Our house project Phitsanulok

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Our house project Phitsanulok

Postby Ians » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 pm

otis-a wrote:nice build
any plans to issue a cost sheet?
How much time was spent on planning?
Hope the move-in is smooth sailing

Not sure that I'm game enough to actually add up all the costs, especially with the extra's add-on's we seem to be including as we approach the finish line.

Planning, do you mean time spent on design? I lay claim to the design from start to finish, initially the concept was mediteranian / Spanish with a touch of good old Aussie style country house, the wide veranda's all around the house, the low window sills at the front corner /main bedroom with the tall windows.
All in all, I guess from first thoughts to the final concept probably about 12 months with an additional 12 months refining details, moving walls and doors, setting room sizes and final layout, even up till the point of commiting to build I was still making subtle changes. I construsted a scale model of the whole building including the internal layout to get a feel for what it was like, this proved to be a good move as it high-lighted a few problem areas and prompted a couple of changes. So guess it was 2 years of planning with a few changes made even as we built.
Attachments
P1080328.resize2.jpg
Scale model
Ians

Postby runker » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:36 am

<language! - mod> I guess land must cost a lot in Phitsanulok
runker

Postby otis-a » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:39 am

yes the planning shows. Also the roof is nice with minimum of V spots to develop leaks.
During a 2 week visit up and down aussy east coast, i was impressed by the full porch concept old houses. They reminded me of the old southern houses where every thing was about the porch.
The lack of air cons had folk spending more time outside. That, developed a sense of neighborhood. It was impossible to not know your neighbors. The old cities were developed with sidewalks & most people walked or biked to the local corner store.
Compare to modern 'burbs' were there are:
-no porches,
-no sidewalks,
-no corner stores, just malls, fast food, & big stores
-nobody knows anybody
- which now makes even a small city like new york.
- Sick
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby mrbojangles » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Could I ask a question about the floor tiling in your living room etc.

It looks like you have used 600x600 tiles with no or little grouting. That's the type of tile I'm looking at using. Did you have any problems laying them i.e. were the tiles nice and square and did you go for the type with nano coating?
mrbojangles

Postby Ians » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:38 am

mrbojangles wrote:Could I ask a question about the floor tiling in your living room etc.

It looks like you have used 600x600 tiles with no or little grouting. That's the type of tile I'm looking at using. Did you have any problems laying them i.e. were the tiles nice and square and did you go for the type with nano coating?

The tiles are 600x600 Nano White, actually there are off-white and not quite as white as I would have liked - but when buying nearly 200 m2 price is a consideration and I compromised a little and accepted what was "on special" on the day @ Bht 199 / m2.

As for the tile gap, I actually increased the gap from what is considered the norm to about 3mm and used grey grout, ("we don't have such a big gap and we always use white grout"). Why did I do this? well after looking at many floors the grout line always ends up black anyway and uneven due to the closeness of the tiles so I opted to the gap more of a feature hoping that overtime when it does darken at least it will look equal.

Added,
yes the tiles are very square and when carefully laid with spacers between tiles everything looks even.
Ians

Postby mrbojangles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:42 am

Ians wrote:
mrbojangles wrote:Could I ask a question about the floor tiling in your living room etc.

The tiles are 600x600 Nano White, actually there are off-white and not quite as white as I would have liked - but when buying nearly 200 m2 price is a consideration and I compromised a little and accepted what was "on special" on the day @ Bht 199 / m2.

As for the tile gap, I actually increased the gap from what is considered the norm to about 3mm and used grey grout, ("we don't have such a big gap and we always use white grout"). Why did I do this? well after looking at many floors the grout line always ends up black anyway and uneven due to the closeness of the tiles so I opted to the gap more of a feature hoping that overtime when it does darken at least it will look equal.

Added,
yes the tiles are very square and when carefully laid with spacers between tiles everything looks even.

Thanks Ian. Price is always a factor and I noticed that the tiles with nano coating are considerably more expensive than the same tile without. Don't know if there is much advantage in the price difference. I've also seen many of this type of tile laid with no grout and so unless they are dead square, I can forsee problems when laying. I don't know whether to take the gamble of no grout or go with a 3mm gap like you have done.
mrbojangles

Postby Ians » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:41 pm

mrbojangles wrote:
Ians wrote:

Added,

Thanks Ian. Price is always a factor and I noticed that the tiles with nano coating are considerably more expensive than the same tile without. Don't know if there is much advantage in the price difference. I've also seen many of this type of tile laid with no grout and so unless they are dead square, I can forsee problems when laying. I don't know whether to take the gamble of no grout or go with a 3mm gap like you have done.

