Building a Company Building and Ranch Type House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building a Company Building and Ranch Type House

Postby hansbak » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 am

We bought a few rai of land and are planning to build a house here in Chiang mai.

We are thinking to buy this plan from the US:
http://hgtvpro.homeplans.com/x-marks-th ... /114088883

What do you think of this houseplan?

Can Thai builders build it? Will it be approved by the government?

I plan to have a colorbond roof, make the midsection shorter (no quest/study), have an additional outside kitchen and build it in stages.

comments appreciated!

Regards,
Hans
hansbak

Re: Planning to build in Chiang mai: houseplan opinions wanted

Postby sirineou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi hansbak
Nice Design lots of living space , 5,000 sq ft , being a Ranch style would have a large foot print, but if you have a few Rai that should not be a problem.
I have never tried to use Plans from the US to build in Thailand, so anything I have to say is just opinion, but I have build several houses in The US, me being the G.C. and I have a little experience with them.Others in this forum might have am more informed opinion.
I believe that the Government in Thailand would approve them, after they have being reviewed and signed by an engineer in Thailand. But I doubt it that it would be economically feasible to build from these Plans .These Plans are designed to take advantage of Materials and building techniques in the US.
Such as,
I could not see the specks, but I am willing to bet that the construction is stick build. Stick build construction, of the US style is not economically feasible in Thailand, because the material called for in your plans are not easily available in Thailand, as it was, correctly pointed out to me when I first asked the same question in this forum, :) Kiln dried nominal 2x.. pine framing studs are not readily available here, wood is very expensive, and the locals are not familiar with working with them. Also there is a termite problem in Thailand.
You would have to convert the Materials list to one that is compatible with Thailand, not an easy task in my opinion.
The fittings called for (kitchen,Bathroom, electrical, plumbing) would not reflect the realities in Thailand.
Also the plans will be in inches and feet, show them to a Thai and all you will get is a puzeld look. :D I am still trying to get my head around Meters, C.M., M.M. :lol: every time I get a measurement in Meters I have to quicly multiply by 3 to get an approximate, mental picture in Feet.
In short, IMHO you would have to convert the plans to something that is workable in Thailand.

There are many building plans available here in Thailand, some of them provided for free by the Government. But if you cant find what you like, and you have your heart set on that plan, perhaps you can take the pictures floor plan, and your Ideas to an architect , and for about the same cost of purchasing the US plans, Have him draw plans to your spec.
As I said in The beginning this is only an opinion, Others might have better advise,
I am looking forward to hearing more about your building adventure
Chok Dee
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

nothin is impossible
That said read a bit more of the forum on how they construct in Thailand as everything is on a four meter grid
They do not like complicated so allow a colum at changes of direction for walls (corners)
If you wish to exceed the 4mtr room size you will need to evaluate the larger ceiling spans and have trusses desined for the span fortunately it only single story so that is not a biggy
look at materials you wish to use standard concrete blocks or areated autoclaved lightweight concrete blocks
standard concrete block are only a couple of inches thick so leave very exposed colums
superblocks are thicker but still leave exposed colums although if you look at max and bee build he has doubled up on all walls and dry lined with plasterboard so hiding the lot
knaj building a house for 800,000 took an unusual step and leveled the walls inside the house leaving the colums exposed outside
regarding measurement its dificult to visualize in metric instead of inches but its a simple task to convert if you grab a few sheets of graph paper and play you could take your finished design over to thailand and have it drawn properly but try and work out things like bathrooms and toilets if on suite try and place them back to back keeps the plumbing simple
so try and work out drainage runs how you will get rid of waste if too far apart think about a second cess pit think how many sockets telephone points tv points lights you are going to install you will certainly need three phase supply to the house but my suggestion woul be to split the phases and have sub boards distributing different sections of the house so you do not have one mass of cables going back to one central point but three different points it will keep both the install and the cabling / cable cost down
i am told the standard thai drawings are about forty pages but yours is a big house
good luck and hope to see you build it
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby hansbak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:56 am

This is really good advice, thank you! You probably convinced me going to a Thai architect and redesign from the internet info.

