my neighbours building in Sattahip

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: my neighbours building in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 pm

geordie wrote:Unusual to see Thais using mechanisation especially given the sandy nature of the soil there ?

There are 5 very poor looking Burmese doing all the work from early morning until sunset, 7 days a week. The woman who drops them off and collects them gives the instructions it seems. The fill they got was rocks and stones in charcoal coloured sand so I suppose the workers can't do the job with the tools they have.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:51 pm

fredlk wrote:
geordie wrote:Unusual to see Thais using mechanisation especially given the sandy nature of the soil there ?

There are 5 very poor looking Burmese doing all the work from early morning until sunset, 7 days a week. The woman who drops them off and collects them gives the instructions it seems. The fill they got was rocks and stones in charcoal coloured sand so I suppose the workers can't do the job with the tools they have.

And I guess the Burmese workers will get blasted if anything is not done properly which they couldn't in the first place because of lack of proper tools...sad state of affairs in Thailand.
schuimpge

Postby fredlk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:40 am

I'm not quite sure of the layout yet but it looks like the bathroom will be at the back (in the foreground of the photo). It's about 100 square metres in size:
IMG_2808.jpg

In the foreground is the top of the perimeter wall and the floor level of the house is about 1 metre down:
IMG_2804.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:59 am

The view from the next road along:
IMG_2810.jpg

IMG_2812.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:27 am

Pouring the floor. I know what's wrong here, you know what's wrong here so there is no real need to comment:
IMG_2837.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:43 pm

IMG_2862.jpg

IMG_2866.jpg
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:12 pm

The columns, floor to roof are about 4 metres high and the roof looks as if it will be almost the same. The top of my double storey's roof will be 7.5 metres so I think that their single storey house is going to look strange:
IMG_2869.jpg
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:51 pm

One thing that I have noticed with Thai construction is that some times some times if they want to elevate the structure, rather than elevate the floor beams and fill in under it with block,they lay the floor beams on the ground, then they lay a few courses of block to bring the floor to the desired floor elevation and then fill with dirt,Perhaps that's what is going on here
link to picture from TD forum, I hope this is allowed if not I apologize
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm

sirineou wrote:Perhaps that's what is going on here

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. In http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2808&p=54741#p54693 you can see them pouring the floor and this is at the base of the columns.
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:28 pm

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote:Perhaps that's what is going on here

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. In http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2808&p=54741#p54693 you can see them pouring the floor and this is at the base of the columns.

No you are not wrong,It is me who is wr... wr... Not entirely right :lol: I had not seen that picture, or if I had I had forgotten about it, :)
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:46 pm

I think I get it now. It's a Swiss chalet style roof with a very steep slope and an imposing entrance:
IMG_2871.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:20 am

fredlk wrote:Pouring the floor. I know what's wrong here, you know what's wrong here so there is no real need to comment:
IMG_2837.jpg

I think I know what they are doing,
I have seen it done before. Notice the rebar with the hook, if they are doing what I think,, they will pour a thin layer of cement, about 1 inch, then when the cement stiffens a bit, they will use the rebar with the hook and pull the wire screen up, this system eliminates the need for plastic to prevent water loss to substrate (though plastic has other uses than that) and eliminate the need for spacers.( refer to Posts: 5249)
Or I could be wrong, but since I have never being wrong before, I find it highly improbable :mrgreen:
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:20 am

Hooking the mesh up as they pour is a common way of laying driveways when not bothering with chairs under the mesh. Not as good, as the mesh ends up at different levels if care is not taken. The ideal is close to the bottom where the tension is ,but still with a min cover underneath 25m.
Using plastic under slabs is good practice as stated, where it stops the water running out taking cement with it and lost into the ground, instead a certain amount creates a skin of high gloss cement against the plastic that helps keep out moisture even when the plastic may deteriorate over time. Apart from the cost of the plastic ,none of this cost any more to do and is only important if it's YOUR slab.?
Mike Judd

Postby schuimpge » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:05 am

Checked the picture on cement floor pooring again.
If you look carefully, then you'll see some bricks here and there to lift the mesh.
Obviously not nearly enough and not good as the bricks are different material that easily let water through.

The hook Sirinou mentioned actually I think is not used as such. Think it's a support for the form work.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby schuimpge » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:09 am

Fred, correct to say the house and roof will be in shape of a T? With the top of the T facing you?
schuimpge

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story