House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:44 am

DSCN0155.JPG
Kitchen corner guest house...granit

DSCN0161.JPG
Thai outside kitchen ...step by step

Unfortunately my plan to sleep already in 2012 in our guest house failed.
The gypsum team did show up on the last day after waiting 2 weeks for them.
I just said if you finish before I lock tomorrow morning you can start.
First they thought they could do it...till I saw their material...
When we discussed the job and I showed him the "staycool" isolation I wanted to have on the ceiling, they mentioned they could also install isolated gypsum boards and I can use the "staycool" later somewhere else.
I know they do have gypsum also with a 5cm Styrodur foam isolation and was the opinion they mean this and agreed.
Yeah, only that their idea of isolation was a aluminum foil on top of a regular gypsum board.
I explained them the difference between isolation and reflexion and then said ok then please add the "staycool" on top.
Unfortunately this was then too much to finish in one day and so bye bye and see you in April 2013.
Further I also told them the next time to bring the green boards for the bath and not to bullshit me that the other were also protected against humidity... ;)
Bad farang...

I honesty have to admit that the stainless gates and door are not 100% perfect...there are the smal things you can find, but I was tired to discuss and was just happy to be able to have a locked and closed place.
Technically it is fine.
It seemed like the guys never saw such a lock system and handles like I provided them.
Again the wanted to install the door slamed to the lock side and make a hole in the concrete where the snapper and lock falls in.
I had to stop them...told them to center the door in the opening...buid a counter part to the door lock out of square profile and and and...
At least they finally said thanks and appreciated my advice. They even mentioned to my wife that I'm ok...no problem...another farang before asked them to ripp out all and do it new...
What does thios now tell me...I gave up to easy...???...I'm getting too soft...??? ...as I said before, the happyness to be able to lock our place was enough for me!
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:52 pm

It's good to see you back and building. Sad that you also are now plagued by irritations but it comes with the territory. Good luck with the rest and as you have long ago learned this is LOS (Land of Surprises).
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm

I actually am a little bit disappointed that the guest house could not be completed and it will take another trip ...hopefully only one.
Further I only hope that no big surprises will happen or come with the roof of the main house.
As i said I could not complain as long I was there and they always understood what and why I wanted certain things.
The roof is the last big thing, after that I can relax and take my time and do it like I feel.

In future will no trip happen with not at least some real holidays!

One more big step actually was that we got the house book already.
The power guys will have soon a visit on site and give a proposal for the connection to the grid.
I do not want the single phase line in the back and asked for a street crossing and 1 pole to get 3 phase from the main road in the front.
Let's see the quote when it comes!

One thing where I'm proud off, was the calculation of ACC blocks.
Only 3 x 20cm blocks over...and I'm sure I can used them for something....that is real postive with prices already at 77bath a block (Q-Con).

Hopefully my calculations for the roof come out same positive.
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Not much news but very important for me. Our Main house has now a finished roof!!!
Detailed check will be done next time in LOS, but so far it looks good from a photo a farang friend shot for me.
IMG_0756[1].JPG
Main House Roof done

The smal gable is also on the rear side of the house and should help for ventilation of the hot air out of roof space.
The shera boards are mounted with the same screws you use on the steel roofs (head obstructs about 8mm) so that a slight gap stays and air can flow through....no rain as they overlapp.
A good start in 2013 and hopefully we can finish the build (except pool) this year!
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am

Thought I share some info about some very nice sculptures I ordered from somewhere around Nakhonratchasima...

I know the build is not finished, but why a building site needs to look like one ... :wink:

Here a list and prices of what will make our place an Elephant Temple :lol:

Order list elephant scultures_1.doc
(119 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Order list elephant scultures_2.doc
(87 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

Order list elephant scultures_3.doc
(114 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

The material is similar to sand wash and will have the look of sandstone.

