Ranch style house in Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Ranch style house in Kanchanaburi

Postby geordie » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:19 am

I always prefer an outside wall for a kitchen area easier to ventilate
The roof is going to be huge and i hope you don,t mind me saying a bit boring it will totally dwarf the house take a look at robert k,s roof mae on country build its not just apearance it also ventilate,s it
the huge roof has a bonus in if you catch the water off it you will have a good stock but you will need one hell of a tank
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby runker » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:12 am

My wife and I love a wrap around porch. It looks a little like the design I found online http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.h ... 6&sid=chp1

What I like about the Cracker is the cupola and with vaulted ceilings the heat will go up and out if you have the windows open in the cupola. I don't need 4 bed rooms so having 2 and a spare is fine for just the two of us. I would want electronically operated windows with a manual backup for the cupola. Also if you install transom windows above the bedroom doors the heat from those rooms also flow up and out the cupola.
runker

Postby rigpig on juice » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:48 am

geordie wrote:I always prefer an outside wall for a kitchen area easier to ventilate
The roof is going to be huge and i hope you don,t mind me saying a bit boring it will totally dwarf the house take a look at robert k,s roof mae on country build its not just apearance it also ventilate,s it
the huge roof has a bonus in if you catch the water off it you will have a good stock but you will need one hell of a tank

I agree with the roof dwarfing the house. I asked the architect to change up the roof. Here is what he come up with. I am liking the gable roof with the hip ends.

rigpig on juice

Postby rigpig on juice » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:56 am

runker wrote:My wife and I love a wrap around porch. It looks a little like the design I found online http://www.coolhouseplans.com/details.h ... 6&sid=chp1

What I like about the Cracker is the cupola and with vaulted ceilings the heat will go up and out if you have the windows open in the cupola. I don't need 4 bed rooms so having 2 and a spare is fine for just the two of us. I would want electronically operated windows with a manual backup for the cupola. Also if you install transom windows above the bedroom doors the heat from those rooms also flow up and out the cupola.

I was thinking about a faulted ceiling at first, but we decided to keep it simple. We are planning to have a ceiling height of 3.4m and hopefully that will be a good compromise.

Cheers,
rigpig
rigpig on juice

Postby kknaj » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 am

I like your tile choice for the roof. However I have to say the gable style looks very dated. I'm sure there is something better can be done that is still simple. The vault style shouldn't be any more expensive than the gable design. I'll see if I can find some ideas. I just think its a shame to have such a large house with obviously expensive details such as wrap around raised porch yet a barnyard roof. In fact the first design looks better than the more recent images but something similar to a vaulted design would be even better. Just my 2 cents.
kknaj

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:17 am

nice one rigpig the high ceiling height means a high wall height so its acting to balance out the roof a bit the gable end usually over there ends up with a roof tacked on it to continue cover for the wraparound but the gable should allow for plenty of ventilation have a look at the room sizes again the high ceiling may end up making some of the rooms appear smaller the render looks great just a case of working things in to balance nice bit of land too looking forward to seeing it progress
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:58 am

Awesome rendered images, I wish I can draw like that! To add my 2cents to the discussion, I like high ceilings and walls also, however I think that unless you make the windows taller, it seems that the windows look "squashed" or "squeezed down" - I would prefer them taller and more centered from top to bottom when looking from the outside.

Also from the inside, if you have 1 - 1.5 metres above the top of the window to the ceiling, and you dont have drapes/blinds covering that space, it may look a little odd also with that huge space at the top. Once again taller windows that start perhaps 50cm below the ceiling line, with a curtain stick up there will look better.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby runker » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:34 am

I agree with Max the windows seem to be out of scale to the rest of the house and you may end up with a dark interior.
runker

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 am

And one more who agree with Max!

I had a similar idea to go for 3,5m and then when doing some drawings saw that it just looks wrong...-> changed to 3,00m and windows/doors will be approx. 2.25m.
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:23 am

yup, window re-sizing would go a long way for both inside and outside.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I also vote for resize
Roger Ramjet

Postby robertkc » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Love the wraparound porch & agree that windows are out of scale. Runkers cupola idea would look good on your roof.
Curious how you are uploading such nice fat photos; aren`t they way over the site limit that knocks mine back when I try?
robertkc

Postby otis-a » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:36 pm

conwood
thought about using more of it here, i.e. for a p. wall construct. As is, just used at cover between eve and roof forkeeping out bugs. Consideration for p. wall was it would go up fast. Saw one wall/fence done with it & looked ok. Wifes father said stuff just does not weather well. About 1 day later saw another wall in chaing rai where there were definate weather failure issues. Maybe a bad batch? Dont kno, but was enuf to get me back to the basic block pwall. Was other thing about 1 cth member (Nawty) mentioning fallin thru con-wood: his motto con-wood is not real wood. That threesome nailed my decision against conwood in direct sunlight.

Eves
smart indeed. Just wonder if there would be advantage to having the outermost 4 corners (which currently show as open on render) as structural elements for additional roof support, a sorta flying butress, if u will. The flying butress is used to more evenly distribute loads, this would bring the total corner columns to 8, with 4 inside and 4 lower at outside. The porch will have floor support columns already, it would just be a matter of extending the 4 outer corner columns and tie roof support beams across the outer columns.

Just my 2 pence worth.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby pattayapope » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:29 pm

Rigpig

You have some nice land there and the soil looks very good, we have 4 1/2 rai about 10 Km outside of Kanchanaburi just behind the army base on the way to Sisawat, the soil is not as good as yours and has quite a lot of rocks in it and they mainly grow tapioca around this area. We were up there this weekend and stayed at the Mida golf resort for a bit of mountain bikeing. When and if we build it will only be a small two story weekend home, we need the second story to get a vew of the mountains and half of it will be covered patio. I have quite a few friends with land up and around Sisawat area on the lake. Looking at your land I guess it is on the way to Saiyok there are some really nice places around there wish I had some pictures to post. I will probably be looking for some gravel later to put a bit of a road into the place, if you don't mind me asking what is the going rate for a truck, in Pattaya we pay 3500 baht for a 10 wheeler.

P6251928 (2).jpg
View from back of land

P6251930 (2).jpg
Another view from back of land
pattayapope

Postby rigpig on juice » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:45 am

robertkc wrote:Love the wraparound porch & agree that windows are out of scale. Runkers cupola idea would look good on your roof.
Curious how you are uploading such nice fat photos; aren`t they way over the site limit that knocks mine back when I try?

Thanks. As for the pictures, I upload them to photobucket and then copy the link and paste it in the message.
rigpig on juice

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story