The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes True

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

The Floor

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:25 am

The slabs went in without difficulty. The bathroom floor was poured separately with the plumbing inserted into the correct position. The builder wanted to just pour the bathroom floor and the break it and fix it later. I asked him to measure correctly and I had the two sinks and toilet on site so we could place them and mark the actual positions. Hope it works!
floor slabs in.JPG

DSC04828.JPG

floor pour bathroom.JPG

plumbing placed before pour.JPG

floor pour.JPG
Attachments
floor finish.JPG
nanbuilder

Plumbing

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 am

I decided to give the builder advance notice of expectations regarding a roof vent and came up with a model for him to study. He got it in the end.

vent pipe demo.JPG
Sinks will also be vented - joined above toilet pipe

I decided that all above floor plumbing should be inside the walls

plumbing in wall.JPG
plumbing in wall.JPG (141.11 KiB) Viewed 961 times
nanbuilder

The Roof

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:53 am

Steel arrived and the team set about painting all surfaces with red oxide.
roof steel.JPG

roof weld start.JPG
Start of the roof steel going up

roofers.JPG
roofers.JPG (156.17 KiB) Viewed 959 times
nanbuilder

Roof Trusses

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:58 am

They made short work of welding the steel - took just 2 days. Additionally they put a beam in especially to hang the ceiling fan from which will be at the foot of the bed.
roof steel finish.JPG

roofed finish steel.JPG
roofed finish steel.JPG (141.08 KiB) Viewed 955 times

roof weld.JPG

roof weld finished.JPG
nanbuilder

Roof Tiles

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:08 am

I decided to go with CPAC Monier Neo Class - Platinum Grey. 16 baht per tile including deliver. 900 tiles ordered; I guess 50 odd not used but these can be used for the main build. The silver foil was from GH in CM. Cost 1200 baht per 50m roll. It has a 2mm poly sandwich construction between 2 foils which made it easier to install than a thin foil membrane. Lets see how efficient it is before planning the final roof solution for the main build. Certainly the builder is ultra-impressed with the radiating properties of the NEO class tile. It has been hot in Nan this past week - inside the chalet has been super cool to say the least.
roof silver foil.JPG

roof tile.JPG

roof3.JPG

roof looking good.JPG
nanbuilder

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:21 am

As mentioned earlier - much of my time has been concentrated on organising the veggy plot. I cannot count the amount of truck loads of small sticks taken up the road to the Father in Law - very time consuming but he is very happy so worth it in the end. Practically all the Longan branches have now been distributed to either compost (in 2 stages) or sticks for BBQ cooking. Wish the budget could have stretched to a mulcher - alas!

BEFORE
The attachment leaves.jpg is no longer available

NOW
leaves.jpg

A close up of the almost peat like broken down leaves and twigs - nothing added - in just 3 months.
leaf.jpg

And a warning that if you forget you are in jungle territory you could get hurt by the wildlife.

Black Gold.jpg
Black Gold.jpg (163.57 KiB) Viewed 948 times

snake.jpg
snake.jpg (172.37 KiB) Viewed 948 times

Both of these were living under the branches shown above. I was lucky twice; firstly the really good leather boots I have saved me from the scorpion sting (which I then picked up with a stick and rested it on this concrete ring in case the builder wanted it for the BBQ - this scorpion was the size of my wifes hand - but evidently their sting is not lethal - just very sore); secondly I luckily had a bamboo stick in hand and an instant reflex stopped an advancing snake . Locals did not want to eat the snake - they said it was a really bad one - but could not give me a name - it measured 3 feet and was mega p*&&ed off with me so I had no choice but to use the bamboo cane. Sorry to do that.

A warning to us all - Uncle was bitten by a Green Mamba (only a small one) 2 days ago - he survived - just home from hospital now. Snake had got into the house via a low hanging branch upstairs and was hiding in a sack. Uncle put his hand in the sack and - well you can imagine. Note to self. Cut back the branches away from the house.

We also have a frog snake, (red neck keelback) a daytime snake with a green head and red neck - around 2 feet long living near the builders hut - he is quite a character and stays out of harms way - so I am very happy not to kill him. Yesterday he was just a couple of meters away from me, ignoring me, just looking for his supper. A word of warning this rear fanged snake is poisonous - see below:

http://www.siam-info.de/assets/images/89.jpg

Venom of a red neck keelback snake(Rhabdophis subminiatus) is hematoxin causing severe
coagulopathy. The snake has been found in southeast Asia and generally considered non - venomous
or harmless to most people. No death has been reported in patients bitten by this snake. Currently, no
specific antivenom is available. Most of the treatments are supportive without any standard
procedures. A treatment case report of 19 years old, Thai male, bitten by a red - neck keelback snake
was presented. The patient had prolonged bleeding at the bitten site. After
receiving blood transfusion, fresh frozen plasma and green pit viper antivenom, he completely
recovered without any complication.
Attachments
scorpion.jpg
scorpion.jpg (119.1 KiB) Viewed 948 times
nanbuilder

Postby thailazer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Nan... Nice post and you are definitely making good progress and having interesting things happen to fill your life! We were just talking about keel back snakes last night over a beer and coincidental to see your mention of them here. We have only seen one very large cobra near our property. Every time I go near the cut Lomyai branches on our plot I stomp my feet and take a long look but so far no squatters! We hope to break ground next week.
thailazer

Re: Roof Tiles

Postby mrbojangles » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:48 pm

nanbuilder wrote: The silver foil was from GH in CM. Cost 1200 baht per 50m roll. It has a 2mm poly sandwich construction between 2 foils which made it

Hi nan,

Is there any chance your wife could type the name of that in Thai? I'm trying to explain it to the mrs at moment but drawing a blank !!
mrbojangles

Re: Roof Tiles

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:54 am

mrbojangles wrote:
nanbuilder wrote: The silver foil was from GH in CM. Cost 1200 baht per 50m roll. It has a 2mm poly sandwich construction between 2 foils which made it

Hi nan,

Is there any chance your wife could type the name of that in Thai? I'm trying to explain it to the mrs at moment but drawing a blank !!

