Ranch style house in Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Ranch style house in Kanchanaburi

Postby rigpig on juice » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:42 am

Hi All,

I thought I would start a thread about our house build. We are still making changes to the plan with the architect, but hope to start building in 2-3 months. We are building on 18 rai, so space should not be a problem.

I rented a D6D dozer for a week and started to prep the land - build a driveway, clean up the property line and dig a pond. We hauled in 30 loads of gravel for the driveway, with more to come. Also we planted trees alone the drive way and front property line, but still have much more to do.

Here are a few pictures of what we have done so far.

This will be the view from the front deck.

Starting on the cat work.

My wife checking out the big hole I dug.

This is looking up to where the house will be.

Drainage ditch to the pond along the front of the property line.

Gravel trucks coming in.

I bought a 30 horsepower Kubota to play with.

The driveway is just roughed in for now. We will finish it once the building is complete.

Me again playing on the tractor.
rigpig on juice

Re: Ranch style house in Kanchanaburi

Postby otis-a » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:00 am

some cerious dozr wrk
looks like u off to good start but with about 5Acre sure is plently left to do. Lookin forward to the build story as it progresses & good luck !
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 am

Rigpig,
I love the toys, you'll become a serious farmer after this I take it? When I looked at the soil, all I could think of was potatoes and red grapes. Willows would look nice along the driveway and hold the soil together. Looking forward to the plans for the house.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:46 am

Hi and welcome...

And here my first questions:
What you paid for the KUBOTA tractor?
Does it fulfill your expectations?

I'm also thinking of buying one for our farm land where we gonna plant trees before the next rain season.
Still not sure if Lamjai...or Oil palms....or Mango...
Maseratimartin

Postby Sunpax » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 am

Welcome...nice toys you get there ! and such a big land ! plenty to play with for sure...
Sunpax

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:56 pm

Yes indeed welcome. That is an outstanding view and since the deck will be higher it only gets better. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby rigpig on juice » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:19 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Hi and welcome...

And here my first questions:
What you paid for the KUBOTA tractor?
Does it fulfill your expectations?

I paid 505,000 for the tractor, front blade, rotary tiller and a deck mower. I only have 9 hours on the tractor, but so far I like it. I just wanted a small acreage tractor and I won't be doing any serious farming with it.
rigpig on juice

Postby rigpig on juice » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:22 am

^^^ Thanks guys! I am glad I found this forum. I have spent many hours reading and appreciate the knowledge shared by all.

Cheers,
rigpig
rigpig on juice

Postby rigpig on juice » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:11 am

Here are the first draft of the plans.

The house is 17 m x 17 m and has a 3 m wrap around deck. I plan on making the front gable extension bigger and adding windows above the front doors.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Floor plan and roof.

Front elevation.

Rear elevation. I plan on changing the stairs and the doorway. It looks funny the way the architect has it drawn.

rigpig on juice

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:31 am

Rigpig,
That's a large roof area to support, I hope you have read about Max's problems, but it should be okay with all the columns, or are you going to use Colorbond?
Just a word of warning about changing the plans yourself... it changes all the specs, which can be very confusing for the engineer and builder. Each change on mine I had the architect redo the changes and the specs (the computer automatically recalculates) and I still ended up with a bad design flaw that nobody saw.
Good luck, the house reminds me of outback Australia.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:44 am

I like the design, reminds me of my one. Square is nice and simple to build, good layout inside. I like the roof also, big cavity inside, what angle will you have it at, 25 or 30 degrees? Your plans for the roof should be fully trussed, I had some issue with mine - roof metal sagging due to large non trussed spans. I like the front porch being angled up in the triangle there - I was also looking at such a design, but decided to lift the front porch a metre to offset the roof views looking sideways at the house. Another observation - laundry - cannot make one out from the plans, if you do have one its best if the laundry door leads directly to outside, makes lugging the loads from machine to hangers easier on the (wife's) back.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby rigpig on juice » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:55 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Rigpig,
That's a large roof area to support, I hope you have read about Max's problems, but it should be okay with all the columns, or are you going to use Colorbond?
Just a word of warning about changing the plans yourself... it changes all the specs, which can be very confusing for the engineer and builder. Each change on mine I had the architect redo the changes and the specs (the computer automatically recalculates) and I still ended up with a bad design flaw that nobody saw.
Good luck, the house reminds me of outback Australia.

The architect we are using will make changes to the plan. We agreed that he will work on the plan until it meets our approval.

We are going with Ha Hueng Zedar Shakes for the roof. They weigh 28 kg per m2, so they are about 50% lighter than CPAC roofing tiles. Still it will be a heavy roof.

Cheers,
rigpig
rigpig on juice

Postby rigpig on juice » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:01 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:I like the design, reminds me of my one. Square is nice and simple to build, good layout inside. I like the roof also, big cavity inside, what angle will you have it at, 25 or 30 degrees? Your plans for the roof should be fully trussed, I had some issue with mine - roof metal sagging due to large non trussed spans. I like the front porch being angled up in the triangle there - I was also looking at such a design, but decided to lift the front porch a metre to offset the roof views looking sideways at the house. Another observation - laundry - cannot make one out from the plans, if you do have one its best if the laundry door leads directly to outside, makes lugging the loads from machine to hangers easier on the (wife's) back.

The roof will be 25 degrees. From looking at the architects drawings the roof looks to be fully trussed, but I will confirm.

The laundry room is the 4x3m room with the 3 boxes. The boxes are supposed to represent the washing machine, dryer and sink.

We are going to use Conwood on the floor for the wrap around deck. How do you like it Max?

Cheers,
rigpig
rigpig on juice

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:11 am

rigpig on juice wrote:
We are going to use Conwood on the floor for the wrap around deck. How do you like it Max?

Cheers,
rigpig

I love conwood. If it was a little cheaper, I would have done everything outside with it. I have had the conwood down in the front and on the elevated walkway now for a month in rainy season, no issues whatsoever, so stains, no smells, no infestations, no size changes, no squeaking, no cracking or peeling.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby rigpig on juice » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:17 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
rigpig on juice wrote:

Cheers,
rigpig

I love conwood. If it was a little cheaper, I would have done everything outside with it. I have had the conwood down in the front and on the elevated walkway now for a month in rainy season, no issues whatsoever, so stains, no smells, no infestations, no size changes, no squeaking, no cracking or peeling.

Excellent!
rigpig on juice

Next

Return to Your Building Story