My little house in mainland front kho Samui...

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

My little house in mainland front kho Samui...

Postby Sunpax » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:28 pm

it's now some months since I read ask and read again The CoolThaihouse forum...

First thanck you everyone for your help and answers...

It is now with emotions that I begin my own Thread !

my first pictures for the house :

the big mango tree down..I went this morning alone and try to clean the wood,to make the small wood on one side ..put the leaves away... and very big wood in safe place ! and then i phone and 3 workers was coming to help me ! so heavy so hot mak mak

Other picture show the back of the land, I have big ptobléme to make them understand, that i want that the makro take more soil and stone from the little montain if not i will loose 3 meters for garden behing the house...and my land is so small that every little corner is important for me ...!

Tomorow again at 8 am if they want to come ! the makro will come try to take of more soil and make the big wood in place...
Attachments
005 [640x480].JPG
004 [640x480].JPG
003 [640x480].JPG
002 [640x480].JPG
001 [640x480].JPG
Sunpax

Re: My little house in mainland front kho Samui...

Postby geordie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Sunpax congratulations on breaking ground at last be careful with the removal at the back
you may end up needing an expensive retaining wall
The accepted level of slope is 45% so if you cut back more than 45%slope it will lead to later collapse also allow for a lot of water coming downhill towards your house so good drainage on the plot to lower ground
You could terrace the back and landscape (cheaper than removal) maybe a couple of steps?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanck you

Yes was thinging to cut water drain pipe (concret) in two (if possible without break it in more pieces) and then make like stairs, garden ....better than a retaining wall ? what you thinck ?

But first by security need to down the big stone and the roots of the tree maybe !

let see tomorrow morning what the makro can do or not !

(did I said already sorry for my English ;))
Sunpax

Postby Sunpax » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:58 pm

So the big "makro" cartepillar, was here today...has take off some soil , I thinck now I have enough soil to fill my house ground ...the big stone and sisters are down...

The grrrr of the day is not that they say 8 oclock and make me wait until 10 to tell me then maybe in afternon ..no the thing is they want 6000 bahts for 1 hour and alf work :(
I have tell them to go speack with my builder..no way i will pay that price...

on the picture you can see that I have keep enought slope (i hope !)

The first picture is the last one.....work finish
Attachments
006 [640x480].JPG
005 [640x480].JPG
004 [640x480].JPG
003 [640x480].JPG
002 [640x480].JPG
001 [640x480].JPG
Sunpax

Postby Sunpax » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:20 am

Well, after asking around seems that 6000 bahts is a normal price for here...3000 bahts to bring the big makro and 3000 for 1h 15 mn
the small makro here cost 900 bahts hour.

I paid...

fondations will continue next week, after i am back from Bangkok...
Sunpax

Postby geordie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:44 am

Not wishing to worry you but do the mafia own the local services ??? :twisted: that rental is more expensive than it would have been in the uk = way more expensive, and definately more than we paid in chayaphum for a case; backhoe £60 for a day
I supose lack of availability/choice means they can hold you to ransom i would check out the concrete and block prices locally
you may have to rent a fishing boat and smuggle the stuff in the good new is the slope you created should be enough although its hard to tell from a photo
geordie

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 am

Sunpax wrote:Well, after asking around seems that 6000 bahts is a normal price for here...3000 bahts to bring the big makro and 3000 for 1h 15 mn
the small makro here cost 900 bahts hour.

I paid...

fondations will continue next week, after i am back from Bangkok...

I am in complete shock by those prices!

As suggested, perhaps its best for you to find out sooner rather than later the price of all major building materials such as rebar, metal beams, blocks or bricks, insulation, roof tiles, etc - it may be cheaper to buy an old pickup for 150,000 and bring supplies in yourself from the nearest reasonably priced city/shops than shop locally - once the project is done sell off the truck. Otherwise you will be taken to the dry cleaners.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby geordie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:39 am

is mainland front on kho samui island :?:
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:21 am

I am still sick about ...but what can I do, here its a big family everybody is cousin of...!

I have check already price for material here in the 2 shops .

I need now, to look at every thing and to be there all day long to see if they really need all the material they make me buy...!

