House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Postby Maseratimartin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:49 pm

The last two weeks we were back in Thailand and started with our project...
Foreword:
- Progress will sure be slow as the major tasks will only be handled when I'm on site or a qualified contractor is doing some jobs like roof, tiles, windows and doors
- We build with local builder...instructed by the landlord (c'est moi)
- The plans we have are the drawings coming from my hand
- Minor changes are possible during the build
- The final project includes a main house (1 floor), a pool or guest house, a Garage and a pool in the center
Overview project complete.JPG

- Walls will be build from ACC blocks 20cm (load bearing) columns only where no wall exists or the wall need some support because of too many windows/doors
- Final roof material is still open
- Windows will be made of 1.5mm aluminum in white
layout main house.JPG

- The first thing what has started and should be done beginning of July is the perimeter wall...I hate when material disapears!
- Second the Garage will be done in the same time...to have a dry storage and construction office... :wink:
- Third we start with the pool/guest house...it should be finished faster and then I can stay directly on site when in Thailand.
- The foundation of the house will start and should be done during our stay in Thailand during July
-Target for this year is to get a roof on the main house, the smal guest house ready same as the Garage.

After talking to several local companies I could not take it anymore to get charged over limit because being a farang. So finally under the leading of my wifes aunt (construction experience) some local workers and my instructions we will handle the build. Yes I know this will bring me many head aches...
Major tasks like windows...tiles...roof construction....pool....will be handled by qualified contractors.
Till our next stay in Thailand (july) the wall, foundation garage with columns and the foundation with columns guest house should be done.
To minimize faults I measured and marked all. Further I let the workers do the columns with cement pipes.
In July then...during I will build up the walls of the smaler buildings...the troup will digg and pour the foundations of the house.

Deal now for labour only:
450 bath for linear meter of perimeter wall...about 180meters to do
10000bath for foundation with 4 cement pipe columns Garage
10000bath for foundation with 4 cement pipe columns Guest house
50000bath for foundation house with all columns necessary...about 38 footings

I saw already that even a start up in Thailand can be a pain in the a..! First order of sand and gravel....6 and 8 qbm....I got a shock as I saw the smal amount they wanted to sell me as 8 qbm...After measuring the loading area of the truck I calculated that he would have to fill sand half meter higher than his boards to load 8qbm...so I came to a cheating of approx. 2.5qbm on an order of 8qbm....good that i still didn't pay all...and to the next shop!

Things have just started...sorry that the progress will be slow and it will always take to my next holidays in Thailand to get new photos...but I hope I can present another interesting build for this and the coming year.

Estimated costs of project are 3Million including the pool....but as I will always look for quality...this may change and getting more.
Maseratimartin

Re: House "Mamiau" close to Sakeaw

Postby Maseratimartin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Sorry....forgot to explain why house "Mamiau"...that is the thai nickname of my daughter and the future owner :wink: !
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:01 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:Things have just started...sorry that the progress will be slow ....

It looks good and I look forward to following your story, no matter how long it takes. I wish you all the best and I hope that it goes according to plan ... and without too many headaches. I have one question. What is the walled-in space between the master bedroom window and the outdoor shower? Is it an atrium?
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:58 pm

fredlk wrote:
Maseratimartin wrote:Things have just started...sorry that the progress will be slow ....

It looks good and I look forward to following your story, no matter how long it takes. I wish you all the best and I hope that it goes according to plan ... and without too many headaches. I have one question. What is the walled-in space between the master bedroom window and the outdoor shower? Is it an atrium?

The space should just function as a build in wardrobe...nothing special.

Some sliding doors with satin or milk glass (i think they call it like this..?!)
Here some pics out of my gallery:
SANY0554.JPG
Digging of perimeter wall footing holes
SANY0583.JPG
Perimeter wall footings through the fruit tree garden
SANY0578.JPG
For me the 20x30cm concrete base is just massive for a later about 1.70m wall of cement blocks...
SANY0565.JPG
Preparing of the rebars for columns perimeter wall
SANY0589.JPG
A perimeter wall covered with thai slate...something like this may happen, but only in the front.
SANY0576.JPG
Some of our local workers and in front the holes for the Garage footings
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Good luck I have a feeling this is going to get good. Since you will be posting prices maybe using the proper Thai term for money here in the land of smiles would be in order. :roll:

And that would be Baht not that thing that holds water that you sit in.

1 Thai baht = 0.032862 U.S. dollars
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:06 am

excelent choice of how to do it i did the same contracted out the windows and ceilings only
everything else was done on day labour but i had a great team of farmers who worked flat out to the best of their abilities and not too many complaints if the skill level was not good another job was given no use putting a square peg in a round hole
I did have an attempt at short changing me with the redimix so after that i deliberatly climbed the ladder to look in the drum strange thing is all i ever found in there was concrete 8)
but the loads did get bigger :mrgreen: phsycology works they thought that by looking i could tell
fact was the load that was short showed instantly as a majour miscalculation on my part so i re measured and was definately a short load
good luck with your build and keep an eye on materials because like an english builder they will leave it till 4-30 and tell you that they have no sand cement ect i used to estimate in the morning what we were going to run out of and order and as delivery was usually same afternoon at 4-30 about the time the forman was explaining what we needed it was quite amusing to watch his face when the wife explained the stuff would be here soon
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby domino » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:32 am

