Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby olavhome » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Now returned to Norway after late "summer holiday" for 3,5 weeks to LOS and time for an uppdate:
Originally plannet nothing to happen until nxt year march, but Muang Thai surely is the land of the unexpected.
Of course "the locals" have been waiting for progress, and 2 days after our arrival the builder came on a visit.
We had told we liked to give him an uppdate on changes to original house plans. He had his workers ready and was of the opininon that now could be a good time to start with the building of house/shop for daughter/MIL, being start of dry season.
The build is paid for by my wifes savings from her work in Norway. Have promised I pay for daughters parkquet in her bedroom :wink: , and I will also do same for asphalt beetween shop and big road (guess if not, it would not been found "important")
To make long storey shorter- the build have now started. They will do walls, roof and floor, but NOT electic spots before we return in march-12. :?
Im a little bit nervous, but the builder (name Rung) seems smart and also presented ideas of his own which was same as mine (without telling him) :wink: .
Also daughter will send us weekly photoes by phone so we can see what happening, and Im sure MIL will visit site at least 2 times daily.
Of course I worry a bit. made a point about stressing several times importance of having enough cement around the steel.
He know that we will make house for ourselves in 3 years time, and if he do a good job now he stand a better chance of getting the next one.
(which will also be more expensive)
He was told about making a 44m2 terrace in the back and expanding the roof/c-pac same. Got a price for THB 130.000,- for this, including ceramic on floor and railing all around. Will be 60 cm up from ground.
88DSCF3031.JPG
The extended roof and teracce in the back. Hight of roof minimum 180 cm inside.
82DSCF3032.JPG
4eDSCF3140.JPG
Not to much space beetween iron and sides.
20DSCF3204.JPG
5bDSCF3197.JPG
Falang trying to tell about the importance to get the iron well inside the cement.
59DSCF3111.JPG
Wise lokal talking good things about the new house and people to stay inside. Falang hoping for good things about building process.
a6DSCF3105.JPG
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:36 am

1893406426_135873126.jpg
1893406426_135873126.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
1170899446_135647152.jpg
Pict taken by daughter of phen by her mobile phone, so not best quality. Also not easy try to explain about take pictures of details. Shop will be on the left side and place for car on the right. In middle will be main entrance. Easy to see change on roof from original drawings.
1170899446_135647152.jpg (16.29 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
Construction of house started. Roof finished, now started brickwork for walls. Roof seems ok. The builder suggested small change of roof in front, resulting that entrance in middle front has to been withdrawn a litte. No big deal really, engough space inside and I think we are getting a more "straightforward" roof with lesser risk of leak.
Discussing with him on skype is not same as being on the spot, and Im absolutely certain will not do when we make our own home.
So really look forward to see the build "live" when we come to Satuk march 22th.
Attachments
13364965_135931817.jpg
Bacl of house, Roofed terasse. come about 50 cm up from dirt.
13364965_135931817.jpg (17.4 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
olavhome

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:44 pm

spanking good start!
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:45 pm

is possible to break out expenses thus far?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby olavhome » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 pm

:wink: So far paid for extra terrace/roof thb 130.000,-. Included in that price will be tiles on floor and railings. First talked about the "standard classic" 50 cm cement, bud the builder had told MIL that he also had another design, so we see what happen. This far we have paid thb 740.000,- which shall include the walls finished. Next time we will pay THB 300.0000 will be when walls rendered and pipes for electric installed. At the end we will pay the last thb 100.000,-. Then will also inside roofs be finished, electic finished (inluded 90 meter cable electic supply from nearest pole mast included in the price) and inside floors tiled. This last amount cover inside/outside painting, and windows and doors installed.
Also included in the price is tank for "grey water" and septic tank. I have showed the builder pictures of ventilation pipes inside house walls coming over the roof (falang style), he nodded, so hopefully he have done :roll: . Being unable to supervice myself and check for details is what I really hate about building from a distance :? . But march 22th will tell :)
What come extra inside and we have to pay for ourself is (as far as I see by now):
Doors, wc, shower, furnitures-in house and in shop area,kitchen,sinks. (also promised daughter parquet in her bedroom, but now she like marble :wink: .
What come extra outside will be: Perimeter wall about 70m, with gate in front and a 3 meter in the backside, steel fence on top of perimeter wall in front, asphalt beetween road and house, guttering, cement for walkways arount the house. Plan to make it as "clean and easy for maintainance" as possible.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:34 pm

