Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 pm

They are getting a little better, but it's still the welding that lets them down, being made of all thin pipe where you have to weld bits of Reo along side with-in a week or two of use. All bolts are much better but obviously cost more.
Mike Judd
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am
Location: Church Point Sydney N.S.W. Australia. Khon Kaen

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:59 pm

Mike Judd wrote:They are getting a little better, but it's still the welding that lets them down, being made of all thin pipe where you have to weld bits of Reo along side with-in a week or two of use. All bolts are much better but obviously cost more.

If you are talking about my wheel barrow. It's coming up to 2 years use or about a total of 6 months (only used in the holidays) so it's reasonable for ฿3,200

The pipe is only round the top the rest is angle iron or rebar
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby Mike Judd » Tue May 01, 2012 4:28 pm

As I said, they are getting a little better, with everything being made in China now that we buy in Oz, I could buy that barrow you have for the same price, and a proper functional barrow like in my picture is well balanced, that will carry as big a load as you wish anywhere over rough ground /up planks through doorways, and never break down for B5,000 , and when you consider that the average worker in Oz could get in one hour what a Thai gets in a week, you have to ask, "There is something wrong here". ! It doesn't matter to us Farang's , but as I mentioned in another post, the ratio in Western countries is usually Materials 40% against Labour 60% where as in my experience so far on my build, it's been 90% materials 10% labour, and I am paying B400 per day. Sorry to get off present subject (Barrows) but the anomalies in labour costs with what materials cost is way out of whack.!
Siam Cement for one must be the biggest Rip off merchants in Asia.
Mike Judd
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am
Location: Church Point Sydney N.S.W. Australia. Khon Kaen

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:56 pm



Well it was the first big rain storm in the new house and we started to flood. Then the house got hit by lightening (That's a different video, Stay tuned).....Fun in the new house. lol
And to think I was worried about the roof.


I still have no idea how the water was getting in, Everything looks good on the outside.
codfish
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:31 pm

codfish,
I think you'll find it was either sealed incorrectly with silicon or the windows were not seated flush to the wall.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5252
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby sirineou » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:54 pm

codfish wrote:
I still have no idea how the water was getting in, Everything looks good on the outside.


It is possible that the water is not coming in from the windows, but ,if you have a double wall construction, that the water is entering the wall cavity and pooling on the top Chanel of the window.
But since you said that all the windows are leaking, I cant believe that all you walls are leaking also. So it must be the windows.
cover one window with plastic, by taping the plastic with duct tape on the wall, if that window does not leak next time it rains, then it is definitely the window, and needs to be sealed better.
From the video it looks like the windows are bronze colored aluminum. It would be easy to find the same color caulking, if not, call the window people, they really should be liable, and willing to seal the windows them selves, but if they don't, at least they could give you some of the same calking they use, or should had used.
Any way, good luck
Look forward to hearing how you resolved your problem.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:08 pm

^ I know it is not a problem with the cavity wall because I don't have cavity walls...lol I still don't know where the water got in, There are no holes in the silicone or anywhere else for that matter.
codfish
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Two things I could imagine:
1) If the main frame of the window is flush mounted with wall outside but not properly sealed water could run in between and so on...
2) The windows are not complete air tight and with such amount of water and wind it just pushes it in through every small gap there might be.

Interested to hear what happened with the lightening stroke in the house....a topic what I'm also still thinking about.
Whether to install lightening protection or not.... :?:
Maseratimartin
 
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:26 am
Location: Sakeaw and Hong kong

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby sirineou » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:32 pm

codfish wrote:^ I know it is not a problem with the cavity wall because I don't have cavity walls...lol I still don't know where the water got in, There are no holes in the silicone or anywhere else for that matter.

Yes I realized that there was no cavity on your wall when I went back on your tread and watched some of your videos,
unfortunately for as , since we dont have a picture of the window, (difficult to see in the video) we can only speculate.
Posting a close up picture of the window, will help eliminate some of the speculation
Obviously there must be an opening some where or the water would not be coming in, you just cant see it.
from the video it look like the water is dripping from up high
If your windows are installed flush with the outside wall, I would recommend that you take a putty knife, or similar tool, and scrape open the space between the frame of the window and the surface of the wall about 1/8 of an inch and fill that space with silliconized paintable caulking.
Also a "J" Chanel, installed in the top of the window, on the wall, will help with directing the water that runs down the wall, around the window.
One way to determine if water is coming from where the windows meet the wall, is to spray water with a hose , on the wall above the window, and let it run down the wall, and see if any of it enters the window .
If the water is not coming from the wall, window boarder,
then it is coming from the window it's self, at which point you only have three opptions in my opinion.
a) caulk the hell out of all the joints in the affected windows ( would be my first choice)
b) install some short of overhung over the windows to keep the rain from affecting them as much
c) repair or replace the windows.
d) get a bathing suit :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
User avatar
sirineou
 
