Our house build in Hua Hin

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our house build in Hua Hin

Postby Hezze » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 am

Hope you are still happy with your house.
I'm in Hua Hin now. Any chance I can get your builders contact info?

Regards, Henrik
Hezze

Postby jonburns0023 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi, I saw our house and it looks great. i am buying land near hua hin in the next couple weeks and would like to start with a small guesthouse can you send me the info on your builder i am very interested. my email is <personal info removed .. please contact via the 'Contact Us' form http://www.coolthaihouse.com/contact-page/ as PM facility is not yet available - mod> i am new to this site so i dont know how to pm you. i hope to hear from you and get your builders contact info. thanks john
jonburns0023

Postby CDNinKS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi All,

sorry I have not been back to the forum in a while as we are all done with our house. I'm still very happy with the builder I used and I will post his name and phone number here. Be advised he only speaks Thai.

His name is Khun Um and can be reached at 086 05 02 394
CDNinKS

Postby saorsa » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Love the house mate (apart from the green bedroom wall :P). I just bought a plot of land and plan on a similar concept with the U shape and pool down the middle. I had thought about a flat roof and very modern style, but now I've seen your vaulted ceilings, I changed my mind. Very nice indeed.
saorsa

Postby CDNinKS » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 pm

I don't notice the green wall anymore....I guess you can used to anything :lol:

Yes, I like the high ceilings and it makes for cooler rooms too I think. I have one flat roof in my whole property on the pool pump house and I would not do a flat roof again, or if I did I would certainly be a bit more insisting on proper slope and drainage points. Now the water all runs off the one side and flows under the door into the pump room. I have just cut a groove in to the roof now to get it to drain off to the side.
CDNinKS

Postby Psychic » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:39 am

Hi,
I'm shivering here on the great Canadian prairies and can hardly wait to move down to Cha Am. The wife and I have bought some land there already and I would like very much to build a house very similar to yours. Can you please give me some idea of the cost for the house and the pool? That price determines how many more -40 winters I have to endure. Thanks,
Chris.
Psychic

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

Psychic wrote:Hi,
I'm shivering here on the great Canadian prairies and can hardly wait to move down to Cha Am. The wife and I have bought some land there already and I would like very much to build a house very similar to yours. Can you please give me some idea of the cost for the house and the pool? That price determines how many more -40 winters I have to endure. Thanks,
Chris.

Welcome to the forum "Psychic" ... surely with a name like that you already know the answer :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Psychic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:13 am

Thank you. I sort of know the answer....as much as you want to spend :)
I am currently working to pay all my "fixed costs" in Thailand upfront since my income will then shrink drastically. I do seem to be having a hard time getting a solid type number on building costs. I have seen one quote of around 8-10000 per sq,m for a good quality (not luxury, home). As I said the ball park number decides if I have to suffer many more Canadian chilly seasons. God I hope not :)
I really need to spend more time on CTH since there seems to be a ton of information. But any "shortcuts" for information is gratefully accepted.
Psychic

Postby schuimpge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Psychic...There's a great shortcut on CTH....

It's that little white block in the right hand corner. There's some letters in it that say: SEARCH.... :lol:

But on a serious note...read as many "House Build" threads as you can.
There's no 'golden' thread that gives everything, you'll have to read a lot of them and filter out the things you are looking for by yourself.
I can testify that there's lots of entertainment in only reading them. Quite a couple of good stories about members ending up in a Psychiatric Warden or being close to that while trying to build their dream-house.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Psychic » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks Luc.
Yes I know, this is a great site. I have been skimming through it and I really need to go and grab everything that might be relevant to me. Unfortunately I might have to go take a 6 month break in Thailand to do that. I am working 70 hour weeks right now, And I think that is exactly what I'm going to do. My natural inclination is to grab as much info as I can, find an architect and builder and get it done. But I am beginning to realise the number of things that can put you in the loony bin probably requires more intense study. So I will get an internet connection, a bunch of free time a comfortable chair, a notepad and a whole bunch of Chang (hey I like it and its cheap) and start making copious notes of do's/dont's and warnings. When I'm finished I will, I hope, be able to put that list up with all the things that happened while trying to follow it long with any other hitches.
Did I say this is a great site?
Psychic

Postby schuimpge » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:24 am

Cheers to that...
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Psychic,
Psychic wrote:and start making copious notes of do's/dont's and warnings. When I'm finished I will, I hope, be able to put that list up with all the things that happened while trying to follow it long with any other hitches.

You must also vector in Murphy's Law, the Bangkok governor (small "g" for him), sluice gates in other provinces, floods and of course, massive incompetence. And that's just for Bangkok and surrounds, as you go further away from the "beating heart of Thailand" and into the sticks, so the richter scale effect applies.
It certainly is a great excuse for drinking Chang beer though, even if the notes fall by the wayside.
I think I should start drinking again.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I think I should start drinking again.

Cheers :P

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby gliffaes » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Psychic wrote:Thanks Luc.
Yes I know, this is a great site. I have been skimming through it and I really need to go and grab everything that might be relevant to me. Unfortunately I might have to go take a 6 month break in Thailand to do that. I am working 70 hour weeks right now, And I think that is exactly what I'm going to do. My natural inclination is to grab as much info as I can, find an architect and builder and get it done. But I am beginning to realise the number of things that can put you in the loony bin probably requires more intense study. So I will get an internet connection, a bunch of free time a comfortable chair, a notepad and a whole bunch of Chang (hey I like it and its cheap) and start making copious notes of do's/dont's and warnings. When I'm finished I will, I hope, be able to put that list up with all the things that happened while trying to follow it long with any other hitches.
Did I say this is a great site?

Just be onsite all day everyday and NEVER pay em more than you owe them.
Expect to get through several sets of workers, buy your own materials or they will cut every corner going and then some.
gliffaes

Postby Ians » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 pm

Or else employ a professional building company on a negotiated fixed price and supervise every day what is going on / happening to your satisfaction. This is what I did, it probably cost a bit more (I know it did) but I slept at night not having to worry about organising supply of materials on time etc, looking for labour and supervising site staff every 5 minutes, if materials went missing from site, not my problem. There was never any argument about construction, if I didn't like what was being done / happening it was resolved by discussion and mutual agreement. Now that the house is finished (nearly 12 months), the builder has now been back on a number of occassions to sort a few problems - never any argument as to why / it wasn't my fault / your problem etc. and he has said more than once, " I built it, I'll fix it - doesn't matter how many times I have to come back, it has to be to your satisfaction".
Of course you must be reasonable in your demands, this is Thailand and not your home country so you need to compromise a little on some points. Overall I am more than happy with the end result and consider that I have a well built, well finished livable home which will be trouble free for years to come.

Edited to add: Payments were made against inspected and finished work, or when a major cost was incurred, ie. - piles delivered to site and pile driving commenced or major concrete pour etc. most of these were a milestone / payment in the contract anyway.
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story