Its really hard to go that way...all this stress is harmful (will be for everyone)

Geordie I am near Don Sak...

Happy Songkran everybody
Sunpax

Postby dozer » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Here in Pattaya the prices for the smaller JCB are about 5,000 per day.

For a big Makro it is more expensive, at least about 10,000 per day.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby pattayapope » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:27 pm

Sunpax

For a big Makro plus delivery charges I would not feel too bad as Dozer says the cost of a big makro is about 10,000 baht a day + delivery charges. The best deal is a JCB as they can drive anywhere, might not be as powerfull but they can get most jobs done. I recently paid 5500 baht for a day for a good condition JCB, he was supposed to come at 8 am but turned up 40 minutes late (TIT). I think you will have more supprizes to come as the build progresses.

Anyway good luck
pattayapope

Postby geordie » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:29 pm

I suspect that is confirmation you are living with bandits ????
Even allowing for inflation the price of that machine was extortion
How to proceed from here- WITH EXTREME CAUTION
!st i am still not sure if you are on an island ??? if you are you are at the mercy of the bandits
through lack of choice
Try and get someone to write a note for you with the basics on it
One mtr of sand 3mtrs of concrete 1000 cement blocks and put the prices near each item that you are willing to pay quoted from a builders yard NOT NEAR YOUR HOUSE
be prepared to walk and put the whole project on hold if the material prices are getting inflated and putting you over your budget
Let the builder know and understand you are not being cheap charlie(charlotte)you are genuine with your budget and have no more
Do not assume your builder is on your side my wife had a discussion with a thai lady as to why she was supporting my bids on an article was she not thai(my wife)
it was then explained that it was her job as my wife not to waste OUR money
Be strong with the builder and question everything if something is taking too long you will notice men wandering aimlessly
BE ON SITE EVERY DAY this is the most important thing you will ever do so why trust someone to screw it up reading between the lines if it goes wrong you have no recovery
Get them to build a sala sit in there with a book and watch and record
Unlikely they read english/swiss even less likely so it could be your shopping list
Record progress daily and tell them if you think something is slow ask why
Do some lunch for them to keep them sweet especially when concreting and maybe now and then a couple of beers in the evening if you can afford to again it may put them on your side to a degree
Let them know the makro driver is a bandit and that it is not to happen again??
geordie

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:47 pm

geordie wrote:!st i am still not sure if you are on an island ???

Mainland, Surat Thani, A marks the spot:
don sak.jpg
fredlk

Postby Sunpax » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanck you Fred, I am more little down after Don Sak near Khanon ... my land is at about 1 km from the beach ! protect at the back by my little turtle montain ;)

Like Dozer said 10000 bahts the day for big macro...well I still thincking they have make a little money on my back.

I am allways very nice with my workers...and try to bring them water , food ect. but for sure is not so easy for a woman to drive them ..the way I want..!

The other thng is I don't have find any builder here who can speak English and sometimes comunication is hard enought !

I begin to know many people around...try to stay myself ! because I don't want to try to please everyone...I like my freedom..

Thanck you Geordie for your advices...

I hope that I will have enought energy, patience and cleaver mind to do my house !

More pics will come next week ...all your help is much apreciate :)
Sunpax

Postby tothemark » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:04 pm

dozer wrote:Here in Pattaya the prices for the smaller JCB are about 5,000 per day.

For a big Makro it is more expensive, at least about 10,000 per day.

Dozers, figure for the big Makro back hoe. a 23 tonner are comparable to what i paid in Isaan last month. 17000 to clear some land, they thought they would do it in under two days but it took them three days and they were seriously pissed by that (quoted job), they went away saying never again - land too difficult.

But they did do some work with the same machine for the builder and it turns out he paid 5000 for what was no more than half a day.

What nobody seems to factor in, is that the crawler hoe needs a low loader to bring it to site and so a little job of two hours is always going to be loaded.

For comparisons a jcb sitemaster in the UK with fuel and driver - on site -(delivery extra) is £23 an hour,(1100bht)

A back hoe 24 tonne is £40 (2000bht) an hour fuel and driver, but the killer is the low loader delivery and collection which locally is £100 each way (10,000bht)
tothemark

Next

Return to Your Building Story