Thai style house - Lopburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Thai style house - Lopburi

Postby blairl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:41 pm

thanks for all your compliments - i said we're very pleased with the house, so its nice to hear others saying nice things about it

we were lucky with the land, i was shown 5 or 6 plots outside the village - none of which i liked, the last 1, they said "theres only 1 more for sale - but you wont like it" - we looked at it, and it was perfect - in the centre of the village, right next to the land the family lived on before - with the best view in the village - i think they thought we wouldnt like it because we couldnt grow a farm on it!!

the louvres were a solution to keeping sun off the walls of bedroom 2 and 3, and make a breezeway (we thought they'de look good also)

we'll search through to see if there are any pictures during the roof construction - on the main roof, the overall dimensions are 5.5 X 10metres - the size of that room - the trusses are spaced at 2.5m centres, and purlins? approx 700mm apart. to brace it all, we put a diagonal timber brace throughout. the bargeboards we had an a4 elevation which we drew a grid onto, then a large grid on 3-ply sheets laid end-to-end inside the old house.we used 1/2 inch pvc pipe to draw a smooth curve then jig-sawed the shape to make templates - the challenge was how to construct the bargeboards to get maximum economy and strength from the 5m X 12inch X 1.5inch teak we had bought to make them from. we considered putting tiles on the roof in the traditional style - but i was concerned about the weight - zincalume braced the roof further, was available in single spans, guaranteed for 15 years, and looks modern and clean, the australian who put the roof on had a lifetime of experience, so we also got the right advice from him.

happy to provide further information on any aspect of the house!
blairl

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:05 pm

blairl wrote:
2.jpg

Impressive roof, well done.... Is that red grout you have between the grey floor tiles?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby ivankrakow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:39 am

Hi,

This is definitely the best house I have seen on this forum. I was wondering how comfortable it is with fans, high ceiling, etc. I am currently working in Taiwan, when we return to Thailand, this is exactly what I would like to build. How long have you lived in it, as I am sure there are details you would change at this point. Also any sketched would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,

Ivan
ivankrakow

Postby blairl » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:45 am

Those fans in the living room do a great job keeping the air moving - good enough for staying in the room in the evenings - we have air conditioners in 2 bedrooms, a good mix so we sleep comfortably. But if i was to work from the house i have no doubt i'd want an air conditioner in the office.

When building it took time to get all the details resolved, and bought like the timber screen wall divider with carved pattern.
We or the family have lived there since early 2010. its a good comfortable, liveable house - the big room especially upstairs for me is like a hall - great for playing music loud and there are plenty of places around the house for people to have their own space.

No sketches, but if you tell me what aspect interests you, i'm happy to provide whatever info you need

Cheers - Blair
blairl

Postby Ivan krakow » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi,

I was wondering how comfortable you are without Aircon? I presume with the high ceiling, along with the fans you must get enough of a breeze ?? Also I wondered if there was anything you would have done differently ? I am planning to build a house in Thailand in 2 years, and am intrigued with traditional style Thai homes, figuring that over the years they must have come up with a design that cooled there homes,as much as possible

Thanks

Ivan
Ivan krakow

Postby blairl » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:15 pm

hi Ivan -

basically its so hot most of the year - particularly in the central north, that either you live in comfort with aircon running 24/7, or get used to some compromise - i think its an individual choice of how much air conditioning you want to use.

i would think the thai style roof must be the best solution - keeping most of the hottest air high, minimising roof facing the sun directly with steep pitches, overhangs to keep sun off walls. fans really do a good job - at far less environmental expense than aircon. Other ideas to cool the house include having a watering system that runs water across the steel roof to cool - large trees for shade and making a cooling breeze, as well as keeping the sun off the ground so there isnt reflected heat from hard-baked earth.

one thing i havent figured out id why traditional style is so closed - perhaps for safety, but they are like timber cabinets, and dense roof tiling also seems intuitively would heat up and retain heat - but again i suppose back 60 years there were not too many options - coconut leaves would have been more practical but not as presentable.

hmmm - i cant really think of much we would have done differently - for the land orientation, view opportunities..., i think we did well, i think the choice to go for traditional thai was a good one - for functional reasons as well as aesthetic, the planning works well, the budget wasnt wasteful, we achieved a good house for 2-3 million baht, the house is not a overly grand or showy, the materials are comfortable timber, and practical concrete and zincalume...

