Up country-Isaan build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Up country-Isaan build

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:58 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:CDNinKS,
I am in total agreement about filling the crack with a cat, way too large, perhaps a small cobra or even the tail of a rat (maybe two tails). Geordie always gets his animals wrong; no wonder dogs <removed racist epithet - moderator> rule his life.

And a red card for Rodger :lol: :lol: :lol: Ok i am stoned again :roll: legally on painkillers

Toothmark did you check those calculations :lol:

I did mean coats of varnish as you well know
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby tothemark » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Geordie,
Your words of infinite wisdom were taken as gospel and I decided not to check your figures :roll: That could have been partly due to the fact that they were close enough to the nephews not to warrant it...

I always allow for fat fingered keyboard skills, or lack of, to enter the threads, so the correct assumption had been allowed for ! Miaaoww

On site theres a bit of a layoff with regards work, possibly due to booting the nephew, lol.

We have had the Max syndrome enter the equation. Not satisfied with the quality of the decorating skills of the nephews lump hammer gang, we put the word out that we were looking for some decorators. Up pops a team from the local village and quotes 25,000 to redo (not including materials), Once a falang house always a falang price methinks.
Politely (note that Max :lol: ) declining their obvious skills (at working inflated prices out) a neighbouring rubber farmer then put forward his services, I hear the groans already...
But, this guy had been working previously in Koh Samui doing Farang houses there and so we are assuming he knows what he is doing :shock: But he has quoted 1000 baht a room, so we are letting him do two rooms to begin with. This will mean sanding down the walls again and sanding the doorframes, filling in where appropriate and painting. If he passes the motherinlaw test then it just may be plain sailing.... Who knows
Lets hope he is good with ceilings as well, now that the nephews gone the cracks are beginning to appear, no pun intended :evil:
tothemark

Snagging and more snagging

Postby tothemark » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:58 pm

Snagging is just such a great word and it covers such a multitude of sins.

I can possibly see many months of snagging ahead especially as always we get lumbered with jack of all trades master of none. If you hadnt guessed by that title then i have to tell you that the rubber planter neighbour was exactly that, a rubber planter,lol.

I can now appreciate Sunpax's problems in getting staff, here in the sticks we can get staff but when baht is involved the bullshit not only flies but has a tendency to stick.

Luckily he only did two rooms and it cost us 2000 and now ???? Who do we get to do the job correctly, pick up yellow pages, search the net, look in the local paper ??? Its a tough job getting staff that dont blag their cv's and as for recommendations - rural isaan ? Perhaps for a thai village house yes.

You may think I am being fastidious, but from what i can see (bearing in mind photos is all i see) it would appear that the skirting has not had undercoat applied to it and merely had a few coats of white gloss. As the skirting had been treated with a preservative that effectively made it a very dark brown an experienced decorator would have ensured that a good base undercoat had been applied before the top coat was put on. Coupled with the fact that the base line to the skirting has not been properly painted in it is yet another bodge

skirt.JPG
skirt.JPG (51.4 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

paint.JPG

For me, i would have painted the door frame white as well and so yet another snag goes on the list.

The "neighbour" had offered to do some profiling around the front door and we received a photo of his work on a local house - Pity we didnt get a photo of this before we took him on !!!!

I was at the seaside on Sunday, good old Bridlington :lol: and my wife had a chocolate sugar cone with two scoops of ice cream, cherry and blueberry, it was delicious and then I got this photo of the neighbours work..

colour.JPG

The scariest thing about this is that the mil actually likes it ! Thank christ i didnt let her pick all the house tiles !
tothemark

Postby geordie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:48 pm

Now you are being picky i am sure one of those blues matches the roof :lol:
Park the car there you will not have to look at them
geordie

Postby tothemark » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Haha,

Its ok Geordie this is what the neighbour did to someone else's house, he only did two bedrooms for us ! Thank F it wasnt our house that ended up like that or I wouldnt be going back there. lmao :lol:
tothemark

