The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes True

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

More Trees

Postby nanbuilder » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:06 pm

sweet mango.JPG
Sweet Mango - temporary site as I am not sure of location yet - have kept it in the black plastic root wrapper. Cost 80 baht.

a really big tree.JPG
Apparently a very very big tree - so likewise - this is temporary location still wrapped in black plastic - cost 50 baht.

yellow apricot sized fruit.JPG
Fruit tree - quite rare apparently. Produces much sought after small yellow fruits - this is a very strong one 6 foot tall. Cost 275 baht each.
white.JPG
Beautiful fragrant white flower - 50 baht each. Will buy more of these and train/prune into a hedge if it tolerates the conditions

Next up is the gate. They are pouring the concrete plinth later today (Tuesday) - All the steel, wheels and conwood has been purchased. Seems I will save at least 50% or more on the cost of the whole job; the local steel gate shop wanted between 15-20k! Builder coordinating the whole thing for me and his buddy will do the welding. I will be much happier once we can lock the gate at night. Full prices and pics to follow.
nanbuilder

Plumbing Advice Please

Postby nanbuilder » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:42 am

Currently in CM adding to GH profits! In the chalet I have 2 sinks, 1 shower drain and the toilet. Am I correct in saying that with just one toilet I do not need to vent up through the roof? The vent on the black water septic will suffice? To clarify the toilet will be 1.5m raised and the 4" pipe will be @5m long running down to the concrete ring 1m diameter x 3m deep septic. The black water septic will have a run-off pipe flowing into the adjacent grey water septic.

I am planning to vent the grey water pipes which will run into the second septic tank.

Thanks for any expert comment.
chalet footprint 1 Sep 11.png
nanbuilder

Re: The Good Life in Nan, My Self-Sufficiency Dream Comes Tr

Postby pattayapope » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 am

Elgato

Without a sketch it is hard to understand what your plan is but if you have several drains going into the same tank on a common line you could pull a vacuum when draining one point (sink) and it could suck at another point (floor drain in shower). I think they have special valves for this problem made from the blue PVC fittings. Some other member may be able to supply additional information on this.

Good luck with the build.
pattayapope

Postby thailazer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Nan, It sounds like you have two exit pipes, one for the toilet and one for grey water. I would suggest adding vent lines to the roof on both of those lines in your chalet. (You could tee this together before piercing the roof to only have one vent line going through the roof.) Like the pope says, without it you could suck sealing water and have smell problems. Your toilet will also flush better with a vent pipe.
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Nan.... Here is a good diagram of vent stacks that work well. You can use the same concept although there are two exit lines.

http://www.renovation-headquarters.com/bathroom-plumbing-2.htm
thailazer

Postby nanbuilder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks for all your advice on the topic of my waste! I have found in GH a 4 inch pipe with a 1 inch nipple inserted at a 45 degree angle - I will post a photo of it once I have unloaded the truck on site. So my sketch is as follows - do you think this will be OK - the floor is raised 1.5m allowing a nice drop for the solid stuff and I will use 22.5 degree bends. The grey water will be 1 inch pipes. The distance between the footings/posts is 4m with a 2m deck at the front.

I want the plan to be similar for the main build. The idea is to get the builder to understand the concept on the chalet (now) and then use the same materials and techniques on the house - the main difference being there will be 3x toilets in the main house. Thanks for any advice.

WASTE WATER PLAN.jpg
nanbuilder

Postby thailazer » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:33 am

Not a "waste" of time to think about this stuff! Quick comment: The 1 inch sounds a bit small for grey water, although I use it on our temporary laundry. I would go bigger so hair and soap doesn't become a problem.

Also.... Make sure you use a 45 degree bend 3 way where the shower water enters the vent stack. If you use a 90 degree Tee, hair and stuff might plug up the vent.
thailazer

Postby pattayapope » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Nanbuilder

About time for an update on progress, or has the weather taken its toll??
pattayapope

Postby unclezillion » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:46 pm

For your plumbing you should use 1 1/2 inch for the shower and sink; basin will take 1 inch and is standard over here. They should really drain into a 2 inch pipe but you will
get away with 1 1/2. i would also strongly advise you to use u or p traps where appropriate or you will get nasty smells!
Your vent system should never be less that 50% of the biggest pipe. assuming you will use 4 inch for the toilet your vent should be at least 2 inches.
unclezillion

Postby thailazer » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:24 am

unclezillion wrote:For your plumbing you should use 1 1/2 inch for the shower and sink; basin will take 1 inch and is standard over here. They should really drain into a 2 inch pipe but you will
get away with 1 1/2. i would also strongly advise you to use u or p traps where appropriate or you will get nasty smells!
Your vent system should never be less that 50% of the biggest pipe. assuming you will use 4 inch for the toilet your vent should be at least 2 inches.

And also try to use long bends for all 90 degree joints or two 45's. Parents house has a plugged 1.5 inch drain and a snake won't go through the sharp 90 degree bends used.

Good advice on the vent tube being large. We had a rental house where the mud dauber hornets completely sealed off a pipe about 1 1/4 or so. Toilet would bubble each time we flushed it and I knew that wasn't right. And leave the vent tube facing straight up into the weather. Thai plumbers like to put a U bend on top and that just makes it a better insect home.
thailazer

Postby james5121 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:33 am

just my opion but you need to vent the sink also or your wash basin may suck the water out of the sink.:)
james5121

Postby unclezillion » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:24 pm

what is happening with this build? \put on hold or postponed due to the floods?
unclezillion

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:39 am

Its been an age since I updated for a multitude of reasons which will bore the pants off most I am sure! Post holiday blues returning from Koh Tao started the malaise and once I got behind doing updates it seems I was always going to do it tomorrow..... + had a share of internet conectivity issues ----- arghhh.

I am pleased to report the build for the chalet is on target, and I continue to be very happy with our builder - only one subby to date has made a cock up and the builder dealt with him robustly - so all good for the future so far - all in all we are very pleased. I have been on site most days since returning from holiday keeping a keen eye on the builder whilst cracking on with the garden and organising the compost. We have been lucky since June no more flooding in Nan though we had a close call in August. It has not rained now for around 3 weeks and the river is refreshingly low and slow. Heart felt sympathy for all the poor ruggers south of here having now to cope with their flooding - I know how you feel!. Updates on the past 6 weeks to follow in bite sized bits.
nanbuilder

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:54 am

The forms came off the ground posts and all looked good. The builder also agreed to pour concrete underneath so we can hose it out easily to keep clean periodically.

post raising the structure above flood plane.JPG
Forms off the ground posts

The wall and gate are finished - this was an extra. Including the concrete plinth the labour costs came in at 3,500 baht for the gate and 12,000 baht for 36m of wall @300 per linear meter. I can post material costs on request.

wall good.JPG
Looking from the outside to the neighbour by our Bananas - NW corner of the land

gate plinth.JPG
Builder charged just 700 baht labour for this 8 sqm concrete plinth

gate and wall finished.JPG
Total wall & Gate length 40m - much of that out of view

Painting will be done later - in no hurry for that.
nanbuilder

Main Posts

Postby nanbuilder » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:05 am

Forms on and all looking straight. Once again I reiterated to the builder about air bubbles - his small team took great care and I was satisfied with the result.
forms on for main posts.JPG

forms on for posts.JPG

He kept the forms on for 14 days which I was satisfied with as this is a single floor chalet.
forms off.JPG

Floor Slabs arriving

floor slabs arive.JPG
Slabs for the floor

Slabs being placed

posts.JPG
posts.JPG (140.06 KiB) Viewed 603 times
nanbuilder

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story