Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby pipoz » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:32 pm

olavhome wrote:Also about the palms, Im sure mamy members will be interested.
In "Europe" at garden centers plants are marked With national as well as latin names.
In LOS nothing, at if you ask for name you mostly get som thai name which is easy forgotten since dont tell you so much.
Also I have never seen a price tag, you always has to ask the staff, so you never sure if being "falanged" or not :?

On the other hand, Christmas Eve finished. Not the peaceful on as planned and expected.
At 4.30 afternoon wife planned do some Gardening at shop/mums house.
Suddenly hit water pipe, buried 5 cm under topsoil.
Then we had "fun" for next 4 hours try to stop it, as, of cours plumming had been done as when stopped the leak pipe also the rest of house was stopped.
Why can they work an extra hour and put the pipes at least at 40 cm :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Ps: dont need to answer :D :D )

Here is the initial Palm Price spreadsheet that I did several weeks back and one sample picture.

When I have finished cross referencing the Palm Picture Nos to it, I will post it under my build. Plus next time I am back in Thailand I will update it even more, as I plan to order some more (from one of the Udon Nurseries and they will purchase them from Bangkok.So I will have some more Prices for certain trunk sizes

pipoz
Attachments
Pic No  4 - 1 Trachycarpus fortune - Chinese Fan Palm 01.jpg
Pic No 4 - 1 Trachycarpus fortune - Chinese Fan Palm 01
CTH Palm Prce 12 Dec 2015.xlsx
CTH Palm Price 12 Dec 2015
(16.37 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Most of the roof finished. Builder complain difficult roof to make and I can agree. Also to be made are the small roofs in fronts, to be matching with the main roof. Also now is visible "top roof". It comes 30 cm over the main rood and will provide ventilation for the main roof. Will need som netting to keep out the mozzies or other that will like to move in.
Also today we got 10 small trucks with dirt to fill up most of the driveway. Each truck together with tractor to Level it thb 200,- so altogetherTHB 2.000
Had some discussion about the need for dirt, seems like thais like to fill dirt on land, maybe some kind of "show-off" for Activity :D
DSCF5878.JPG
Attachments
DSCF5879.JPG
olavhome

Postby pipoz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:25 pm

Hi and what sort/name of roof tile are you using

pipoz
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:32 pm

Excella Classic, type Blue Cordier. Yes, they are deep blue, almost black. However at the moment dirty after being stored outside for 4 months.
They Are cerakic, and guaranteed to last 200 years and thats enough for me ( i think)
They are also more lightweight than cement tiles. (but a little more expensive :-( )
olavhome

Postby pipoz » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:22 pm

olavhome wrote:Excella Classic, type Blue Cordier. Yes, they are deep blue, almost black. However at the moment dirty after being stored outside for 4 months.
They Are cerakic, and guaranteed to last 200 years and thats enough for me ( i think)
They are also more lightweight than cement tiles. (but a little more expensive :-( )

OK thanks and yes I did look at them (Excella), but didn't wasn't to keen on the reflective/shinny look. I think poor Mike (Judd) went with Excella and I know Jomoblues also went with them.

I wanted a more Matt look in a Flat style, so went with the CPAC Nuestile - Trend - Grey Slate color

pipoz
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:26 pm

A couple of quiet days as the workers celebrate New Year.
Before Christmas they started working on the severage drain.
i have numerous times pointed out for the builder the importanse for sufficient slope.
Have showed him my water-pass (?) and told him the mark had to be, at least in the middle of the bubble inside if slope is enough.
And personally I feel that is a minimum.
He has ensured me that yes, measured and slope ok.
Day before New Year see that the "within seconds" had finished the drain and put 20 cm dirt all over.
So yesterday checked and found that for a couple of meters, almost no slope at all. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
My Christmas Spirit is gone and "someone" will have to do some digging when Return after "happy new year" :(
olavhome

Postby Shastadad » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:17 am

Why am I not surprised, probably the most disheartening thing about building in Thailand, they just won't listen to you, even though you are paying the bills

In their eyes you are no more intelligent than a buffalo so they don't have to listen to what you say

I wanted an outside light put up in a specific spot so it would illuminate two areas at once but all I got from the electrician was "no can". so at 67 years of age with a previously broken leg from falling off a ladder I have to climb up a ladder and CAN

DIY in Thailand means Do It Yourself because you have to
Shastadad

Postby olavhome » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Thats true, DIY is the best if possible and also save a lot of time (and grievance) try to explain.
For the outside lights i want a Central switch for all (actually I will use a photo-cell) but used some time explaining that to the electrician.
Not heard before :D
However, about the drain pipe.
Used yesterday digging away all the dirt from the buried pipe, doublecheck, so when the team and Builder arrived today i did show them.
The Builder admited i had a point, excuded himself being busy with roof tiles when pipe was done.
So their first task today was taking away more dirt and correcting the pipe.
Seems within acceptable limits now but all the extra could been easy avoidet if they had asked me to take a look before finishing.
Easy since being at the site all day, even at the actual moment was busy painting perimeter wall.