I have two reasons for the increased gap, 1 as already advised and the 2nd being if you need to replace a tile at any time I think it will be much easier if there is a gap between tiles - butted together I think will be a problem.
Ians

Postby Ians » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Ians wrote:- the triple A
I have two reasons for the increased gap, 1 as already advised and the 2nd being if you need to replace a tile at any time I think it will be much easier if there is a gap between tiles - butted together I think will be a problem.

A couple of point to watch, these tiles come in a 2 or 3 grades usually A, AA, or AAA - the AAA is the top grade, not exactly sure what they or how they set the grade - guess it's straightness / flatness / colour etc , also buy enough for the job all of the same colour code- I had to buy an extra 2 boxes to finish and the colour was slighly different to the first lot. Each box is marked with a batch number / colour code - ie from the same manufacturing batch. Colour varies between different manufacturing times / firings etc. Also if you are running close to using all the tiles, make sure the tiler finishes the main areas with the same tiles - any extra purchase of tiles should go to another area where any colour change won't be so noticable - a lesson learnt by myself - I have 1 tile of slightly different colour in the main lounge area - to me because I know it's there, it sticks out like dogs b*lls.
Ians

Postby geordie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:22 pm

Ians wrote: I have 1 tile of slightly different colour in the main lounge area - to me because I know it's there, it sticks out like dogs b*lls.

After what has happened in the way of misfortune or plain and simple incompetence on other builds!! this is all you can come up with ? 1 tile slightly off colour :lol: :lol: you probably notice it purely because you know its there will you be pointing it out for visitors :mrgreen:
because it sounds highly unlikely they will spot it the place looks fantastic i love the style
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby mrbojangles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:26 pm

Cheers Ian,

I have been bitten before by the batch number issue. It won't happen again. :D
mrbojangles

Postby Ians » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:03 am

geordie wrote:
Ians wrote: I have 1 tile of slightly different colour in the main lounge area - to me because I know it's there, it sticks out like dogs b*lls.

After what has happened in the way of misfortune or plain and simple incompetence on other builds!! this is all you can come up with ? 1 tile slightly off colour :lol: :lol: you probably notice it purely because you know its there will you be pointing it out for visitors :mrgreen:
because it sounds highly unlikely they will spot it the place looks fantastic i love the style

geordie, thanks for the compliment, all should be completed within 2 weeks. will post photo's once completed.
Ians

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:39 am

Ok :D just make sure you put a picture of the ofending tile in there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
it might pay to mark it so those of us without 20-20 vision will know where it is :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Ians » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:45 pm

geordie wrote:Ok :D just make sure you put a picture of the ofending tile in there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
it might pay to mark it so those of us without 20-20 vision will know where it is :lol: :lol:

Just for you I will post a pic of that "bloody" tile. What p#sses me off is, I told the tiler to tile the base of the structure where the built-in oven is to go " use a couple of the large off-cuts that are sitting round never to be used- no one will see it" -- so guess what he used - nudge nudge - wink wink - say no more - a complete good tile. And you wonder why people commit murder.
Ians

Postby elgato » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Ians wrote:
geordie wrote:Ok :D just make sure you put a picture of the ofending tile in there :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Just for you I will post a pic of that "bloody" tile. What p#sses me off is, I told the tiler to tile the base of the structure where the built-in oven is to go " use a couple of the large off-cuts that are sitting round never to be used- no one will see it" -- so guess what he used - nudge nudge - wink wink - say no more - a complete good tile. And you wonder why people commit murder.

Where's the pic of this offensive tile? BTW I sent you a PM
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Ians » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Here's the bloody odd tile, the colours are not quite right but you can certainly see difference. Everytime I look at the built-in oven where what would have been the last tile to finish the job is now located out of sight but not out of mind on my part, I feel like murdering someone.

elgato, have replied to your PM
Attachments
Bloody odd tile.JPG
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story