I'll try to post a photo of the packaging label tomorrow night. Day off today (first in a long time for both wifey and our builder) so not going to the site until tomorrow. The CPAC website is excellent and explains the use of foil here in Thai and in Thinglish
http://www.cpacmonier.com/roofsystem-heat.asp
And you can view the tile I have used here - so far they seem super efficient even with the ridge yet to be completed!
http://www.cpacmonier.com/product-detail.asp?productid=5
Hope this helps
Last edited by nanbuilder on Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
nanbuilder

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:11 am

Sparky has finished cutting the channels for the yellow plastic pipes and metal boxes as per my plans. The photo here shows the conduit coming up through the floor balcony side and into the chalet next to the kitchenette where the consumer box will go.

electrics.JPG

This next photo shows where the PIR security light will go set up high illuminating the balcony access stairs.

electrics in the wall.JPG

Concurrent activity is the rendering inside and out and the shera board facia's on the roof

render started.JPG

rendered.JPG

render near completion.JPG
nanbuilder

Soffits

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:38 am

A friend of mine had trouble with his soffits - seems his builders had some strange ideas and cut irregular slits in boards not designed to be used as soffits - so i thought I would post these pics. To be honest I am not sure my builder is absolutely correct on his installation, but I am happy to go with the flow so to speak - any views or comments welcome. He will eventually install vents at the gable ends once the shera board is finished.

Not shown here is the steel mesh (similar to mosquito netting) which has been pinned over the top of each soffit board to keep the noisy little ruggers and othe bugs out of the roof space. Steel mesh quite expensive at 50 baht per meter but worth it me thinks.

soffit1.jpg

soffit2.jpg

soffit3.jpg

soffit4.jpg
nanbuilder

Budget

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:16 am

Well that's us up to date. Today will be spent updating the spreadsheets. I have a horrible feeling we are over budget (surprise surprise) and the consequence of that will be a downsizing of the main build me thinks. Going to the bank is simply not an option I am willing to consider. The good thing is I will be a whole lot smarter regarding ordering material next time, and, now I know the Thai process and timelines for a build I can be one step ahead of the game - and I know who is reliable and who I can trust in the cut throat construction world of Thai v Farang! Also I know exactly what I can source in Nan and what needs to come from CM. Hopefully we move into the chalet by 1 December - just 4 weeks late. I can live with that - cannot wait to become Tom and Barbara Good
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Good_Life_(1975_TV_series)
nanbuilder

Budget Update

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:35 pm

Now at last I have had a chance to poke some numbers into Excel. Not a bad result actually. It looks like the 36 sqm chalet will be around 50k baht over budget or 20% (well done Geordie!), making the total cost of just the chalet 300k. This now gives me a real base line to properly prepare a detailed budget for the main build which I need to completely finish with 1 million baht (with 200k to spare on top of that for the inevitable 20%). I will need to downsize, but not too drastically I think (I hope). Dreams of other 'homestay' chalets on the same site have been well and truly shelved - mai pen rai, or, bobbinyang as they say in Nan.

Chalet Costs

Chalet Construction
    Concrete/Cement 64853
    Roof Steel 25335
    CPAC ++ 23000
    Ceiling/soffits 19257
    Electrics 11654
    Plumbing 7157
    Bathroom 14250
    Floor tiles 4469
    Shera Plank Walls 7425
    Misc 1732
    Builder 1st stage payment 30000
    Engineer 3500
    TOTAL 212632

Yet To Pay:
    Windows 20000
    Paint 10000
    Builder final payment 40000
    Balcony 5000
    Misc 13000
    Estimated further costs 88000

Total Project Costs to date look like this:

Chalet Construction 212632
    Ground Preparation/Ponds 79355
    Transportation 25833
    Wall & Fence Perimeter 52050
    6m Builders Hut 2970
    Sliding Front Gate 9595
    Chalet Furniture & Fixtures 86914
    Whole Project costs to date 469349

If there is anything I have forgotten - now would be the good time to tell me! Please.... !
nanbuilder

Postby nanbuilder » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:38 pm

thailazer wrote:Nan... Nice post and you are definitely making good progress and having interesting things happen to fill your life! We were just talking about keel back snakes last night over a beer and coincidental to see your mention of them here. We have only seen one very large cobra near our property. Every time I go near the cut Lomyai branches on our plot I stomp my feet and take a long look but so far no squatters! We hope to break ground next week.

Looking forward to your story too TL - best of luck with the first hole. Hope to hell we don't get any Cobra's here. We are pretty much surrounded, albeit by 50m in all directions, by neighbors, so I am hoping any influx of the real big dangerous beasts will be dealt with by them...... there again..... I am the idiot with a large fish pond.......
nanbuilder

Postby otis-a » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm

some nice posts,
have u plans for car park or utility room?

i would hope mod to break off some critter stuff to new important topic. I also found a dead monster scorpion @GH.
You correctly point out the dangers of some thai critters. Will get cerious about a dog as am told most thai dogs will go after z snakes. So far have killed 2 snakes here & 3rd got way b4 i could broom it. Critter life here is important reason for pwall, but even so have found 3 here. Perhaps from tree's.
Now i know a 2nd use for inet cafe, if z business ever wynds down.
Again, Very useful posts.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story