Our house build in Hua Hin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our house build in Hua Hin

Postby CDNinKS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Psychic,

sorry just seen your post now as I don't come back here too often. As already mentioned, read, read and read some more and then ask questions, a lot of them. I built 2 houses in Canada and 2 here now and every one of them was different. Different problems, different solutions. One very good piece of advise I see here is to not have the same expectations as you would have at home. This is Thailand.

However, having said that, does not mean that you can not get things done the way you want, you just have to be patient. For example on my second build here, after seeing how the plumbing was done one the first house, I did all my own plumbing with proper vents, traps, septic leach pits, etc. I have zero plumbing problems, toilets flush properly, no bad smells from drains.

I'm afraid I disagree with Ians, I would not do an "all in" house build here, but then I have building experience and know what to watch for. I have a friend who contracted with "a big company out of Bangkok" and have had issue over issue with them. Yes, they signed the contract with this company, but that company simply hired local in-experienced staff for the construction.

Find a builder, ask to see houses he has built (recently) and talk to the owners. There are good, honest reliable builders here, but you really need to do your homework in finding one.

Good luck!
CDNinKS

Postby Ians » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:49 pm

CDNinKS wrote:Hi Psychic,

I'm afraid I disagree with Ians, I would not do an "all in" house build here, but then I have building experience and know what to watch for. I have a friend who contracted with "a big company out of Bangkok" and have had issue over issue with them. Yes, they signed the contract with this company, but that company simply hired local in-experienced staff for the construction.

Find a builder, ask to see houses he has built (recently) and talk to the owners. There are good, honest reliable builders here, but you really need to do your homework in finding one.

Good luck!

You might disagree with my approach but should I ever build another house in Thailand (very unlikely) I wouldn't hesitate in asking the same company back to do my building. I too have a lot of experience in building / construction / engineering and researched their work and spoke to their customers, and as I said previously, I slept easy at night not having to worry about all those issues which cause so much hassle and frustration when dealing with Thai "builders" who you might sub-contract to do your work. However, I'm in full agreement in doing your homework on any builder / supplier etc before committing yourself.
Ians

Postby schuimpge » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm

CDNinKS wrote:Everything is dependent on size of the door and size of glass you choose and whether you specify laminated or not. There are just so many variables. I have 2 different size doors, 4 of them are 2.5 meters wide by 2.2 meters tall and one is 3.5 meters wide by 2.2 tall. They are green tinted, laminated glass of 3mm (so 6mm total). I know what the total price was for all windows and doors including bug screens (which are very expensive), but I would have to try and get a breakdown of a particular door if you like. My total UPVC bill was 264,000 baht

Looks like very good deal...I asked a quote for 2 windows and 1 double sliding door, 2 quotes, 79k and 98k
What company did you use if I may ask?

Beautiful house btw...

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 pm

schulmpge,
I would try a small aluminum/glass shop. For 4 double sliding doors (1 huge one) and 20 odd windows all with fly screens I paid just 118,000 baht. White powder coated, 6 mm glass with blue tint. Green tint is cheaper.
Roger Ramjet

Postby CDNinKS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:23 pm

Looks like very good deal...I asked a quote for 2 windows and 1 double sliding door, 2 quotes, 79k and 98k
What company did you use if I may ask?

I'm not sure of the actual name of the company, but they are located on Petkasam Rd. Opposite the Somtwin school. Just south of Soi 51.

Been close to 2 years now and no problems with the windows or doors.
CDNinKS

Postby CDNinKS » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 pm

I should clarify that the builder I used was responsible for all the labour. He had his own crew for most of the construction and he sub'd out what he needed to ( electrical, roof trusses, roof tiling, ceilings, etc.) So I did not need to hunt those guys down. My wife and I only had to source and buy the materials on our own.

Ians is correct that if you hire an "all in" builder your personal work load (provided the builder is reputable) will be substantially lower. However, we saved well over 1 million baht over what a builder quoted and I used better materials all around than he was going to use. Building contractors everywhere in the world need to make a living and they charge for their services, typically 20 - 40% of the total cost in western countries.

Each to his own and if you have little experience in construction then I would recommend you get Ians to PM you his builders name.
CDNinKS

Postby Ians » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 pm

I forgot to say that our builder was more than happy for us to supply whatever we wanted to source ourselves, I also saved considerable money buying all the bathroom fittings, floor tiles, windows - doors, security screens, kitchen items sinks, oven stove etc - all the kitchen, bathroom cupboards, wardrobe, light fittings, door hardware etc. With us supplying these items, it allowed us to shop around and look for bargains - I bought many things well before they were needed when they were on special / discounted prices or something took my fancy at the time and the price looked right.
For instance, we decided on the main bathroom hand basin etc and gave the builder the detail so he could think about the necessary construction - however I visited a "new" hardware store once day - just cruising around looking for ideas etc - and there was the bathroom hand basin of my dreams - never seen in any brochure or web-site and a very good price - purchased on the spot months ahead of its requirement told the builder of the change with new dimensions - no problem.
Ians

Postby Palisurfer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Hi cdninks

New to the forum and first post here :) I am a Thai but lived in the us and now Australia :) we are looking to take the plunge and build in pranburi. Do you by chance know if your builder will build there and are you happy with the house so far?

Thanks!
Pali
Palisurfer

Postby CDNinKS » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 am

Hi Pali,
I'm afraid our builder has more work than he can handle in Hua Hin, has turned down others I have sent his way.

Yes, still happy with the house......I would change a few things if I had it to do again, but that is not the builders fault :D
CDNinKS

Postby brianks » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Ready Fence. Website has been unavailable for months now. I am very interested in using it on our new house build. Since site is unavailable do you have their phone number?
brianks

Postby Psychic » Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try to fish around for a builder and check his prior work. I will then try to acquire as much info as possible on what I want . I hope to start building in November. I have a pretty good idea what I want the final result to be. Sounds like the journey there might be an adventure if I don't stay on top of the construction.
Psychic

Previous

Return to Your Building Story