Postby geordie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:49 pm

And there,s me feeling sorry for you :mrgreen:
Probably better to get burgled than have the house vandalised like that
geordie

Postby tothemark » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 pm

You never know, it now transpires that the mils family are going to do the snagging and finish off the painting... Oh WTF.... Dont dispense with the sorrow Geordie, not just yet - remember it aint over till the fat lady sings..................
tothemark

Postby geordie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:07 pm

When i built the house for MIL i let them choose everything :lol: why not a couple of weeks a year there ?
The only thing i got a real suprise with ! the satelite dish right on the front of the house so everyone would know they had satelite FIL disapeared after that you could not drag him away from the tv with a tractor :?
Then again when i first visited the house had the phone No as well as house No when i asked why it was to deter criminals who would know they had a telephone :? :)
geordie

Postby tothemark » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:29 pm

geordie wrote:Then again when i first visited the house had the phone No as well as house No when i asked why it was to deter criminals who would know they had a telephone :? :)

Classic, you could'nt have made that up even if you tried !

A while back a unit I have in Bradford got burgled at 9.00pm right next to a gym that was not only open but overlooked it. The unit in question also had a to let sign on the outside and they used a (noisy) petrol stihl saw to cut a swathe in the drive in roller shutter to get into what was an empty unit, whilst next to the roller shutter door was a plastic entrance door that could have been booted in :lol:

When I mentioned to the copper that I just could not understand the logic (lack of) of the burglars, he told me he used to think the same when he first started in the force but after a while he just gave up trying to think why any specific crime is committed as the majority of all defy any logic to normal people.

So perhaps your in laws have a point - :lol:
tothemark

Postby gymboy34 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:42 pm

tothemark

I read somewhere on yr thread you sourced yr building plans of web, can i ask exactly where? if you dont mind me asking.

cheers
gymboy
gymboy34

Re: the final ubend solution

Postby mrbojangles » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:49 pm

tothemark wrote:This is almost like drilling for water !

But at last we have finally incorporated the one and only waste water ubend. So all the other options have been binned and my wife Noi has plumped for this, as I said keep it simple in deepest darkest Isaan.

DSC02400.JPG

Can you help me out with a query please tothemark.

I'm just into the first phase of our build and am still wondering how many things are done in Thailand. Ours is a Bungalow which is built up from the ground level (not stilts), it will have a concrete floor/base with about half a meter of soil underneath. The concrete is yet to be poured in the bathroom.

Are you saying above that you haven't put a "U" bend or "P" pipe directly below your shower drain? have you just put a "U' bend outside the house? Never having had a solid floor before, I was confused as to how you put a U bend or P trap in and then cover it with concrete as there will obviously be no way of maintaining it later on.
mrbojangles

Postby tothemark » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:14 pm

gymboy34 wrote:tothemark

I read somewhere on yr thread you sourced yr building plans of web, can i ask exactly where? if you dont mind me asking.

cheers
gymboy

Hi Gymboy,
I bought my plans off the web primarily because of time constraints coupled with the fact that I wasnt in the country. They came from smile homes http://www.smilehomes.com/. There are others though and the prices vary considerably.

I paid nearly 20k for them which is expensive compared to an architect who seem to quote anywhere from 5k to 20k for one off designs.

The benefit about the plans i received was that it included 5 copies and a bill of quantities (partial) which helped a lot.

The drawbacks were that it was all in Thai and designed for a an estate type house which meant that you had to come up with your own drainage. Some of the boq specs were weak i.e. windows, but apart from that it helped enormously taking into account the level of bullshit that seems to surround the capabilities of many Thai builders.
tothemark

Re: the final ubend solution

Postby tothemark » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 pm

mrbojangles wrote:
tothemark wrote:This is almost like drilling for water !

But at last we have finally incorporated the one and only waste water ubend. So all the other options have been binned and my wife Noi has plumped for this, as I said keep it simple in deepest darkest Isaan.

