The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes True

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Budget

Postby trader » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:10 pm

nanbuilder wrote: and who I can trust in the cut throat construction world of Thai v Farang!


^^^^ you will be never in a position who u can trust :) the tide can change in a matter of hours :)

and in addition the thais are also worked over :) its just not a thai v farang scenario i can assure you :)

at approx 8000 baht a sq metre for your chalet seems at the top end but from your info and posts it sure seems very reasonable :D

some years ago payed a visit to nan :D at the time was planning to buy a orange orchid :lol: enjoyed a wonderful few days :D its so beautiful and laid back you are living in a special part of thailand if not the world

the very best for the future :D
trader
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: Budget

Postby nanbuilder » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:09 pm

trader wrote:
nanbuilder wrote: and who I can trust in the cut throat construction world of Thai v Farang!


^^^^ you will be never in a position who u can trust :) the tide can change in a matter of hours :)

and in addition the thais are also worked over :) its just not a thai v farang scenario i can assure you :)

at approx 8000 baht a sq metre for your chalet seems at the top end but from your info and posts it sure seems very reasonable :D

some years ago payed a visit to nan :D at the time was planning to buy a orange orchid :lol: enjoyed a wonderful few days :D its so beautiful and laid back you are living in a special part of thailand if not the world

the very best for the future :D


Thanks for your best wishes. Having lived and worked in 42 countries around the world I am fairly confident of who I can and cannot trust - especially as I have been in Thailand for the past 6 years. your assurances of who I can and cannot trust are perhaps somewhat misplaced...... That said welcome to the thread and we are looking forwards to your building story?
User avatar
nanbuilder
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am
Location: Nan Province

Re: Budget

Postby trader » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:24 am

nanbuilder wrote:. your assurances of who I can and cannot trust are perhaps somewhat misplaced...... That said welcome to the thread and we are looking forwards to your building story?


my appologies are extended to you :D for the remark on the trust quote



it surely was not intended as as a direct hit on your capabilities or misplaced :) merely to point out that building ethics / trustworthyness and bond between builder /subcontractors and the paying client can turn turtle without any warning in thailand :(

as for my building story have many :D all done and dusted :D

presently taking r@r :) but perhaps sometime in the future i may return :) but thats a big may :lol:
trader
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby nanbuilder » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:58 am

Quick update. Roof is now on complete with ridge and all the facia's, vents and soffits all in place - it looks really good. Shera board going up on the external walls and tiles going down in the bathroom. Electrician sub-contractor failed to turn up last two days - I reckon we can fix it ourselves if it comes down to it. However we are dangerously close to rice picking season up here in Nan - the time of year that normally ensures all tools down and whole families take to the fields. Hoping the builder stays the course and sticks to completion date of 1 Dec - considering dangling a modest bonus carrot to keep his mind focused. Yesterday Father ploughed the veggy plot ready for winter root veg and spuds. Started planning the nursery area for the seedlings and the two compost bins are filling nicely; having access to fathers piggies is certainly enriching proceeding in the compost area!

Today shopping for paint and the balcony tiles + a trip to the land office to sort out the Usefruct to give yours truly the lifetime rights to the chanot (title deed). Photo's tomorrow.
User avatar
nanbuilder
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am
Location: Nan Province

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby elgato » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:39 am

Enjoyed the latest batch of photos of your build :wink: Your costing was informative also.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
User avatar
elgato
 
Posts: 586
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:45 pm
Location: Ban Seua Dao, Kanchanaburi

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby Itchy » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:17 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this thread, so thank you for posting Nanbuilder - a great effort and a great story too.

I notice the OP has not posted since the last post of his above, is he still and active member?

Did he get his guesthouse going? Does he have a website?

I'm hooked on the story but the baits dropped off.
User avatar
Itchy
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Itchy wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this thread, so thank you for posting Nanbuilder - a great effort and a great story too.

I notice the OP has not posted since the last post of his above, is he still and active member?

Did he get his guesthouse going? Does he have a website?

I'm hooked on the story but the baits dropped off.


Last log-in was Dec 1st, 2011. :(

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby Itchy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Yes that's very strange,

his very last sentence was "Today shopping for paint and the balcony tiles + a trip to the land office to sort out the Usefruct to give yours truly the lifetime rights to the chanot (title deed). Photo's tomorrow."

I wonder if something went sour?!

Itchy
User avatar
Itchy
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby Makmak456 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:22 am

Some just quit posting, no idea why.
Mark
Makmak456
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby gliffaes » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:28 am

Makmak456 wrote:Some just quit posting, no idea why.
Mark

Can be many reasons, tired at the end of the day, constant problems etc and then dealing with all the crap that crawls out of the woodwork etc like my land issue now and useless staff.....it wears you down.
gliffaes
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:29 am

Or some people get tired of all the sniping and arm chair quarterbacking by other CTH members :(
Shastadad
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Previous

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest