Farmhouse On The Cheap

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Farmhouse On The Cheap

Postby wimpy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm

So, it looks like I have committed to buy this 2 rai lamyai orchard in Chiang Mai.

Presently there is this existing structure on the property. It is built with 12 concrete pillars spaced 2 ½ meters apart (three rows of four). I think it may have had a wood second story at one time.

I want to build a small one bedroom one bath farmhouse on the cheap. This would be a weekend retreat. My idea is to knock down the breeze block walls and utilize the existing pillars. I want to build my little house atop the pillars to take advantage of the lovely views. The house would be 5x7 meters, not including a large balcony. The ground floor would have a modest kitchen. For the house I want to use second hand wood siding which I would sheet-rock on the inside, and use tin for the roof. Was thinking of a concrete second story floor that is tiled (or could do wood to keep the weight down).

Do you think these pillars are up to the task? Steel or wood framing for the walls and roof? I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Bearing in mind the budget is tight, and I want a simple agricultural look.

Views from the "house".

Cheers.
wimpy

Re: Farmhouse On The Cheap

Postby gliffaes » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Personally Id demolish and start from scratch, look on the bright side you have electric and a good road + nice views (water tower excepted)
What you cant see is how well the footings have been done etc.
gliffaes

Postby otis-a » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:37 pm

nothn wrong with be n cheap
most here not appreciate true quality so is wasted monies to high roller in most instances
is hard to soar with eagles when u sleep with chickens
shall i say more? No lets look one good side for as piggy said to hen: 'at least u r not breakfast' so chicken lived to squawk another day- what is more desirable?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 pm

If you dig down at one corner of the building to the bottom of footing and check the pad size I would think all the others would be similar.
Also look carefully at existing walls for cracks around existing pillars. After the beating the walls took when door and window frames were removed that should tell you a lot.

If you build just the one floor and put your patio on the second level with a light weight roof on extended posts you would get the view and a cooler house without putting additional weight on the footings.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby wimpy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:28 am

^ That sounds like a plan. One of the locals seemed to think the columns could be easily dug up and moved as necessary. Makes one wonder just what the footings consist of.
wimpy

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:25 pm

So wimpy just how much does 2 rai lamyai orchard with half a farm house in Chiang Mai cost these days.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby wimpy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:14 pm

wimpy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:02 pm

wimpy,
For 150,000 I would be looking at the chanote very carefully.
Roger Ramjet

Postby wimpy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:19 pm

All is in order. Land in this area typically goes for about 100,00 a rai. My land is actually 1.90 rai.
wimpy

Postby kknaj » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:22 am

Thats very cheap for land. Must be in the middle of nowhere?

So your wife is buying the land? or you have a company buying it? Im sure you know farangs cant own land in their own name.

On the house I dont know what to say. You dont have any plan or design in mind? Some pics of your idea or photos of similar?

For me design is an important part before making a house. Even a cheap house can at least look good with a nice roof lines and choice of colours etc.

A tin roof sounds a bit dodgy, does it mean you wont have a gypsym ceiling or insulation?

Will you have Mosquito screens or are you going/gone native?
kknaj

Postby wimpy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:06 am

It is an hour drive from Chiang Mai city. That, plus clean air, nice views, and quiet, were my main criteria for a potential weekend escape property. I really like the location.

Yes, I know the rules about land ownership. This is my third property in Thailand.

I will be posting some drawings soon to get some feedback. I have a pretty good idea of the look I am after. I like the style of many of the older Thai wood houses. Not the classic "Thai Style" house, just the simple wood houses you see in many villages. I also like the old teak doors and shuttered windows found on many of them. I want to incorporate these into the design, But, as i mentioned, I am going to sheet-rock the interior walls, as I find all the wood a bit dark and overpowering. Plus i want to insulate.

When I say "tin roof", I am referring to the metal roofing you see on many homes in Australia, and on industrial buildings here. The ceiling would be sheet-rocked and insulated. I think it would be nicest if the ceiling follows the contour of the roof, if that doesn't add too much to the cost.

I haven't decided about the screens yet. I would prefer to not have them (except maybe on the bedroom). Will probably try it without them, and see how it goes. Much prefer the look without them. I expect to spend most of the time outdoors on the large covered deck anyway.

This is not going to be a full time residence. More like a cabin in the mountains, where I can go play farmer on the weekends.
wimpy

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:05 am

If you have time can you find the place on google maps? The views are great.... Is it on the road to Chiang Rai from CM by any chance?

A wooden cabin in the mountains sounds perfect for that time when I finally crack it.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby wimpy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:07 am

Let's just say it is somewhere between Maejo and Phrao. The last thing I want is people buying up the neighboring land and building big concrete boxes. I like it just the way it is. :wink:

By the way, how did your bamboo fencing work out? I read somewhere that termites really eat that stuff up. Looks good though.
wimpy

Postby sezze » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 pm

Stunning views and for the price you got something spectacular .
Old strong bamboo is not 1st choice for termites in my experience . There are a few bamboo poles at my ground and there are in allready a few years . They do age and have a few bugholes but is still mighty strong ( meaning , the normal big chopping knive just bounces off without any scratches on the bamboo and hammocks are hung on it all the time . On the old familyhome there is a wooden pole rughly 8 by 8 "made from unknown wood but that one is eaten away from bottom to top .
sezze

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:54 pm

i like the baboo fencing. Just replace it every few years- unfortunately could not sell my wife on the idea- her friends house has cement-steel so that what she has to have in front- having met that requirement - chain link or bamboo for the rest
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Next

Return to Your Building Story