The attachment DSC02400.JPG is no longer available

Can you help me out with a query please tothemark.

I'm just into the first phase of our build and am still wondering how many things are done in Thailand. Ours is a Bungalow which is built up from the ground level (not stilts), it will have a concrete floor/base with about half a meter of soil underneath. The concrete is yet to be poured in the bathroom.

Are you saying above that you haven't put a "U" bend or "P" pipe directly below your shower drain? have you just put a "U' bend outside the house? Never having had a solid floor before, I was confused as to how you put a U bend or P trap in and then cover it with concrete as there will obviously be no way of maintaining it later on.

Hi Mr Bojangles,
There have been a lot of discussions on u bends thats for sure. We searched high and low for a floor shower one and despite taking one across from the Uk failed to come up with a workable solution, but bear in mind that this is Isaan territory so choice is limited. I expect Bkk and the likes have the shower traps.

We ended up putting a standard u bend in the accumalator grey water pipe beneath the path outside of the house and yes it was concreted. Am I worried about maintenance ? Not at all. If you look at the diameter of the U bend its a 4" pipe i believe and if that blocks from shaving foam, and thai hair then perhaps i shouldnt have married chubaka :lol:

When I have had a problem with blocked pipes its a damn site easier to use "One shot" ( a caustic soda derived unblocker) which dissolve hairs, than try to clear a u bend !
DSC02400.JPG
tothemark

Inlaws rather than outlaws.

Postby tothemark » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Whilst I have popped up again, its about time i did an update and I have a question, lol -

The mils family of 'builders' do seem to know what they are talking about, mind you i have said those ominous words before, its probably similar to when Murray Walker was commentating on Damon Hills unassailable lead :lol:

Anyway, we have now been quoted 20bht per sqm to re-sand and re-paint the inside and outside of the house to a professional standard, goodness knows what thats going to come in at, Geordie would you like to hazard a guess ?

The mils bathroom is going to have the sink lowered, the shower moved to where it should have been located in the panel, the tiles to the window sill redone and the floor tiled with a correct slope for 3000bht.

Imagination is not a strong point of an Isaan jack of all trades.
Mils shower room with the panel in the wrong place - oh well its only the inlaws shower :)
IMGP_07.JPG

The result of which means that a lot of the tiles for our bathroom will be used up to correct the previous cock ups in the mils. So hey presto, we now have to get a complete set of tiles for our bathroom as we dont have enough left , i can hear Roger chortling already. But the best bit is that the mil is going to have to find the tiles for us........... :shock: My bum cheeks are twitching already :lol:
Price for sorting our bathroom out is 6000.... Who can blame them as some of the concrete thats on the walls isnt even level :roll:

Still have loads to do, isnt it amazing that the final 10% of the house takes up 25% of the build time.
tothemark

Home run

Postby tothemark » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:53 am

The Panasonic showers we bought dont have flow valves (be aware), just a basic pump and heater so that with the shower not running the water will continue to drip flow - basic or what. I did not expect that, but then we are wrapped in cotton wool in the uk when it comes to technology in comparison to Isaan, so my advice is never take anything at face value especially if its cheap !

This means we have to have an external valve to open and shut the water off, coupled with the nephews idea of plumbing we were faced with an external feed pipe as well :evil:
news.JPG

mil5.JPG

All credit to my wife who did this amendment to the photo to explain the requirements and the message finally got through.

As I said in another thread, where theres a problem there is always a solution, so in my opinion we have transformed a pigs ear of a shower room in to 'almost' a silk purse.
IMGP2648_resize.JPG

Ok Ok i know the shower head is low but it is the mils shower room ! 155 short :lol:
mil2.JPG

lowered wash basin, funny though, they put the kitchen tap on this sink - ho hum - you have to laugh :lol: Easy to swap tho, phew.
mil4.JPG

mil3.JPG

One down one to go.
tothemark

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story