My opinion is thai style is (generally) best in the country - particularly in a village, and western style in the city. our personal brief was not to build a show house, but to build a comfortable, family, country house, which we thought the thai style well answered this concept.

regards Blair
blairl

Postby blairl » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:27 pm

hi ivan

with a couple of days to think what i would have done differently in building the house - i think the best advice i could give would be - find good builders, and i dont know how you'd do that!!

Its not the most expensive company that will understand a unique design - perhaps guys who seem the most appreciative of intersting construction methods, and who also can show you some details of work theyve done - i was frustrated by some of our builders poor work that showed they had no idea in 3d - how to achieve things like mitred cuts we needed to support angled eaves corner junctions.

regards Blair
blairl

Postby Ivan krakow » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Blair,
Comments and questions.

From the pictures it looks like you built concrete box beams for floor support, than spanned with a wood floor? if that is correct, I was wondering why not pour a complete concrete floor and tile? or apply wood over concrete??

Was wondering what you thought about leaving an opening along the roof ridge line, so as to create a chimney affect ( let or get the hot air out) Of course another small cap about 150mm above the opening to keep out the rain?

I agree it makes sense to have aircon in a couple of bed rooms, but it seems like you have a high ceiling in that room as well?

I like the deck around the house , as it really increases your living space, especially with your exterior walls that seem to be made up of pivoting glass doors than can all open on to it.

I am in construction management now, but use to be a welder, i tend to think steel more than most, so was thinking of using square steel tubing for the main roof rafters, the only issue would be a nailing suface, but could fasten a nailer to the steel. Just thinking of the cost of wood.

Seems like Termites are a concern in Thailand, so was wondering if that is an issue as well?

Well thanks in advance Blair

Ivan
Ivan krakow

Postby cyclist150242 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi Can you please tell me where I find photos that go with this post,and any other posts
cyclist150242

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:38 pm

cyclist150242 wrote:Hi Can you please tell me where I find photos that go with this post,and any other posts

On this and previous pages. If there are no photos here then none have been posted.
There is also the coolthaihouse photo gallery but that is quite separate.
fredlk

Postby blairl » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Hi Ivan

We used this construction method because it seemed the "purist" assembly of parts - and having no house design experience i didnt know a "cleverer" way to build it - the look and philosophy of construction seemed the natural way to go.

The materials are mainly natural finish, and the concrete is used only as a frame for the timber cladding/ construction. also i believe for cooling - to keep surfaces thin is better - so a concrete slab with timber facing is doing the floor twice and the traditional,- most beautiful (natural) method is with beams supporting the finished floor - tiles just dont have the look for warmth or country style (to me).

The timber supporting the floor is second-hand mai daeng - which i believe is more insects proof than mai yarng mai na 3 (rubber tree timber??) that we used for the roof framing. i cant imagine how you'd achieve a space at the ridge line as a vent without it looking bulky, i think the ambient heat is as high as the temperature upstairs - so it wouldnt i think achieve much improvement in the comfort level anyway.

For the skill of the builders, and how much they "have a handle" on aesthetics - timber seemed the way to go - also when they couldnt do something how i wanted it - i had to do my best to do it myself - like getting the bargeboard curves good enough - things like that take a bit of art - difficult to do with steel, and i have a little skill with jig-saws etc - none with welding - for your skills and knowledge of managing construction, steel may be the way to go - if you can radius the roof framing (if thats what youre doing)

Yep we have high ceilings in A/C rooms.

Probably somewhere else on this website there must be a forum on termites - its always been talked about as long as we've been in the building/ thinking process - it hasnt been an issue (yet) for us - i believe there are sprays for termites.

thanks for asking - its good to get the posts/ replies numbers up - the house (because we did it) is too unique for it to slip down into the archives of the site :lol:

Blair
blairl

Postby elgato » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:03 am

Very nice house! :D Could you post some pics of the construction phase?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Previous

Return to Your Building Story