But, look at the bright side.
Some Activity (digging) is definately good for Health for mature youths.
You have to have some worries and the pipe is, after all, manageable.
And, last but not least, back home is strong gale to storm, 2 below zero and it is expected for several days.
Here, sunshine and all you need to wear is shorts and saldals :D
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:43 am

Roof coming along, builder complaining about much work and very difficult.
Falang owner agrees with him, bud tell him it looks nice and he is doing a good job.
So then he is happy for å while :-)

But strange about thai people, they want things "high".
The base of the house is about 50 cm, I say fine for me and easy to acess, wife wished higher.
Lamps outside, thais like them high up, Close to the roof overhang, I told i liked them at 1.80.
Then I said 1.90 when see chocked Builder, but maybe I change my mind back to 1.80 -- stupid falang.
Also have got the steel fence in Place and partly finishet painting perimeter wall.
Wall is a combination for light grey and white, I think it look Nice and also will improve when garden finishet, wife say boring colour :lol:
DSCF5892.JPG
Neil Arnstrong "other way around: Giant leap for man, small step for mankind"

DSCF5893.JPG

DSCF5891.JPG
olavhome

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:51 am

Yes those Thai roofers don't like the large overhangs

pipoz
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:14 pm

On the other(and even more pleasant) part of life.
Did stop at at a plant nursery in Buriram Friday. Or to be more correct, many shops situated together, so easy walk from one to another to look.
Made me remember when 18 and come into the liquer store. (at that time we had to travel 80 kilometers to buy liquer in my part of Norway)
Almost like heaven :-)
Did fill the pickup for thb 5.500,- within an hour.
But---lesson learned :-(
The NeXT day we had to plant them all, pleasent enough but took all day :lol:
olavhome

Postby pipoz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:52 pm

olavhome wrote:On the other(and even more pleasant) part of life.
Did stop at at a plant nursery in Buriram Friday. Or to be more correct, many shops situated together, so easy walk from one to another to look.
Made me remember when 18 and come into the liquer store. (at that time we had to travel 80 kilometers to buy liquer in my part of Norway)
Almost like heaven :-)
Did fill the pickup for thb 5.500,- within an hour.
But---lesson learned :-(
The NeXT day we had to plant them all, pleasent enough but took all day :lol:

Be interested in knowing what you picked up for TB 5500, plant types and how much, that is if you can remember after that bottle of Thai Whisky :roll:
pipoz

Postby olavhome » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:27 am

Different small plants, but also a couple of i think is Chameasyparis and a red lipstick palm (about thb 500) elephant foot and some others..
Did try to make photo of bill (in thai of course :? ) No positive result. Hope pics give some idea.
Roof is progessing, lot of work but takes shape.
Did buy some "decorative wood" to have under the gutter for thb 85 per one meter. Pics later :-)
My camera not quite friendly at the moment :-(
Wife (and also Builder) liked to have it at all the roof, but being afraid of "overdo" I rejected to their disappointment.
Builder have this small tractor that comes handy, both for transportation of roof tiles but also as elevator :-)
Yesterday did og buy 3 sandstone pictures. One for back garden and 2 beside carport entrance. About 140X80 at price 2700 each.
Lucky to find with "earthlike colours which also wife preferred.
Was packed in 9 boxes and we took home in pickup where I unloaded them.
My Brother in Law must be very close to the most sxxxid and lxxy man in Thailand.
Did sit 5 meters away on his big ass on a chair looking until 8 was unloaded my Yours truly.
Then he ran to assistance and I did express my gratitude.
He is renting the shop for free and quite sure MIL is paying the electrisity bill (that mean my wife who send her money even if she get visit from Bangkok Bank :-) )
He is also using our land to make watemelons i have never heard of any rent to MIL and certainly not to my wife.
Have to do something about it after house finished :-)
DSCF5897.JPG

DSCF5900.JPG

DSCF5904.JPG
From perimeder wall plan room for outside tank, then Pump room, then outside shower and last outside WC

DSCF5905.JPG
Plan sandstone motive where perimeter wall not paintet (cover up 5 year old crack not increased)

DSCF5906.JPG
Fixing 6 year primed perimeter wall. First highpressure washing, then oilbased primer and then final Paint.

DSCF5907.JPG

DSCF5903.JPG
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 am

Back in Norway for 4 days checking family and norwegian house.
Got the could chock before leaving LOS, saturday temp 41,5 the next day dropped to 27.
Anyway, before leaving did install 2 of 3 sandstone motives bought each thb 2.800,-'
The Third we okab ti ubstakk just outside bedroom door, but will wait for framework finished around windows and door to get the correct placement.
Now trust wife checking up until come back next week.
DSCF5920.JPG

DSCF5927.JPG

DSCF5921.JPG
olavhome

Postby schuimpge » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:09 pm

Looking good. I really like the roof.

Keep it up.
Luc
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story