Posts: 1133
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:30 am
Location: USA/Thailand, khon Kaen

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Yes I had a bit of a think when I saw how all the windows were installed over here. Most western windows have a built in weather fin all around the outdside, plus a flashing along the top, and one under the sill.Here you need to rely on good cauking to stop the weather. I have gone for a 1mt overhang on the roof to keep most of the rain off, but you still need a good seal to make sure.
Mike Judd
 
Posts: 1403
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 am
Location: Church Point Sydney N.S.W. Australia. Khon Kaen

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58 pm

sirineou wrote:
codfish wrote:^ I know it is not a problem with the cavity wall because I don't have cavity walls...lol I still don't know where the water got in, There are no holes in the silicone or anywhere else for that matter.

Yes I realized that there was no cavity on your wall when I went back on your tread and watched some of your videos,
unfortunately for as , since we dont have a picture of the window, (difficult to see in the video) we can only speculate.
Posting a close up picture of the window, will help eliminate some of the speculation
Obviously there must be an opening some where or the water would not be coming in, you just cant see it.
from the video it look like the water is dripping from up high
If your windows are installed flush with the outside wall, I would recommend that you take a putty knife, or similar tool, and scrape open the space between the frame of the window and the surface of the wall about 1/8 of an inch and fill that space with silliconized paintable caulking.
Also a "J" Chanel, installed in the top of the window, on the wall, will help with directing the water that runs down the wall, around the window.
One way to determine if water is coming from where the windows meet the wall, is to spray water with a hose , on the wall above the window, and let it run down the wall, and see if any of it enters the window .
If the water is not coming from the wall, window boarder,
then it is coming from the window it's self, at which point you only have three opptions in my opinion.
a) caulk the hell out of all the joints in the affected windows ( would be my first choice)
b) install some short of overhung over the windows to keep the rain from affecting them as much
c) repair or replace the windows.
d) get a bathing suit :lol:

All good points, I well be trying the hose first to try and find the hole that has to be there somewhere, And go from there. If nothing works I well get the boat I always wanted and keep it in the living room.
codfish
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Yes I had a bit of a think when I saw how all the windows were installed over here. Most western windows have a built in weather fin all around the outdside, plus a flashing along the top, and one under the sill.Here you need to rely on good cauking to stop the weather. I have gone for a 1mt overhang on the roof to keep most of the rain off, but you still need a good seal to make sure.

I have a meter over hang but I have a 2 story house so it don't help on this window, I am sure I well get it sorted but well take a little head scratching, Things are always easier when you can see the problem.
codfish
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:02 pm



So we were hit by lightening during the first big storm of the year, We also had water come in around a window and our newly poured concrete washed away
codfish
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:02 pm

Everything was going good, My 1 man concrete crew was finishing up around 5 pm and then it started, Rain, Just a little at first, And then it came down in buckets, Big buckets, Then the wind started and we where in the middle of the storm of the year..... Mother nature wins again.lol

codfish
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:48 pm

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 pm

codfish wrote:^ I know it is not a problem with the cavity wall because I don't have cavity walls...lol I still don't know where the water got in, There are no holes in the silicone or anywhere else for that matter.

To be honest I find the aluminium windows here absolutely rubbish, the design is awful they rely on sealant all round which eventually opens up somewhere, I have the same in some of my condos and every 3 years or so they leak.
In my maids house I got some UPVC which is fine with the hose running on them and can be a good price if you buy and build the house round them in fact i recently asked for a price on a 1.4m by 38cm aluminium window for the bathroom and it was the same as the UPVC from Global House and only 1mm thick as mai me 1.5mm ( white)
Also having windows flush with the wall I dont like, they are better inset which is great on double block walls and with a drip lip above them same as we do in the UK with rendered walls, and also a sloping cill at the bottom not level, which I got my builders to do.
gliffaes
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:45 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest