my neighbours building in Sattahip

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

my neighbours building in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:36 am

I've decided that a new topic might be advisable although it will be more a documentary than anything else.
Their land is 50 metres down the road and then 40 metres across and 20 metres down. They have put a barbed-wire fence around and are now digging a well. We're giving them electricity for them to ventilate the well as they dig. The man - I forget his name - said this morning "Don't use family to build." He has 2 family members helping him and already has complaints, but can't say much because they're helping him.

They're building a small guest-cottage with a bathroom first so that they can apply for electricity and the Tabien Baan and after that they hope to continue building the main house in the centre of their land.

Photos taken this morning:
IMG_4042.JPG

IMG_4041.JPG
fredlk

Re: my neighbours building in Sattahip

Postby geordie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Looking at the dirt pile they have a lot of digging to do yet :(
Good veiw fred when you walk the dogs you will have to take the camera with you and grab a few :roll:
I have no doubt if you told them they were going on the internet they would pose for the pictures as well
It will be interesting to see a thai build even if it is a fly on the wall view
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:46 pm

geordie wrote:It will be interesting to see a thai build even if it is a fly on the wall view

I think I have to be discreet with taking photos because they are already feeling a little inferior what with my 49 metre borehole at 80,000 Baht, my AAC blocks at 45 Baht each, my Colorbond roof at 220,000. He's been asking prices and when I tell him I can see that he's thinking red brick and tin roof. I hope that their dug well works but I'm not so sure.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:50 pm

The arrival of the well-diggers (sounds like a movie-title):
IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4044.JPG

Today's work, after a small water-truck had deposited its load:
IMG_4048.JPG

Me from there, but it looks like I'm not at home:
IMG_4049.JPG
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:35 pm

fred you could run a pipe over there and fill it all night remove it before they arrive in the morning :mrgreen:

Ok so i have a warped sense of humor :) you could offer to put a meter in and feed water over there :idea: it might help pay for phase two :!:

How far down the pipe is your water i seem to recall 15 mtr but i am probably wrong :? He is a fair way down now to have not even hit the water table which is not a good sign but he might go another foot and bingo he has a supply
It will be interesting as i said earlier to see a thai build especially now as somebody has given him a complex? :lol: Just wait till a truck rolls up with an old fishing hut from samesan on the back that he bought cheap
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:00 am

geordie wrote:How far down the pipe is your water

They struck it at 49 metres and then it came up to about 2 or 3 under the surface. It's gone back down a metre or 2.
geordie wrote:He is a fair way down now to have not even hit the water table which is not a good sign but he might go another foot and bingo he has a supply

I doubt if on a rocky hill covered in (sea-)sand there is a "water table". The top of the hill behind us is I think 200 metres above sea level and he is at about 55 metres above.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:49 pm

Fred everybody has a water table its a matter of depth :mrgreen:
No wonder they are making such good progress with the digging if its sand? I had of course forgotten that from the piles you had put in
Well i wonder how far he is prepared to dig before he admits defeat it would probably pay him to tunnel across to your borehole and put a t peice in underground ?? :lol: :lol:
You could have a serious monopoly on the water supply in the area 8) I would be so tempted to supply all the properties that are proposed it starts to add up You could add it to the handymans job read all meters monthly
and collect the money
Of course Being a farrang you will find its "Thai water" you are stealing it? and will end up in jai :( :( l
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 pm

geordie wrote:I would be so tempted to supply all the properties that are proposed it starts to add up

My nephew says in no way, shape or form are we going to supply people with water, labour, money or any other form of assistance. He says that it's then the beginning of the end.
Already he is getting phone calls from his home town if I would not be interested in anymore excellent workers or if anyone else in my family might.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Strangely enough i found myself befreinded often in BKK by someone with about 5 words of english who would want to show you where you were going?
even when i knew where i was going this used to happen and its annoying as i used to feel guilty and buy him lunch or a beer or simply end up getting in a taxi back to the hotel to get rid of them
On a couple of ocassions they have actually got in the cab with me ?? from pantip plazza to the hotel we use near patpong market
Now before they start i state "mi ow kap " And if that does not get the desired response her Brother taught me a couple of more choice words
The thing is having been raised to be polite helpful and charitable where you can! what do you do when you are put in the above situation on ocasions with my mate who lives in Pattaya he has been downright rude to streetsellers and i get upset with him after all they are trying to make a living but its the other side of it that worry,s me when your new helful freind takes you down an alley to meet his freinds ?
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:03 pm

geordie wrote: having been raised to be polite helpful and charitable where you can!

Yes we Farang are generally kinder to the Thai than they are often to each other. What my nephew is seeing that because his family is 'rich', all manner of hangers-on turn up at the door. The town is rife with gossip and lies and it's painful at times for the family to deal with. So they don't want to get involved anymore than is necessary in yet more people's lives. For example I heard that someone had a loan with a family member of 10,000 Baht and it was causing problems. I offered to take over the loan interest-free, but the family told me to let them sort it out between themselves.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:50 am

no photo,s today from the spy cam :roll:
Should we start guessing at what depth they give up
The other bad news is has he worked out that he will be building a sandcastle ?
I can guarantee you this if i had ground that dry you would see a modest bungalow but a large cellar underneath for the advantage of how much cooler it would be below ground already planned it :lol: a good quality cctv camera outside linked to a projector inside so it looks like you are looking out of a window :)
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:05 am

geordie wrote:no photo,s today from the spy cam

Nobody did anything there all day yesterday. All that happened was that the owners came and had a look at their hole and then left again.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 pm

That was a security check Fred
He is obviously aware of what its like over there and was checking no one had stolen his hole :P
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Nothing happening today:
IMG_4067.JPG
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:15 pm

geordie wrote:no photo,s today from the spy cam :roll:
Should we start guessing at what depth they give up
The other bad news is has he worked out that he will be building a sandcastle ?
I can guarantee you this if i had ground that dry you would see a modest bungalow but a large cellar underneath for the advantage of how much cooler it would be below ground already planned it :lol: a good quality cctv camera outside linked to a projector inside so it looks like you are looking out of a window :)

im guessing 15 metres, you could confuse them and ask them to dig half a hole :lol: :lol: :lol:
gliffaes

Next

Return to Your Building Story