Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby gliffaes » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 pm

codfish wrote:
So we were hit by lightening during the first big storm of the year, We also had water come in around a window and our newly poured concrete washed away

nah you werent hit by lightning, if lightning had hit the house half the roof would be gone more than likely.
It may have been close but it didnt hit you.
I have had telephones and tvs blow up due to lightning close by and the house shook but it was not a direct hit.
This is what it would look like if it hit you........this form the UK
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... _lightning
gliffaes

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I 'am just in the process of having my alloy windows and sliding doors installed near Khon Kaen. I checked out a few of the big new Estates going up around the city and got a price from one guy who seemed to be doing most of them. He makes them in what ever size or material you want. I chose the heavier section and couldn't be happier with the result. They are White powdered coated and designed to shed the water O.K. in themselves, but still depend on good caulking around the edges if any rain reaches them with my house being a single storey with 1 mt overhangs. Even in OZ I have seen plenty of water problems around windows leaking. All cavity brick walls let in water at the joints through the outside course, that's why the wall ties are normerly sloping to the out-side and you have a damp proof membrane at the bottom one or two bricks higher on the inside with weep holes in the outer course. Then there's a flashing ontop of the windows and doors bridging the cavity also. But if there is any mortar bridging around the window with-out proper flashing down the sides, water will get in. Then you are back to relying on good caulking and hoping.
Mike Judd

Postby codfish » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I 'am just in the process of having my alloy windows and sliding doors installed near Khon Kaen. I checked out a few of the big new Estates going up around the city and got a price from one guy who seemed to be doing most of them. He makes them in what ever size or material you want. I chose the heavier section and couldn't be happier with the result. They are White powdered coated and designed to shed the water O.K. in themselves, but still depend on good caulking around the edges if any rain reaches them with my house being a single storey with 1 mt overhangs. Even in OZ I have seen plenty of water problems around windows leaking. All cavity brick walls let in water at the joints through the outside course, that's why the wall ties are normerly sloping to the out-side and you have a damp proof membrane at the bottom one or two bricks higher on the inside with weep holes in the outer course. Then there's a flashing ontop of the windows and doors bridging the cavity also. But if there is any mortar bridging around the window with-out proper flashing down the sides, water will get in. Then you are back to relying on good caulking and hoping.

Good luck with your build, I hope it goes better than mine, I have had enough problems for both of us. I have these same windows in my old house and in over 7 years I have had it I have never had water in the house..knock on wood...
codfish

Postby codfish » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Well this actually happened the day before the window flood but I did not look for the problem until the day after. (I needed to go buy a ladder first)
When you build a new house you are going to have a leak or two in the plumbing, It might be on a inlet line, A facet, or drain line. For us it was everywhere, Anywhere there was a threaded pipe we had a leak, They did not use enough Teflon tape an any of the connections, I used 30 meters of Teflon tape the first day I connected the pump.
This leak in the bathroom took about 36 hours to work its way through the wall, And from that exposed the leak in the drain line which caused the flood.

codfish

Previous

Return to Your Building Story