10cm pipes for taking rainwater from the roof to the nearby ricefield. But after adding some water to the soil it softened and made digging possible. However a warm task for faland in sunshine, but locals was impressed :lol: . Did pay thb 360 for each 4 meter blue pipe at the store in Satuk.

DSC00029.JPG
Kichen made at the spot. We had to pay for sink, plate for cooking (combined gas/electric) and also parts over the sink.

DSC00030.JPG
Making ready for taking cement beside building and wall.

DSC00031.JPG
Cement made on the spot. Normal struggle asking not to add to much water. Normal answer : krap, krap, krap :-)

DSC00035.JPG

Had told them repeatedly about making a sloope away from house and towards the road in the background. The people doing the job agreed and "understood"". This is the moment of truth :evil:
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:09 am

I'am afraid it's all going to crack on you, They don't seem to realise that that everything including concrete expands and contracts with the heat. Have a look at any large areas of concrete around and you will see cracks all over it, unless it's a new service station where expansion joints have been specified . Max distance between joints 6 mts in the length on a drive way and if between 2 walls ,joints there as well.
Mike Judd

Postby Rick B » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:15 am

Mike, can you explain how to make a good joint? I'm pouring an area 6m x 16m and would like to put in a few joints to try to prevent cracking.
Rick B

Postby olavhome » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 am

DSC00047.JPG
Bedroom. Got curtains and fittings for 4 windows made and installed for total THB 8.500. Wife say quality ok (she know more than me about textiles :-) )

DSC00048.JPG
Part of what is to be the shop.Plan to make glass slide doors inside the metal door later.

DSC00049.JPG
Looking out front door towards the road and obator. Plan to put asfalt in oct/nov. Anyone know thickness (5cm??) and price for m2??. Total area will be 640m2. Then I dont have the expansion risk as with cement.

DSC00050.JPG
Inside living room. Not pleased with some of the wall rendering arount electric, guess thats the price for not being at the spot when made.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Tue May 01, 2012 1:34 pm

DSC00037.JPG
Macro levelling the area around house. Did good job at thb 1500 pr hour. Plan make asphalt in this area in front house in october.

DSC00038.JPG
Doing same in the back/garden. The stick marks where perimeter wall is coming. Work started now, (but no photoes). Price for work thb 600 pr meter + materials.

DSC00040.JPG
Almost finished levelling. In the front show where digging for pipe for water from the road being made.

DSC00041.JPG
Finished levelling back side.

DSC00042.JPG
Made for take away water from road. Placed in corner with our land near second pole. Cement pipe 60cm. Made a 90 bend on pipe going out. Make safety for is sand is coming into it during rain period this year (when im not there and no asphalt is made yet) the pipe is blocked when sand reach veritcal pipe and dont go in. Pipe coming in is coming from our land, taking away rain water.

DSC00043.JPG
Finished result of unsuccessful slope. Builder first tried add extra cement but (of course) no success. But learned me a lesson about doblechecking.

DSC00044.JPG
Electric poles installed. Cable in ground into house and made also ready for internet cable. Had hoped for just one pole should be enough (most distant) and then cable to house over land where we will build later, but that seemed impossible. Remembering whats said about not possible to win all battles said "Mai pen rai".
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 01, 2012 3:49 pm

The normal max between joints is 5 --6 mt, any sort of crushable material can go in the joints if proper expansion joint is not obtainable . Even wood which is taken out after can be used.(It will come out easy when dry) then fill the top of the gap with bitumen mastic. If it has been done with out joints, make cuts across the concrete with Grinder/Saw what ever, every 3mts or so, and hopefully any cracks will follow the cuts. If you take the trouble to look at large areas of concrete or pebble-crete around pools that don't have joints, you will see cracks. The house looks great !
Mike Judd

Postby olavhome » Tue May 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks, they seems to be happy about it. And guess will be more so when perimeter wall finisher.
But, they like to make Thai kitchen outside-guess "falang kitchen will be a kind of show-off :wink:
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Now perimeter wall finished. Also ordered 2 gates for the property, one small steel gate towards road and placed between the house and our perimeter wall and another 4 meter wide for car entrance in the back. This second one will be ordinary iron gate with rolling wheels. Told family to ask manufacturer to prime the iron gate properly.
Gates was originally planned to be delivered last week, but TIT :evil: . Hopefully come soon.Daughter sendt only one photo taken by her mobile, not from good angle and not good quality. She promised to send more when gates installed, hopefully they be more informative
688545034_10972006.jpg
Perimeter wall seen from ricefield. Think matching white and creme colour turned out ok
688545034_10972006.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
:twisted:
olavhome

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story