Up country-Isaan build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Up country-Isaan build

Postby tothemark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:24 pm

I felt it would be good to post my build project on here rather than TD, as from what i have seen on here i can expect a warts and all approach to the build as opposed to endemic showboating and flaming.

I would have described it as a conventional build, but the use of that word cant be made in LOS without a rueful grin. :) To cap it all, I am not on site to supervise, i bought the plans off spec from the web and I am letting the FIL's nephew build it..

I can hear the alarm bells ringing and the rush for the fall out shelters already.

But hey ho, life is all about risk, I just hope my measurement of the risk is ok..

The site is Bueng Kan Province, way up close to the Laos border.

p-b240.gif
Plans

There are some additional build works to do and I really hate the design of the roof, its just one big lump of slab so intend to introduce some minor changes to the aesthetics of it without compromising the structure/loading and advice would be helpful.
tothemark

Re: Up country-Isaan build

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

tothemark wrote:i bought the plans off spec from the web and I am letting the FIL's nephew build it.

Welcome. The plan looks good if unusual. I haven't seen many Thai houses where the living area is not next to the kitchen.
You might have read some of the building stories here and to my mind apart from some minor disasters most builds seem to go okay.
Just expect things to not go as you expect them to. And everybody goes over budget.
Good luck and keep us posted.
fredlk

Postby tothemark » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Thanks fredlk.

The design is similar to a house that we were renting for my inlaws in Lampang and I must admit it was nice to have some quality space away from the kitchen and that helped influence my decision, but your right it was difficult to find an acceptable design of a long house as opposed to a wide house.

But primarily it was dependant upon the layout of the site of which i enclose a pic :

hsa.JPG
tothemark

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:47 am

tothemark wrote:it was difficult to find an acceptable design of a long house as opposed to a wide house.

Welcome and good luck with the build. My house is double long of what it is wide, so there are designs out there to modify and adapt.
I personally like big master bathrooms, just a suggestion perhaps you can combine your 2 bathrooms together into one big one, and make
a new one for the other 2 bedrooms at the back right there.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm with Max on this one.

If you didn't want to double the size of the bathroom you could use some of that space for a larger kitchen.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mishark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:16 pm

Welcome to CTH. I love Isaan, the relaxed lifestyle, the food, the language, the people. I am currently building a house in a small village of 80 people. First step is to work out what you want (even more important than budget). If you want a palatial home, then yes, look at increasing sizes and quality materials. However, in an Isaan village, unless you are a person who needs the luxury (in which case, probably should not live in an Isaan village), quality after a certain piont is wasted...

Isaan village life is a very communal affair. Everybody takes care of each other. I am never in want of anything. The kids are very respectful, always doing errands. And when hungry, always somebody to cook. But, with many people around, things will (and do) get dirty and worn...

A possiblity, which I should have done, is to build a nice bedroom and ensuite, and then do the rest the Isaan way, slowly over time (which is what I am doing now). A much lower stress way of doing things... (And don't fall into the trap, being told that as the farang everybody in the village expects you to build a fancy mansion)
Mishark

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 pm

Mishark wrote:I love Isaan, the relaxed lifestyle, the food

So you have developed a taste for kapi and para fermented fish sauces?

Mishark wrote: Isaan village life is a very communal affair

Never lived in a communal, although did have a cousin who spent 6 months at a kibbutz. I guess you gotta like it with people coming and going and eating your food all the time, watching your TV, drinking all your beer, sitting all over the floor. Not really my style, but everyone is different, thats what makes the world such a fun place to live in.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Mishark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Max, thanks for your reply, always an interesting discussion.
But to avoid hijacking this thread, I have answered here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2382&p=24225#p24225

Actually your post from ages ago...
Mishark

Postby tothemark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi Max,

I agree with what you say in that the main compromise of the plan is the size of the bathrooms.

It would be nice to alter the ensuite to make it bigger and perhaps a cost effective solution would be to extend it into the thai kitchen to the left (west) as the roof line will then not have to be altered, this would give a longer bathroom.

What i want to try to avoid is to get too personal with the build as primarily it is for the inlaws, albeit the master bedroom is going to be ours for visits hence the consideration for increasing the ensuite size.

Thats also another reason that I am not too worried about the size of the kitchen as the Thai kitchen will probably have more use than the inside kitchen. But now i might consider pinching some of it :)

Personally I'm a fan of the fermented fish sauce once its in the food, its just when its not in the food that it seems to be so rank.