hi martin,
as when i am doing any kind of building here , i always use local people and supervise myself,
as of your footing+ 4 concrete columns of the garage , when here , i would have 2 people doing this and finished in 2 day's , so labor here is 200 bath/day, 2x200x2day=800baht i always buy them food at noon , some drinks and smoke , let use say labor all 1.000 bath ( surely not 10.000) and even if they work a day longer ...,
as of price perimeter wall , i think 450 is ok but also can be done cheaper ( 350-400)
as of your gravel problem , it is all same problem with the small shops , 1M3 is never full, you can not really blame them as they are also victim , because of the big company's ,also cheat them with delivery..., i tried to avoid this by ordering with the concrete supplier , by ordering big truck , when they came they said the amount on the truck was 12M3,as this seemed not true , i went up the truck
measured up all and it was 8.7M3 surely not 12, so i leave the driver phone about this , but they kept saying it is 12 , and if i did not want it ,they would take it back, they really do not care , neither did i , and i did send him back, and ordered again somewhere else , we also had problem with the delivery of the concrete( also not full) before with this company, and now we found small company , where the concrete is to much, but the gravel still not full but better ...TIT
anyway good luck with the build... :wink:
domino

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Domino, the 10000bath are not only for the 4 footings...

- 4 footings 1x1x1m
- surounding concrete beam 20x50cm with 6 rebars
- 1 center concrete beam 20x40cm with 4 rebars
- approx. 15cm concrete slab 6.5x6.5m
- 4 x columns done with concrete pipe
-> Material on me
-> only the concrete for the slab will be ordered as ready mix
-> the filled and more then 1 year rested ground is hard and a pain to digg... they do all digging
-> they do all prep and binding of rebar
-> they do all concrete mixing except the slab
-> they level the ground for pouring the slab

Honesty I didn't calculate a lot...when we discussed about it I just mentioned 10000 for the Garage and same for the guest house...and they agreed!
It does not kill me and I do not need to care about how much time they waste...I like fix costs...especially when I'm not all the time there.

The 450 for the wall are in our case a good price as they also take care some issues like...:
- Leveling of ground...
- Removing of 5 trees with roots
- Only in the front the ground is leveled....towards the back the wall will have drops and this causes more work

The best offer from a company was 1800 with material....I estimate that I will now get it done under 1000...

Our guys already asked for the house foundation....if they could do it as well...
I mentioned 50000 for all the work and again only the slab will be ready mix....just a number out of my stomach...and they agreed.
40 holes 1x1x about 1.5 m deep, all the 20x40 concrete beams, serveral columns... without big calculation...if they can do this during the 3 weeks in July when I'm there...then I'm happy and I hope they too.

This digging and mixing of many cbm of concrete is hard work...
Is it right how I do it or not...???...let me tell it like this:
Sometimes I feel sad about some of the poor guys who get about 30-50 bath for digging a hole and work like cracy to get 5 holes done to support their family...
The aunt of my wife asked me if she can put 5 baggs of cement on my bill and I should deduct it later from her amount...just that she can finish something on her house and get their kids a dry room...(a good sign that she asked and not only took them!)
One guy who removed some plant with ugly needles asked for leather hand gloves what I sure gave to him...the day before he would have to digg two holes to pay only the gloves?!
If I pay a little bit too much...then I think that these people who work now for me deserve it...I will make sure that the guys who deliver proper work on our project get fair paid. Finally we will get our dream house for a price where I could not pay for the land back in Germany.
10000bath...how many times I spend more when going out with friends in Hongkong in a few hours.
Maseratimartin

Postby domino » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:47 pm

hi martin ,
a fair explanation you give here , i only post this as info and any one can make out of this what they want,
when ever i build something here ,i do first market research about price of products and labor , and compare those with prices within thailand , never compare with abroad , it is always cheaper here..
and so you will never know you have a good price....(for comparison , i have local contractor , made me price to build maybe my next home , only work 170.000 baht ,all in ,tiling ,electric ..painting
completely finished...)
but as you say , as long as you are happy...it is your money.... :)
domino

Postby MGV12 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:08 pm

I am with you on this one Maseratimartin ... it's a personal matter and what suits one may not suit another.

You will have read of the experiences of others and made your call in paying what you think is reasonable for them and you ....
.....and it was at your suggestion so there can be no accusations of being 'ripped off' even if something is a little high in another's opinion.

Good luck and sleep easy.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Sunpax » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 pm

and so you will never know you have a good price....(for comparison , i have local contractor , made me price to build maybe my next home , only work 170.000 baht ,all in ,tiling ,electric ..painting completely finished...)

Hello Domino ..170000 bahts for how many m2 ?
Sunpax

Postby geordie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:59 pm

maseratimartin you are in my opinion doing what you think right by the people doing the work
you are giving a bit extra ??? so what ??? keeps them happy and you will find they will do their best for you which is all anyone can do good luck
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:07 am

Maseratimartin wrote:I could not take it anymore to get charged over limit because being a farang. So finally under the leading of my wifes aunt (construction experience) some local workers and my instructions we will handle the build. Yes I know this will bring me many head aches...
Major tasks like windows...tiles...roof construction....pool....will be handled by qualified contractors.

Welcome to the DIY club. I hate being overcharged and almost everyone (80% +) you do business with assuming the falang is loaded with cash pouring out his orifices. Acting as the PM/builder is the only way to go, IMHO. More stress, yes, but also alot of satisfaction when you have it built by you to your own standards.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby domino » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 am

@sunpax
the home is about 130m + outside terrace next to swim and a garage ( not carport) of 9x5M, did not yet make any comparison on this as i still have time,
so here i thought good price ? but no idea yet.. :)
domino

Postby Sunpax » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Sure super price !

For me, they want for 152 m2 work : 380000 bahts ! :(
Sunpax

Next

Return to Your Building Story