My little house in mainland front kho Samui...

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My little house in mainland front kho Samui...

Postby Sunpax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi,

I have seen some workers yesterday from Surat...

I have get a quote to put shera on the wall of 600 bahts the m2 ...all incluse

Do you think its alright ?

Then for painting i am happy quote is 85 B m2 ( big difference than here in khanom of 200 B m2 :(

in july I had to pay some 1300 to 1500 B day by worker for concrete ! and its look ugly, still sick about this 3 workers..

Any way..nothing is done but I hope that this new team will make a better work !

I also need to renew all my bathroom upstairs ( I get so tired to redone NEW things) same with almost all security irons..ect ect
Sunpax

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Sunpax wrote:Hi,

I have seen some workers yesterday from Surat...

I have get a quote to put shera on the wall of 600 bahts the m2 ...all incluse

Do you think its alright ?

I would say that if it is labour only then it is way too high. If it includes the Shera then there is not enough information as there are many different sizes and patterns of Shera all at different prices.

Will it be attached directly to the wall or will they attach it to steel? Will they use plastic plugs in concrete or screws into steel?
Basically there is not enough information.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sunpax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:42 pm

well they have telling me that it will be fix direct on the wall ,with a special pistol !

i was telling them that i want to see an exemple ..because " normally " its install on the alu frame ! no ?

will be some kind of "splendid plank" by Shera and the price of 600 B its with material..

Thanks
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Sunpax wrote:well they have telling me that it will be fix direct on the wall ,with a special pistol !

Their "special pistol" is a nail gun available at any store for around 1,200 baht to 5,000 baht and runs off an air compressor. Very fast easy way of attaching Shera wood.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Ok "air gun"

and is good or not ?

I have never seen that before so i cannot give a go for all my walls without to see in real !

what i don't want is that they damage my walls

any opinion on that ?
Sunpax

Postby jack9 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:59 pm

hi sunpax

you should ask to see what kind of work this group has done before in your area. Then you will be able to see the quality of work with yourself. if they are not able to show any work, then it is quite risky to hire them. In this case, is the person who recommended them to you someone you can trust, like a doctor or in my case, a mechanic I have known for a long time. In case of problem, at least there is someone to fall back on.

About price of shera, have few brand. You should visit a big store to see which brand and which color you like and ask for quote based on what you have chosen.

For painting, is your wall straight already to your satisfaction already? If not, you should ask them to render again before painting. Price for painting range from 30-60baht. But you should consider the cost of paint which I assume will be good quality and expensive.

I think by now you should know the cost of material, time wasted and heartache is more than a simple quotation. So try to make sure this group of workers will be the last set to make things right.
jack9

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Sunpax wrote:well they have telling me that it will be fix direct on the wall ,with a special pistol !

i was telling them that i want to see an exemple ..because " normally " its install on the alu frame ! no ?

will be some kind of "splendid plank" by Shera and the price of 600 B its with material..

Thanks

A very thin (may be 6mm or 10mm) sera plank with wood pattern 25 cm was about 130sq M when we built our water house. If they are going to nail it then that will be very quick. If it will be painted after fixing then it sounds like little a bit of a high price price but it could be OK. But I would ask to see a place that they have done this before so you can judge the work.

The important thing is the final look, if it's a good competent crew it could be worth the cost. But if it is people who learn as they go along then its unlikely that you will get a good job.

If it won't be painted then unless materials are much more expensive where you are it sounds very high. If it is a plain board then it also sounds way too high.

The material I'm talking amount is here http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3851&start=60
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sunpax » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Jack..I know now by experience here, that you can double or triple the salary doesn't bring you any better work :(( ( beleive me ..my wallet know )

I had this thinking too ..that to pay a very good price will bring me less probleme and more satisfaction !! in fact here NO.

Sometimeswoodworker ...thanks...i think it will be more expensive because i need to pay for painting the shera !

I have contact shera in Bangkok..one of their people there will help me with material and installlation

I prefer that they make the sample in front of me...because sometimes they show you some work but its a different worker who have make it for them ! (working with them or for them !!!)

This afternoon they have also tell me that they can do my perimeter wall ..need to render and put some nice stones in the front..and oh surprise..nobody have one word about its so ugly made ! because in fact its really really bad :(

Its for me a good sign that this people don't ask me more money because its difficult to finish !