1476249852_351103575.jpg
Front of build. Builder say he like to make it more "SUAY" with sandstone and lagrer corners/colums. We only pay for materials. Agreed on to wait and discuss when we come march 22th.
1476249852_351103575.jpg (13.96 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
1698012554_351063915.jpg
Taken inside kitchen towards bedroom. Not good quality, taken by daughter age 17.
1698012554_351063915.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
1989512906_350959227.jpg
Window for bedroom, small for toilet.
1989512906_350959227.jpg (10.48 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
835785478_351181307.jpg
Terrace in the rear. Window in kitchen a little shorter because had to take kitchen fittings into consideration. Will later come railingin front of terrace so it will look better.
835785478_351181307.jpg (18.46 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
262732369_351142369.jpg
Side of house to the west. Piture taken from where we plan to make house laten, showing our perimeter wall.
262732369_351142369.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 1711 times
Now outside walls is rendered ang get a better impression of the build. Also inside walls is made, but not rendered yet.
Cant really not say so much aboug the quality of his work, not being there The electicial first has to finish his job before inside rendering.
The builder has before adviced us to make the soffit under the roof over terasse in the rear of the building. Have told him before we liked to wait until come in end march. Today he told he could do for free, we only pay for the materials Thb 15.000 for 50m2. Not sure if I should de happy or not, if he has overpriced somehvere or just just jai di.
But, as he have told before, the build is good promotion for him, being close to the road and Obator with many people visiting.
Also he liked to make the entrance "spesial" with sandstone and bigger colums. Offered us same agreement, but told him to wait until and march.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:50 pm

1203835158_950046443.jpg
1203835158_950046443.jpg (20.38 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
1537491801_949971643.jpg
1537491801_949971643.jpg (12.1 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Phen talked with builder yesterday. He said he like to "make suay" around windows, we didnt need to pay at all. :D . Needless to say we said ok. Our house is the first he make in the area, so he is interested in it being ok. Also he adviced us to make sandstone in the entrance, we just pay for the materials and he do the work for free. Guess the is thinking about us making our own house in 4 years :wink:
Also the man making fence around the rice field is soon finished with his work. Not planned make this now but MIL got very angry on a Kmer in the village who let his cow go eating grass inside our land. That offence could had been forgiven but then after finish its dessert, the cow did poopoo up on our perimeter wall :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: s**t happen 8)
olavhome

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:20 am

If it crapped in the garden it would have been better :lol: but as for it eating the grass i would have considered that as being a favour it will save cutting it :lol: Take a few slices off it if it show up again it ate your grass to get fatter you want sone meat :roll: :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby olavhome » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:04 pm

If the cow was well behaved it could have done directly on the land where I plan to make garden :) I guess the dirt need some improvement before planting, so maybe I will invite the cow back for afternoon tea when present build is finished :P .
About cutting the grass I have been thinking about making a new tread " Strange items falang bring to the land of smiles".
Remembering when being young in Norway about 50 years ago and uncles/aunts come visit from USA or back from working at sea. They bring gifts from the unknown big world which made our eyes big and shining, just like Christmas :D .
When we go LOS we can bring normal items like clothes, but also tastes of Norwegian food like fried mackerel and salmon. Of course dont stay frozen until arrivel in Buriam, last time we brought 38 mackerels, who all got an extra visit to Jomtien, due to flooding in Bangkok. Looked like a mess when arrived , but family was of course happy and said seb maak maak. :wink:
But-being a building tread- I have also taken my Honda grass trimmer as hand luggage, not sure if Im "ding dong falang" :roll: . But was 10 years old and I had no use for it at home in Norway. Was very popular in village (guess the only one-very hi-so). Have told I will use when we make our own house and that they have to be VERY carefully when use. :evil: Hopefully it will be ok when our house is made in 4 years.
olavhome