The huge wall sculpture will decorate the back side wall of alfresco area.
The two royal elephant heads will be positioned at the 2 comuns beside the entarnce main house.
The laying Ganesha's will be used somewhere at the terasse, the sitting one close to the twin palms.
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:20 am

Its been a while since last updates...
Last trip in March/April was more holidays at Koh Chang and Kanchanaburi.
The few days at home were so disapointing that I left early to Bangkok and chose not to report.
I didn't want to come over like a old grumpy german always only complaining :wink:
In short:
No company for the gypsum ceilings...nobody interested to work...one week before sonkran you are lost in Thailand.
I played a little bit around and gave the wall sculpture a shot. And if it was not enough the last piece (50x100cm) broke when I wanted to lift it in place.
Must have had a slight crack and after wetting and applying the mortar it collapsed.
I was so pi..ed and at that point sure more dangerous than the tigers at the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi before.... :twisted:

The new part is already delivered and will complete the wall sculpture so that I can post nice pictures here next week.

Hope that this time somebody is so nice and will complete our isolated ceiling. Already at a point that I'm happy to get somebody and accept their 1st quotes without any discussion.

My plan beside some painting and electro installation will most propably be planting....trees...palms...everything what provides shaddow and hopefully grows in during the rain season.

Some final words of a farang torn 50 to 50% to stop a build before its finished.
There are days you still imagine how all turns out and what you will all do....and then the days where you ask yourself what are you trying to proof continuing?!
Building a house in Thailand not living there permanently gave me the rest! Maybe it is just our area or it is me just demanding too much. Thais complaining to be poor but not willing to work for very fair payments.
If it would not be my wife asking for staying I would already have sold all out and bought a nice apartment.
Luckily the builds do all have a roof and so I just trying to take it easy and see what happens....there is not ultimate completion date anymore.

My interest in building in Thailnad is at that point....:
The first days of next trip starting tomorrow I will meet up an agent and will 99% buy an apartment in Bang Saray. :shock:

More updates coming week ... :mrgreen:
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:30 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Its been a while since last updates...

It sure has. I was wondering what was happening.
Maseratimartin wrote:I didn't want to come over like a old grumpy german always only complaining

You're not old. :lol:
Maseratimartin wrote:There are days you still imagine how all turns out and what you will all do....and then the days where you ask yourself what are you trying to proof continuing?!

We have all reached that stage. Some have gone beyond. Some reach that stage before even starting their build like someone whose story is on page 76 without even a spade in the ground.
Maseratimartin wrote:The first days of next trip starting tomorrow I will meet up an agent and will 99% buy an apartment in Bang Saray.

Just make sure you're out of earshot of the new Cartoon Network Water Park because I'm sure that 1 million Russians and 1 million Chinese will make a LOT of noise. I'm hoping that the noise won't travel the 5 kilometres to my place. :(
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Maseratimartin there comes a time on seemingly all builds where you wonder if all the effort is worth it. Most who can get past that point seem to agree the trials and tribulation were defiantly worth it.

For myself living in an apartment in Thailand would be the death of me.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Maseratimartin » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:45 pm

@ Bill:
Living permanent in an apartment is sure not comparable to a nice house with garden ...
It is more for the time I'm still working in HK and just spend the holidays in LOS. It will be for family and if I need to escape from the Thai family :wink:
I was thinking about a smal house but then decided to protect my nerves and just go for an apartment...no work...just come and go.
My daughter starts school this year and this limits us so much more with LOS-trips.
Going back to our home means work...a lot clean up...garden...what makes only trips longer than 1 week worth it.
The apartment will allow us even to jump over for a long weekend and knowing we can use every minute for fun and relax.
You will ask now why I started a house build at all....and the answer is because I never thought that it will turn to such big head ache.
Second it should be a safe home for the family in case ...

@Fred:
Yes I see that the Area Bang Saray is changing fast but that is the good thing on an apartment...I will not be special attached and could sell and move as things turn bad.
And if all goes bad I just look out for that shiny white modern build on the other side of the road....hope that guy has his pool finished soon :lol:

Its just that I will not start another house build in this life.
Some years back I was the guy saying he would never buy a already build house...I want to plan and create it and ensure a higher quality.
Last week I asked my wife if I buy a house somewhere closer to the ocean and then we sell the place in Sakeaw ....she needed some time but finally said no.

Let's see as things proceed. Latest it was all bad and that when you are close to the finish.
Forgotten the days I worked like a maniac and instead of relaxing came back to work exhausted.
Now every trip must include some rest and real holidays.