Enclosed is the size of the rooms

- Terrace in front of a large (size 3.00 x 6.00 m).
- Hall, living room, airy (Size 4.00 x 4.50 m), the corridor outside.
- Airy dining room (size 4.00 x 4.50 m).
- Master bedroom (size 4.00 x 4.60 m) with en suite. Bathroom Set.
- Bedroom 2 (Size 4.00 x 4.00 m).
- Bedroom 3 (size 4.00 x 4.00 m).
- Separate kitchen (size 2.00 x 4.00 m).
- Bathroom for Master Bedroom (1.40 x 2.60 m size) with full bathroom suite
- 2 bedrooms, bathroom and bedroom 3 (size 1.40 x 2.60 m) with full bathroom suite
- Public Facilities (Size 2.00 x 4.00 m) ** can be used as a Thai kitchen outside.
- ** 1 car parking can be a room. Home theater room. Or extra bedroom.
tothemark

Postby tothemark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:48 pm

The other build that we have been doing on site is some staff quarters and i asked for superblock, ceilings and a decent roof.

The original staff building came with the site and had resident termites :

hs91.JPG

This staff house is not for the builders ! The builders seem to be sleeping everywhere, in the sheds, store rooms you name it, I just hope the toilets can cope with the addition of all the wives/gf's/kids. One report back was that there were up to 20 people at its peak - the mind boggles.

hs31.JPG

If you keep the outside toilet as the reference point you will work out its location in relation to the staff build and the site in general.

staff1.jpg

stf2.JPG

stf3.JPG
tothemark

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:29 pm

tothemark wrote:
The original staff building came with the site and had resident termites :

hs91.JPG

That is one hell of a shed!! Fred, I hope your colorbond roof ages better.... just kidding, I know it will.

But it's really noble of you to build a proper house for the staff, perhaps you will use it for a garage/storage for yourself once everyone is done. Are you workers from out of town? All my workers are from the local village, so I dont have to worry with accommodation, even if they need a poop they can go home its less than a km away. Makes things much easier.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby tothemark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Now received the soil to lift the site up to avoid flooding from the raised road.

20 lorry loads 450b a load + 50b per load for the tractor to level it. As we are out in the sticks i thought that was ok as a price as when we had some concrete delivered for some additional flooring in a store room we were charged 1850 a cube which was a bit on the high side.

ground.JPG
tothemark

Postby tothemark » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Ground breaking has been done and the monks have been and gone along with various neighbours,extended families etc etc. They didnt take the pics of those events as the monks said that they didnt want their souls to go to the Uk and who can blame them !

gr1.JPG

Rain stopped play
gr2.JPG

All the locals thought it was a two storey build because "they never dig that deep".
gr3.JPG

The plans say 1.5m so thats what they have to do,we said :) They had to get a macro in for a couple of hours at 2000b an hour to get that deep and ended up at nearly 2m because of the infill, as the infill in our opinion didnt count. That must be a tall Thai in the hole then :?
gr5.JPG

gr6.JPG
tothemark

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:35 pm

tothemark wrote:They had to get a macro in for a couple of hours at 2000b an hour

That seems a little on the high side, the going rate here is 3500 per day (8am to 5pm) with 500 baht per hour OT. If you want him for
half a day from 8am to 12pm, its 2000 baht.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby tothemark » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:44 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
tothemark wrote:They had to get a macro in for a couple of hours at 2000b an hour

That seems a little on the high side, the going rate here is 3500 per day (8am to 5pm) with 500 baht per hour OT. If you want him for
half a day from 8am to 12pm, its 2000 baht.

Your right Max, thats the good thing about comments on CTH it forces you to open ones mind a bit further.

To be frank I do think something has got lost in translation, as I have enclosed some more pics of the column holes and i cant believe that they have dug all of them in 2 hours.. But i'll ask and confirm. It could also have been a back hoe as we used that on some land clearing - Perhaps a resident expert can comment by the size of the teeth scars in the walls of the hole ..!

hol1.JPG
hol2.JPG

hol3.JPG
hol4.JPG

Trouble is i am relying on my FIL to be the eyes and the ears and he is on the soft side when it comes to harranging. But I need not fear because the MIL is on her way up from Lampang this weekend for 6 weeks and i know i will then have a Miss Marple on the case.

Incidentally we cleared 8 rai of semi cleared land last month(it had been cleared 9 years ago) which the tractor (Ford6610) couldnt finish because of large bamboo and some trees. The tractor was there for two and a half days and the FIL paid him off (well it was another cousin) at 10k but we had asked him to do it as opposed to some locals who had quoted 30k and it did involve a 50km round trip on his tractor. To finish off the land clearing we did use a big macro (so i am led to believe, possibly a back hoe) and the FIL paid out 17k for the work, but hey ho - no pictures of which macro it was - watch this space.

Cleared land by tractor and macro of some kind :?
Attachments
ln1.JPG
tothemark

Next

Return to Your Building Story