Postby MGV12 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:21 pm

olavhome wrote:When we go LOS we can bring normal items like clothes, but also tastes of Norwegian food like fried mackerel and salmon. Of course dont stay frozen until arrivel in Buriam, last time we brought 38 mackerels, who all got an extra visit to Jomtien, due to flooding in Bangkok. Looked like a mess when arrived , but family was of course happy and said seb maak maak. :wink:

Mackerel you can surely find in Makro ... and wild Alaskan salmon ... but I didn't see any moose or reindeer last time I was there. :)

Chok Dee with your build .. seems you are lucky already to have a builder who wants to impress.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby olavhome » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:16 pm

Hate staying far away from the build-and today more snow is coming :evil: .
Very happy March 21 is coming closer.
Have told I like to have many photos showing the progress of the build, but MIL and daughter in law (DIL :?: ) feels like "nothing to report" :evil:

I have told I like to have electric coming in cable in the ground for the build, dont like poles. Think the locals dont really care to much about this, they dont worry about details.
However; MIL has talket to Obator about electric, they told had to be poles to the land, but then could take electric underground. Hopefully that is correct, meaning we have a 50 meter cable instead of a 90 meter, from todays nearest pole.
Said also that maybe had to wait for up to 1 year for electic (but did understand that a few bath could speed up the process :wink: ).

The builder is said to be working with the fence on top on the teracce in the back, also he and his wife is making the tiles on the floors by themselves.
MIL told he was afraid his staff didnt do a proper job, so he like to be sure of the quality of the work.
My wife has asked for pictures, but MIL and DIL say "wait to finish and we do". I HATE DISTANCE :lol:
olavhome

Postby elgato » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:23 pm

olavhome wrote:Hate staying far away from the build-and today more snow is coming :evil: .
Very happy March 21 is coming closer.
Have told I like to have many photos showing the progress of the build, but MIL and daughter in law (DIL :?: ) feels like "nothing to report" :evil:

I have told I like to have electric coming in cable in the ground for the build, dont like poles. Think the locals dont really care to much about this, they dont worry about details.
However; MIL has talket to Obator about electric, they told had to be poles to the land, but then could take electric underground. Hopefully that is correct, meaning we have a 50 meter cable instead of a 90 meter, from todays nearest pole.
Said also that maybe had to wait for up to 1 year for electic (but did understand that a few bath could speed up the process :wink: ).

The builder is said to be working with the fence on top on the teracce in the back, also he and his wife is making the tiles on the floors by themselves.
MIL told he was afraid his staff didnt do a proper job, so he like to be sure of the quality of the work.
My wife has asked for pictures, but MIL and DIL say "wait to finish and we do". I HATE DISTANCE :lol:

We want pictures! :D
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby elgato » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:25 pm

MGV12 wrote:
olavhome wrote:When we go LOS we can bring normal items like clothes, but also tastes of Norwegian food like fried mackerel and salmon. Of course dont stay frozen until arrivel in Buriam, last time we brought 38 mackerels, who all got an extra visit to Jomtien, due to flooding in Bangkok. Looked like a mess when arrived , but family was of course happy and said seb maak maak. :wink:

Mackerel you can surely find in Makro ... and wild Alaskan salmon ... but I didn't see any moose or reindeer last time I was there. :)

Chok Dee with your build .. seems you are lucky already to have a builder who wants to impress.

Never ate reindeer but a moose steak with eggs in the morning is a real jumpstart to my day!
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I had 270 mts of underground power supply from the Pole at the edge of the road , make sure they put in a strong draw cord when laying the pipe, also a squirt of W.D.40 on the cables when pulling them through, helps with the friction. They are more into poles, even if it's just bamboo.
Mike Judd

Postby olavhome » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Have repeatedly asked for pictures and wife say she have done same. But MIL & DIL say "wait to finished, nothing to see yet" :evil: :evil: :evil: :wink:
Guess it has something to do with they culture :?: :?:
Word say that most of inside tiling are finished and they do painting.

Also MIL has been asking around about underground electric cable. Rumours said that a man had underground cable that did "explode ???". She did go and see him and he (a teacher) told it was true, and underground cables "not good for Thailand". Have told my wife I think must have been some kind of low quality and maybe not "waterproof".
Happy now only 3.5 weeks left before can see by myself :)
olavhome

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story