At one point you need to look back and ask if its worth.
So many trips I worked and did not use the time to have good time with family and kids.
Lately I pushed myself to include holidays and see what I missed.

My story does not include all the misseries....that the wall is on the outside still not done....a 30-40m well only 10m deep and thai mum paid the guys to avoid trouble....gables at the new roof are not done nicely and need to be redone....a reinforcement beam at alfresco area should just be welded in and the guys even spoiled that and now need to be redone...
(photos hopefully next week!)
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:18 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:Yes I see that the Area Bang Saray is changing fast but that is the good thing on an apartment...I will not be special attached and could sell and move as things turn bad.
And if all goes bad I just look out for that shiny white modern build on the other side of the road....hope that guy has his pool finished soon

I think it will be another 3 years before there is filtered water in that pool of mine. Bang Saray is a lovely place for a beach holiday and especially for children. Little traffic, great beach, plenty of parking, many attractions. Prices are still low. As a holiday home it's perfect, but not ideal as a permanent residence.
fredlk

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:07 pm

fredlk wrote:
Maseratimartin wrote:Its been a while since last updates...

It sure has. I was wondering what was happening.
Maseratimartin wrote:I didn't want to come over like a old grumpy german always only complaining

You're not old. :lol:
Maseratimartin wrote:There are days you still imagine how all turns out and what you will all do....and then the days where you ask yourself what are you trying to proof continuing?!

We have all reached that stage. Some have gone beyond. Some reach that stage before even starting their build like someone whose story is on page 76 without even a spade in the ground.
Maseratimartin wrote:The first days of next trip starting tomorrow I will meet up an agent and will 99% buy an apartment in Bang Saray.

Just make sure you're out of earshot of the new Cartoon Network Water Park because I'm sure that 1 million Russians and 1 million Chinese will make a LOT of noise. I'm hoping that the noise won't travel the 5 kilometres to my place. :(

And some of us dont wear extra thick rose tinted glasses :roll:
gliffaes

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:@ Bill:
Living permanent in an apartment is sure not comparable to a nice house with garden ...
It is more for the time I'm still working in HK and just spend the holidays in LOS. It will be for family and if I need to escape from the Thai family :wink:
I was thinking about a smal house but then decided to protect my nerves and just go for an apartment...no work...just come and go.
My daughter starts school this year and this limits us so much more with LOS-trips.
Going back to our home means work...a lot clean up...garden...what makes only trips longer than 1 week worth it.
The apartment will allow us even to jump over for a long weekend and knowing we can use every minute for fun and relax.
You will ask now why I started a house build at all....and the answer is because I never thought that it will turn to such big head ache.
Second it should be a safe home for the family in case ...

@Fred:
Yes I see that the Area Bang Saray is changing fast but that is the good thing on an apartment...I will not be special attached and could sell and move as things turn bad.
And if all goes bad I just look out for that shiny white modern build on the other side of the road....hope that guy has his pool finished soon :lol:

Its just that I will not start another house build in this life.
Some years back I was the guy saying he would never buy a already build house...I want to plan and create it and ensure a higher quality.
Last week I asked my wife if I buy a house somewhere closer to the ocean and then we sell the place in Sakeaw ....she needed some time but finally said no.

Let's see as things proceed. Latest it was all bad and that when you are close to the finish.
Forgotten the days I worked like a maniac and instead of relaxing came back to work exhausted.
Now every trip must include some rest and real holidays.

At one point you need to look back and ask if its worth.
So many trips I worked and did not use the time to have good time with family and kids.
Lately I pushed myself to include holidays and see what I missed.

My story does not include all the misseries....that the wall is on the outside still not done....a 30-40m well only 10m deep and thai mum paid the guys to avoid trouble....gables at the new roof are not done nicely and need to be redone....a reinforcement beam at alfresco area should just be welded in and the guys even spoiled that and now need to be redone...
(photos hopefully next week!)