When we start building i will upload some pictures to keep you informed.
We are currently in the fence and landfilling phase....filling up 4 rai takes some time.....

Thanks again, Hans
hansbak

Postby otis-a » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

why need u fill all u land just to build house?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Re: Building an American house in Chiang Mai

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:41 pm

<I changed the title of this building story so that it would be more in keeping with its future content.

It changed from:

Planning to build in Chiang mai: houseplan opinions wanted

to:

Building an American house in Chiang Mai

- moderator>
fredlk

Postby kknaj » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:31 pm

Hi Hansbak,

Very nice design. I see it's quite huge! You could get something very similar done in thailand. However Those walls seem to be designed for gypsym walls. You may want to simplify the plan for thai building. Just show a good thai architect that plan with dimensions and he can put it together for you. Should be around 20,000 baht for the plan plus engineer sign off. It cheaper than buying the original plans off that website.

Also The materials would be a bit different such as outside walls being unpainted brick. I've only seen the red brick sold here if that suits your style. Interior fit and finish would also be different in thailand as you dont have the same level of craftsmanship in thailand.

Have a look at the various build here as well as other internet photos and see if you can find compatible ideas to what you want.
kknaj

Postby hansbak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi otis-a,

we bought the land in the rainy season and it was half under water......I would like to have my garden dry also then?

thanks for your comment!

Regards,
Hans
hansbak

Postby hansbak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:55 pm

hi kknaj,

thanks for your suggestions, that was also mentioned earlier about the mateials. I am convinced a Thai architect would select the more available materials he in Thailand.

Yes the plan is pretty big, We have 2 small children and a spacey house would be nice....not necessarily American although i have lived there 2.5 years....

Thanks for you comments...
hansbak

Postby fredlk » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm

hansbak wrote:....not necessarily American

Would you prefer "American-style" or .... ? As long as the topic-title covers the subject at hand. I thought that it was a typically American house you showed us.
fredlk

Postby hansbak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Changing the subject was fine, perhaps: "Building a ranch style house in Chiang mai" is better ?

Thanks for you help,

egards.
Hans
hansbak

Re: Building a ranch style house in Chiang mai

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:43 pm

that a nicer more descriptive header
how long before you break out the tools hans are you in an urgent must sort it situation or is it a case of look into it now do later
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby hansbak » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:56 pm

I am not in a hurry....but it would be nice to have the first part build this year so we can move in and extend it where required and when cash allows it.....

I also started i similar discussion on thai visa at:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446 ... ouse-plan/

where people are very concerned about a water trap: there are 6 roof valleys in the design.

Any opinions here?

Regards,
Hans
hansbak

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:41 pm

hansbak wrote:Any opinions here?

sirineou wrote: .... if you cant find what you like, and you have your heart set on that plan, perhaps you can take the pictures floor plan, and your Ideas to an architect , and for about the same cost of purchasing the US plans, Have him draw plans to your spec.

This is the only advice you should follow. Get a Thai architect who knows about Thai building and ask him what he can do in a similar style.

If you look at what I'm building - http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1698 - then you will see I'm building a non-standard house but built in the Thai way by Thai builders and designed by a Thai architect. So far I am more than happy with my choice. It has been almost trouble-free from the start and should continue in that way until I move in, maybe next month.
fredlk

Postby kknaj » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:03 pm

Not sure what you mean about water valleys? You mean the edge and gap between the roof tiles? My design has 4 of these. The thai building use galvanised metal in between and they cut the tiles to match the valley (some builders straighter than others) You can also prchase these Valley metal sheet from hardware shops. The top brand are prepainted if you desire it.

Rain gutters are also available in both metal or PVC (costs more and requires painting)
kknaj

Next

Return to Your Building Story