Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby MGV12 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:29 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Very innovative the Thais some times, but they have a lot to learn about good concrete practises still. Like no expansion joints in slabs (6mts max between) and the normal excess water

Local guy and his wife were helping me to lay a shed base by mixing the concrete. I left them mixing it in the tub ... having insisted "Not too much water".

I returned to find grey soup ... "Too much water, no good" says I ... he replied smiling "Right amount ... less water harder to mix!"

Says it all ....... :(

They had a lesson on how to do it properly ... I was then the only one smiling.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jazzman » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

...and a waste of several bags of good Portland cement at ฿ 125 a bag, not to mention the sand and aggregate. In this country, cememnt/concrete is almost always mixed with too much water - especially when done by a non-branded ready-mix 'company'. Always cement a reputable firm such as CPAC or Insee, and be prepared to accept the small extra cost of ready-mix for large jobs such as footings, ground beams, upper-storey beams, and floor slabs. Large jobs (and small) must always be laid in one contiguous cast. if the workers don't understand, show the the slump test.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:07 pm

It is hard to get through to them, but understandable when you tell them " no more water" but want them to water the concrete after to cure it. (Stupid Farange) My two guys know I will go bananas if they use too much water in any concrete or cement mix, so they don't now. I did mix up two small buckets of concrete once, one with loads of water Thai style, and the other with just the right amount to be-able to mix it, a couple of weeks later I got them to break them up with a lump hammer and they saw how much stronger the right one was compared to the soup like one . The other thing I did was cut holes in one of their mixing hoes, what we call a " Larry" in Oz, it makes mixing easier if mixing in a barrow or tub, especially mortar for laying blocks. I ended up taking a proper" Larry" over from Oz on one of my trips. The next thing I must take over is a proper Wheel barrow.(As mentioned in one of my other Posts) All the ones available in Thailand are a joke.
Mike Judd

Postby codfish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Mike Judd wrote:" but want them to water the concrete after to cure it. (Stupid Farange)
The next thing I must take over is a proper Wheel barrow.(As mentioned in one of my other Posts) All the ones available in Thailand are a joke.

Everyone thought I was crazy when I watered the concrete the next morning. lol And I would love a wheel barrow that would actually stand up to a little abuse.
The contractor had 2 at the start of the build of my house and both were destroyed in less than a week.
codfish

Postby codfish » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 pm

A little slide show I put together of my house from the start to the finish.
codfish

Postby geordie » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:20 pm

Just the garden now then :roll: nice house looks like you gor reasonable quality too :shock: well done
in spite of the usual hickups you got there
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:36 am

IMG_0311.JPG
B5,500 barrow top of the line.
IMG_0311.JPG
B5,500 barrow top of the line.
Here is a photo of a wheel barrow, it's the dearest one in Oz (Made in China like everything now) $178 ( B5,500) H/D builders with wide wheel and Poly tray. They go down to B2,800 narrow wheel for the cheapest one that is still 10 times better than the Thai ones.
Mike Judd

Postby codfish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:49 pm

geordie wrote:Just the garden now then :roll: nice house looks like you gor reasonable quality too :shock: well done
in spite of the usual hickups you got there

Its been a long bumpy road, Glad it almost over.
codfish

Postby codfish » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Mike Judd wrote:
IMG_0311.JPG
IMG_0311.JPG
Here is a photo of a wheel barrow, it's the dearest one in Oz (Made in China like everything now) $178 ( B5,500) H/D builders with wide wheel and Poly tray. They go down to B2,800 narrow wheel for the cheapest one that is still 10 times better than the Thai ones.

I would buy one if I could, Would come in very handy around the garden.
codfish

Postby pattayapope » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:08 pm

codfish wrote:I would buy one if I could, Would come in very handy around the garden.

I have seen the same wheel barrow in True Value a couple of weeks ago I think it was around the same price (5,500 baht). If I get chance I will check this weekend and confirm.

PS Codfish sorry to mention this off topic post on your building story
pattayapope

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:06 am

That is interesting if Pattayopop has seen those wheel barrows in Thailand , I would get one for sure to save the hassle of having to bring one over from Oz on my next visit in May. Are there any other True Value stores around Bangkok, it's all Global House /Home Pro/Home Mart around Khon Kaen where I get most of my materials from. I often wonder why most of the stuff coming out of China that we get in Oz now is not made in Thailand. The Labour cost are still much lower there than China. The best thing about those particular barrows is there are no welds ,all bolted together.
P.S. My apologies also for using this Post but it has produced a good result.
Mike Judd

Postby codfish » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:01 pm

pattayapope wrote:
codfish wrote:I would buy one if I could, Would come in very handy around the garden.

I have seen the same wheel barrow in True Value a couple of weeks ago I think it was around the same price (5,500 baht). If I get chance I will check this weekend and confirm.

Thanks for that. I haven't been to True Value in a few years, The price on everything in there was way over the top IMO. I think it is time to go take another look.
codfish

Postby otis-a » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:59 pm

nice utub sum'ry vido
with foile under roof, how exits z hot airs?
Did u leave or make access hatches in case inside roof repairs needed?
Cement stairs with storage was nice.
Will u put ac's?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby codfish » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:46 pm

otis-a wrote:nice utub sum'ry vido
with foile under roof, how exits z hot airs?
Did u leave or make access hatches in case inside roof repairs needed?
Cement stairs with storage was nice.
Will u put ac's?

There is still air movement from side to side, But good point, Not something I thought about. I was thinking more about keeping the hot air out.
Yes there is a access hatch in the bathroom to get into the attic.
Not much storage in this house, I know it well become a problem, Lucky I have a lot of bedrooms I don't need.
I put AC in the master bedroom only.
codfish

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm

codfish wrote:
Mike Judd wrote:
The attachment IMG_0311.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0311.JPG is no longer available

I would buy one if I could, Would come in very handy around the garden.

Why not get one like this?

It has motorcycle tyres and a rebar axle to me it looks as if it will last the coures

I got it in ToolPro in Udon Thani
P4063101.jpg
Good wheel barrow

P4063104.jpg
Good wheel barrow 2
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story