Mm you should just "roll over" an accept it, fer gawdsssssss sake dont complain :lol:
gliffaes

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm

So so...3,5 weeks LOS over and back at work in HK.
What happened?
The progress was as expected less than planed...more later.
And during the Pattaya fun days at Centara Grand Mirrage I enjoyed the pool and waterpark similar area so much with my family that we bought a condo at "The Maledives" project.
Just a studio condo at the pool beach ground floor facing the huge pool landscape with waterfalls. We will have to wait till Dec.2015 but hey I don't need to do anything... ;)
So my last message that our current build in Sakeaw is sure my last one is sealed...but as I see it it will still take as long as the condo to be ready.

Now to the work progress on the country side....
Soffits of guest house had been done in cement fibre panels and this time all removed as the joints kept cracking even the correct tape was used.
Now its done in mold protected gypsum boards but not finished as the guys smeared so horrible the joints that the sanding needs to be tackled during next trip.
Same inside the guest house...ceiling is up with stay cool isolation on top...took days....I could not look at their job smearing the sh.. out of the joints and kicked the guys out.
After that I bought an electrical sander (next toy from Makita) and did it myself...sanding...nice even coat ...slight sanding....done!
So the success story is that the guest house is inside ready to move in...electric done...walls painted.
Next time we will put in the AC and conect a pump and sleep there.
sanding.jpg

Stupid farang...but if you want it right you gonna have to do it yourself :(
sanding.jpg

kitchenette guest house.JPG

somebody is happy.JPG

lock and fly back to HK.JPG
Still the guest house is also storage

Same progress I hope to report on the thai kitchen/alfresco build....but other than that electric piping is done and water laid ...nothing!

We took the chance of rainy season to plant some further palms and plants so that they can grow in nice.
some gardening plus soffits removed.JPG
Some flowers and all looks not so bad anymore...plus the soffits removed

soffit gypsum elphant head  walkpath and palms.JPG
Soffits fitted with gypsum board, elephant head mounted, the walkpath and palms

Terrasse and some walk path has been finished in concrete.
This task nearly caused me leaving the country side for more beach holidays.
I instructed the guys to use the wheel barrows to move the concrete ...just turned my head a minute and see them releasing like crazy the concrete and trying to scratch it towards the far end...
You can do a lot on a 30cm slab...but not when only 10cm and so following happend:
- Plastik sheet ripped as they released full throttle and the concrete came underneath.
- Additional with only 10cm gravel fast pushed the steel mesh up and you could not push it down anymore.

At that point I nearly got a heart attack and the only reason why I did not beat them all up and throw them from our land was that then a huge problem would not be solved and everything would have to be brocken down....
I asked them to take out the steel meshin that zone...cut the plastic sheet where it went up....then remove concrete down to 5cm....put back the mesh and put fresh concrete over.

The rest was done using the wheel barrow and went smooth like silk....ok the dog from S-mum thought I liked his signature but this will later be covered by sand wash.

More later...
Attachments
painting ceiling.JPG
Maseratimartin

Postby Maseratimartin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 pm

Sorry that some photos get mixed up and in wrong position...

One story I need to add what could have delayed my return to work.
On the last day I was crawling under the sink in the bathroom installing the electric.
As I needed some further tool I went in the living room and shock...a sure 2m long, arm thick snake in the far corner struggeling to find an escape.
In this moment you don't know if to run or what to do.
Sorry that I do not have a photo...no time for that.
Luckily she found the terrasse window open and escaped and I was impressed how fast this beast was.
After that I didn't want to imagine if this snake would have met me playing around in the smal guest house bath room under the sink...ufff.
The snake was complete black and the head seemed to be rather smal compared to the body.

Because of the mosquito issue we put fish in the pond ...frogs were there already...even some crabs my wife reported...and now the snakes come and say thanks for the food.
I have mixed emotions about this incident. At that time my wife and daughter were for some soup and I luckily alone...
So, in future I will have to think about more protection of snakes!

Here a photo of the elephant heads I added to the 2 center columns of the main house...I had to install them before they fly around and brake at the end.
elephants.JPG
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Sounds like a rat snake. Here are some pictures of Thai snakes, even has an Aussie joke thrown in. When building our place had an encounter with a banded krait in our garage, thankfully my rottweiler grabbed it and I was able to kill it.

http://teakdoor.com/view.php?pg=thai_snakes
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story