I am so tired to hear that my house look ugly and cheap :twisted: every 5 mn ..oh can not do ...too difficult..need more money ..grrrr..for in final make more ugly than before lolll
bunch of shark and other words that I will keep for myself ;))
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:31 am

Sunpax,
You're doing this the wrong way, you should have contacted Shera weeks ago and know exactly what you want. Ask the builder if he will be there the whole time supervising and if he says yes then let him get on with the job if you're happy with the initial work and price. The only thing you need to do is check that the Shera planks are laid straight by checking the first one they put in place with a level.... then get out of their way and let them work, but hover in the background.
All this square metre stuff is crap, you are paying for a job to be done, if you're happy with their price then let them work, if not negotiate.
Builders quote on a job that they calculate will make them a profit, the ones that use square metres to calculate cost have little idea of what they are doing.
It's advise Sunpax, take it or leave it, but remember every time you were given it before you ignored it, or chose to ignore it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sunpax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:58 am

Some times adviced are given by people who cannot have exactly an idea on what is going on ! too many differents parameters going on differents building

sometimes the same people are not able to take their advices for themself and get a load of probléme too !!!!

This said I will continue to do my best with what I get ! and keep in mind only the advices I can put in work here where I live...with my personality...my budget, my house ..ect ect

I just need advices on technic things...I hope you don't mind that i tell the true !
Sunpax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:00 am

Sunpax,
Without flaming, I gave you advise, but you ignored it again. Then you started talking about price per metre which you can't work on.
Roger Ramjet wrote:Their "special pistol" is a nail gun available at any store for around 1,200 baht to 5,000 baht and runs off an air compressor. Very fast easy way of attaching Shera wood.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:18 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Sunpax,
Then you started talking about price per metre which you can't work on.

May be its a little pedantic, but yes you can and get to the same end result.

If the builder will only quote in price per Sq metre then you would have to ask him how many Sq meters in the job. If he can't or won't tell you then it's clear that you do not want him to do the job.

If he does then it's simple math to multiply by the Sq m price. And you both have the figure you need.

You have to have trust in your builder to have an open ended contract, you should never start with one and with most builders you should never have one.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:56 am

Sometimewoodworker,
Sometimewoodworker wrote:May be its a little pedantic, but yes you can and get to the same end result.

Firstly, Sunpax doesn't even know what type of Shera wood she wants, the thickness or the design. Secondly, she hasn't said if painting is included, or if he supplies the paint or not. Thirdly, if he supplies the paint what type it is, the brand and how many coats will be applied.
The problem stems from no information, which is Shera wood, the type, the thickness and the design...... Sunpax hasn't even got a catalogue and you're talking about price per sq metre which, I hate to say, at this stage is baloney.
The next problem is how much work the builder is going to have to do to rectify all the mistakes made so he can fix the Shera wood to the walls so it laps and is straight enough to nail the Shera plank to.
The other problem is he's outlaid 10,000+++ baht already in buying both the nail gun, the special nails and the compressor and needs to recover his money somehow, so he must add a little extra each job to get his money back there.
And he has travel expenses, and finding "workers" and keeping them and paying them and housing them and...... well you get my drift I'm sure.
So please tell "pedantic" me, :D , just how you are going to work out the cost? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby jack9 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Sunpax wrote:
I have contact shera in Bangkok..one of their people there will help me with material and installlation

if they are recommended by shera, then it's ok as you have fallback in case of problem
jack9

Postby Sunpax » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 pm

RR Who tell you that..???

I have so many catalogues here..its now so long time i am looking at this product !!!
I had my first contact with Shera in September..the work on the house will be in about 3 months

between Shera.. conwood and smartwood..I did make a big research on the qulaity ect ect

But you seem to know better than me..!!! why by the hell do you want me to be the one I am not !!!

I have built this house alone NO Thai wife to translate no car..nobody to help me..even nobody to drive the workers sometimes...had to be there everyday...to take care about EVERYTHINGS
I draw the house buy all material by myself..ect ect..painting th inside myself..do the tiling in the bathroom downstairs..install water filter alone ect ect ect.....and you think i cannot decide wich kind of "shera" I want , need for the house ???

For what I was suprise with the air gun ? its because ..even the man workiing for Shera was for the frame on the wall..ect ect...

If I come (maybe my mistake) here to ask about the price by m2 ( for work) is to have a little idea..and not to find someone who must tell me from a to z what I need to do..
I f I have decide ( and I pay the price) to stay alone its because I love my freedom ...but is maybe a concept of life , bigger of what you can understand

and NO I am not stupid..only because my English is so bad !!! I am very polite but come a time when I cannot let people walk on my head !!!

look first at you house..and all the bad things done there...and ask you ! if you are so smart for the other why not for yourself !

you don't like me I don't care ..
Sunpax

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story