Up country-Isaan build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Up country-Isaan build

Postby runker » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:23 pm

nice shower fix BZ
runker

Re: Snagging and more snagging

Postby elgato » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:37 pm

tothemark wrote:
colour.JPG

The scariest thing about this is that the mil actually likes it ! Thank christ i didnt let her pick all the house tiles !

OMG!! I laughed so hard I spilled my beer! :lol:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby olavhome » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Really liked design of toilett. Easy to keep clean. Do you remember brand/price ? :?:
olavhome

Postby tothemark » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:42 am

olavhome wrote:Really liked design of toilett. Easy to keep clean. Do you remember brand/price ? :?:

The toilet came from Global, make American Standard and was 6690, hope that helps

Picture 048.jpg
tothemark

Postby olavhome » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:43 pm

Thanks a lot. Going to make hous for daughter and MIL next spring so will keep in mind :)
olavhome

Ensuite remodel.

Postby tothemark » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:13 pm

Well i never believed i would have to remodel the house before it was completed !But here we are on the ensuite fixing previous bodges.

It turned out that we are "missing" 7 boxes of tiles for the bathroom walls and as no one had checked :roll: we had to rip off all the tiles the first tiler did. To be honest that wasnt a bad thing because his work was terrible. The way that he had started the tiling would have resulted in cut down tiles at the ceiling line amongst other things, so hey presto we ripped the lot off .

The first tilers work, you can just see the "external" water feed pipe exiting at waist height beneath the shower head :shock:
To some it may seem ok, but in reality it was amateurish, trust me, lol.
tiled2.JPG

Anyway we ripped them off and the new tiler who redid the mils bathroom started to put the new tiles on - Getting these tiles was a stroke of luck, the fil found an almost perfect match in Phon Phisai about 40 km away in a tile store and they came in at about 320bht a box (6 30x60 to a box) , which is probably about 400bht a sqm.
tiled4.JPG

tiled5.JPG

Now we had a problem with the floor tiles as we were also one box short on those !
By now the fil is getting pretty peeved about wanting to finish this job off as the tiler has another job to go to and neither of us want to lose him before the job is finished, thats for sure, his work is really good.
Try finding semi rough or rough floor tiles, 30x60 in deepest darkest Isaan, two days of searching up to 50 klm radius resulted in nothing suitable.
So off the fil goes on the bus to Udon Thani and goes to Global to find a similar floor tile. Many of us may presume thats no big deal, but unlike the builds in CM etc where there is always a Global close by, Udon is over 100km,s from Pak Khat. To cap it all he buys the 8 boxes of floor tiles at Global and brings them back on the bus !! Thats some weight to shift by bus and I am well impressed with his determination, if he actually drank I would buy him a beer. Well done fil :D I take it all back what i have said about you :lol:
tiled6.JPG

Soon we should be finished with the remodel, probably not the last tho, lol
tothemark

Jim'll fix it

Postby tothemark » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:23 pm

My tribute to Jimmy Saville a solid Leeds icon, 8) is that its fun to fix things as well, it just takes money, :lol:

Do you remember this ?
outlet.JPG

One of the easier fixes to do :
kitsink.JPG
tothemark

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:26 am

I dont know whether to offer my condolances ; or congratulate you on insisting on putting it right :roll: but better to get it right now than move in and try to correct the stuff you are not happy with you seem to be taking it in your stride well done on that also :D you will get there soon and it will all be worth it

not as uncommon as you think to refurb on completion
An office block i worked on years ago as a labourer had a desighn flaw it leaked lik a seive i could not tell you how much mastic we pumped into that place but i was employed as a cradle hand cutting a slot around all the windows 10 floors then fill the slot we cut with sealant then where they had the steel frame it was brick clad then plastered over the void all the steels had to be exposed and the cavities waterproof rendered a real pain in the *** job it delayed the place being opened by about 5-6 months and you just know it will cause problems all through its life
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby unclezillion » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:02 pm

refurb is going to happen in some cases as what is a good idea on paper is often something that you just can't live with!
unclezillion

Remodelling v2

Postby tothemark » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:31 pm

i didnt like the wood surround to the cupboard doors and funnily enough we still had some wall tiles left from the first tiling of our bathroom :roll: so we used those instead as the surround

Before
kitwood.JPG

After
kittile.JPG

Just about there with our bathroom, had to use the kitchen tap, :), until we get out to buy another one.
Need a bit of grout wash tho.
IMG_32.JPG
IMG_19.JPG
IMG_20.JPG

Semi rough tiles for the shower room floor.

The lines on the house look fine now, bit chocolate box looking, lets just hope they are soft centres :)
IMG_07.JPG
IMG_23.JPG

Next stage is to level the earth at the back, and do a concrete driveway base, plus sort those damn railings out...
tothemark

Postby tothemark » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:32 pm

unclezillion wrote:refurb is going to happen in some cases as what is a good idea on paper is often something that you just can't live with!

You know what, thats exactly what i said about my first marriage ! :lol:
tothemark

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:13 am

tothemark wrote:
unclezillion wrote:refurb is going to happen in some cases as what is a good idea on paper is often something that you just can't live with!

Ditto :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Ians » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:38 am

MGV12 wrote:
tothemark wrote:

Ditto :lol:

I'll drink to that :lol:
Ians

Postby elgato » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16 am

Kitchen looks much better with the tiles replacing the wood :D
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby tothemark » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:32 pm

It seems an age since i last posted on here, so thought i would post a couple of updates.

The water tank has finally been commissioned, Thai style, looks like that filter will need washing daily tho, but at least we still have water :D
IMGP01_07.JPG

Finally got some earth delivered for the back of the house and the road in. Initially we used a small local tractor to shift it about and then.......
IMGP01_17.JPG

IMGP01_15.JPG

the mil spotted this working on the road and for 500 baht hey presto a full road planing machine - Otis will love that pic !
IMGP01_10.JPG

IMGP01_13.JPG

I am over in los for the first three weeks of April, so should have a load of snagging pics to show, hopefully after as well as before pics..
tothemark

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story