Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 pm

We are building a house in a very small village in Maha Sarakham, Contract was signed on May 30 and Worked started (Sort of) on June 1st. Here is a short video of the first day.

[youtube]TUpKdb8yOPg[/youtube]

Land size - 239 TW
House size - 180sqm
codfish

Re: Building a house in Maha Sarakham

Postby codfish » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:04 pm

Well no video, What happened there??
codfish

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:38 pm

welcome to cth codfish the video faliure i cannot help with it took me nearly two years to learn how to make the picture smaller so i could post ?? what you could try is keep the reply to forum screen open then open the u tube site right click the address and left click copy minimize the utube page so the forum is visible and click the box with url in it that should put the url on the reply page [URL} {URL} same as this but you the right click with the cursor between the two url,s and left click paste that how i copy information for other websites to post
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby codfish » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 am

geordie wrote:welcome to cth codfish the video faliure i cannot help with it took me nearly two years to learn how to make the picture smaller so i could post ?? what you could try is keep the reply to forum screen open then open the u tube site right click the address and left click copy minimize the utube page so the forum is visible and click the box with url in it that should put the url on the reply page [URL} {URL} same as this but you the right click with the cursor between the two url,s and left click paste that how i copy information for other websites to post

Thanks for that, It looks like there are some new bugs with youtube, So with any luck they well get there end sorted soon and I can add the videos.
codfish

Postby geordie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:04 pm

well it seems still no luck with the video so how about some details on you self/family how big the house your budget you hope to acheive time scale single or two story we are all wa iting with bated breath personally i prefer photographs for more detail but it tok me a mere two years to learn how to do them as you have to reduce the size but now i have my own around the houses idiot proof method of doing them
geordie

Postby codfish » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:26 pm

Mods please delete this thread, I well start a new one, Thanks.
codfish

Postby fredlk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:33 pm

codfish wrote:Mods please delete this thread, I well start a new one, Thanks.

I see no reason for you to start a new topic on the same subject. Just continue on this one.
fredlk

Postby Mishark » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:42 pm

This should be the link you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUpKdb8yOPg
Mishark

Postby geordie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 pm

codfish not a lot to see on the video but excelant quality great to see village life for real again dogs and all (no buffalo) hopefully you have progressed a bit now so an update where you are at would be nice please don,t worry about the false start its taken me two years to do pictures where do you hail from
geordie

Postby otis-a » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:55 pm

hi codfish
managed to get over to u channel plinkin with opera mobile 11 in offline mode. Made subscribe to u channel then jumped over to utube app n watched a vid
so why u house have 19 columns? Seems an odd number
an yes columns usually set @ 1.5m deep (as u mention was u spec) & so what was outcome of u discussion w/ u builder on gettin columns set to depth spec rather than the <1m as u noted?
If care to:
like pm on details of posting to utube.
seems like bit of effort to edit the mp4 files but nice job!

Lots folk here not have connection suitable for utube.
U may find larger local audience were u to post some screenshots from u vids on your cth site.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby codfish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:36 pm

OK looks like I got it figured out.

This is a video of the first day of our new house build in Maha Sarakham Thailand, Stay tuned for updates as things progress.

The 1st column erecting ceremony is for good luck. The ceremony is performed on the 1st column (And in this case is located near the center of the house) and has to be completed before the rest of the house build can continue. There are only a certain number of dates that the ceremony can be performed and the dates for each house are chosen by the Monk based on the owners birth dates.

Just a little update on day 4 of the build, minutes before we packed up to drive back to Pattaya. Not much actual building has taken place yet but enough of the supplies are on site to get started.

Well were a month into the build and so far things are not going to good. My contractor, sub contracted a crew from Buri Ram and they have been nothing but problems, More interested in drinking and causing problems then working. So the contractor finally grew some balls and fired everyone (I think the foreman is still there) and a new crew well be on site Monday or Tuesday. But it has been a continues line of lies from everyone over the last 2 weeks and to say I am a little pissed would be an understatement. Things have to get better.
codfish

Postby codfish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:38 pm

Mishark wrote:This should be the link you want:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUpKdb8yOPg

Yes that works but I wanted to embed the video, I finally figured it out.
codfish

Postby codfish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 pm

otis-a wrote:hi codfish
managed to get over to u channel plinkin with opera mobile 11 in offline mode. Made subscribe to u channel then jumped over to utube app n watched a vid
so why u house have 19 columns? Seems an odd number
an yes columns usually set @ 1.5m deep (as u mention was u spec) & so what was outcome of u discussion w/ u builder on gettin columns set to depth spec rather than the <1m as u noted?
If care to:
like pm on details of posting to utube.
seems like bit of effort to edit the mp4 files but nice job!

Lots folk here not have connection suitable for utube.
U may find larger local audience were u to post some screenshots from u vids on your cth site.

Thanks for the info, I understand not everyone can or wants to watch videos but I am making them anyway and thought I would share them here if anyone wanted to watch my nightmare unfold.
Its 19 footings, Not columns and as for the depth, Some are 1m and some are 1.5m, depending on how hard the ground and if they hit rock. The engineer was happy with everything so I went with that. I am going for a surprise visit on Monday for update in about a week.
codfish

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:02 pm

codfish,
You wanted to know what he is doing pouring the cement water mixture over the rebar. There are two things that can happen, the first is the rebar will rust, the second is it will all stick together and be a devil of a job to try and use it. You need to be there. Things appear to have not started well. If your builder is sub contracting then you have paid him too much. Make sure he is on site all day everyday and if he takes two weeks to sack his own crew, he needs to be sacked.
Good luck, you'll need it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:59 pm

The joys of building in thailand :lol: akin to a horror movie at times admittedley its not started well but they can soon pick up the pace have words with the builder and explain the reality if he lies he,s out you are more likely to be understanding of a problem than you are of a lie He may then be more honest ( a big maybe) heres hoping the new crew do better and explain to the builder your contract is with him not subcontractors if they screw up its his fault he should report daily to site and see whats going on at the very least
geordie

Next

Return to Your Building Story