90sqm Bungalow quoted build price 1.29m

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: 90sqm Bungalow quoted build price 1.29m

Postby sezze » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:53 pm

So far i seem to have good luck , no family members ripping me off . They even point out at better quality for same price , when possible . Since all the work is done by familymembers or close relatives it is very important . Also , i do roughly know what is needed and not needed , so they might try to pull my leg but i decide if the price is right or not for the job .
Back on topic . You and your wife are in England , and let them build it when you are not there . You might be in for some surprises , since Thais have their own way to reading plans and sticking to it :mrgreen: . How many times a year for how long you are in Thailand to witness the build . When possible , do it like me , meaning big structural things are done as you are there . When you are not there , let them do some smaller non structural stuff . It will take longer to finish but the structural parts are strong and just the way you want them .
Simple calculation prices :
cpac roughly 1500 to 2000 baht per m3 . roof , for that size and staying away from supercheap of superexpensive , roughly 80k . cinderblocks 40x20 4 baht . Cement 120 baht per bag . Electric , connection depending on how far etc , can be from 4000 up . Standard wires boxes from 3500 till 7000 . Wires 1500 per 100m . contacts and switches , double or tripple units 150 baht . Tiles from 100 baht to 300 baht per sqm many many available . Toilets from 1500 but nice ones a bit more , check promotions when possible . Sinks 1000 till 3000 . faucets 1000 .
I guess , you can start to count allready . It would surprise me if you go beyond 4 to 500 k . Workload should be less then 300k absolute max IMHO and 200k is looking more like it .
sezze

Postby pattayapope » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:53 pm

Arran

Take a look at the build in Sisaket looks OK to me for 700 K has 3 bedrooms and 3 toilets nice simple roof design, no carport like yours but you could get something built quite cheaply in same style as the house and the wall should not cost too much maybe 5 to 600 baht a meter for a low wall.
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:03 am

Not all CoolThaiHouse members continue to follow this site once their projects are completed, but there are dozens who can confirm that what you have been quoted is vastly overpriced. Those are the kind of prices a new house this size fetches on a housing estate (housing development), complete, including the land, the contractor's profit, the marketing, and agents profit, and the return on the developer's investment, and built to a shoddy standard that will pass a Thai customer's approval.

This house can be built to a very good specification from as little as Baht 7,000 per m2, or around Baht 800,000 maximum <slight edit per FAQ, Dozer> (and even then, some minor things will still go wrong).
If you were to add another fully equipped bathrom with a second septic tank, and include top quality solid aluminium, tinted glass doors and windows, high quality Granito® (or similar) flooring, CPAC Monier 'Contarzz'® roof tiles, imported electro fittings (switches & sockets) from bTicino®, Häco®, Panasonic®, etc, reflective foil insulation for the roof, and proper Legrand® (or similar) electrical connectors, instead of wires twisted together and bound with tape (standard Thai build), mesh reinforced convex and concave corners in the rendering, and reasonable quality paint (from baht 1,000 pr 19 litre bucket), you'll still be well under the quoted price.

See the photo gallery, especially mine which is a very clear step-by-step documentation, (click the link below) with materials used and their prices, and the construction of Dozer's own house on the blog page. Be very careful of using family members; I know of several instances where a farang finally kicked the family off the job for screwing him on the prices of fill dirt, and working in cohort with a local builders' supplies merchant to inflate the prices on the invoices and share the extra profit.

If you are not able to supervise the work yourself on a daily basis, using the family almost always turns out to be a false economy. Even if they take the job on in good faith, their experience is almost always limited to constructing houses to locally acceptable methods and materials, which would certainly not pass your inspection even if you have no knowledge of the building trade.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Mishark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:08 pm

I am the proud sponsor of the "OK" ;-) house in Sisaket. We are building a 117 sq.m home in my girlfriends village of 80 people. There are no other farang houses around, so I see no need to compete or go for premium building products. That said, I expect to live in this house predominantly and do like to be comfortable. So the house is 3 bedrooms (master 5m x 6m) with 3 bathrooms, 2 air conditioning units, reasonable tiles throughout, wooden windows (because I do not like the joins in aluminium) and the walls the same as thai friends of ours that paid B3.5M for land and house in an outer suburb of Pattaya. All for a cost of B700,000. That said, we are paying an extra B30,000 for a few extras: double shower head (monsoon and massage), floor tile feature and can't remember the rest...

Also, the house is on a 1,000 sq.m section and over time we hope to build a perimiter wall, develop the garden with lap pool, outdoor bar, barbeque/cooking station, and whatever else we want to make the place a small retreat...

Anyway, good luck and hope you manage to find a vastly improved quote for your holiday home... :)
Mishark

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:34 am

agree with other comments on cost-
my build came in under 5500tb/sm (incl of appliance.land.ac/2/.ditched e feed cable.alum top floor windoz.2SQUARE D rcbo eboxes+safesockets+conduited nutted wiring.6kw heaters.large bath tub. western great white throne.dual shower heads.wooden stairs & stairwell.water well & pumped tankage. Kitchen appliances. sat tv. visa & legal fees for 30 yr lease which reverts to american/thai son of wife)
-
family matters
watch mission creep
my build grew in size by 25% over intended size & we need maybe half what is here. but ok- for as ex tex am used to all things big.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:11 am

Part of this conversation has been split to http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2382&start=0.
fredlk

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:08 pm

SEZZE, I have had a bit more time to look into the cost of your house. As I stated before, and based on the price ranges you quite for the fixtures and fittings - standard quality, not luxury), at over 14,000 baht per square meter, you are being blatantly ripped off. Plenty of true professionals will give you an honest quote for reasonable quality for around 7,000 - 8,000 per m2, including two fully equipped bathrooms.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby sezze » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:35 am

:idea: Hmm , not my pricequote . I guess you mistake with the original poster . My house in the 1 near Udon with a price of round 400k , possible up to 500 with all the extras . That's nowhere near the 13 to 14 per sqm at less then 6000 per sqm .
The original poster , sorry , forgot the name :oops: was quoted with the 14k per sqm at 1.29 million .
sezze

Postby otis-a » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:22 am

hi seeze
good that u posted anyway
at least people know jazzman & i r not wako when say a decent build is possible for under 6ktb/sm!
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Sunpax » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:09 am

Can I ask you Otis and Seeze how much you pay for work on the (around) 5000 baths m2 ? or for the entire house ?

i like to go on the way to pay only work and buy materiel myself ...

Did you have a team to do everything or team for concrete and team for roof ....and so like this ?
Sunpax

Postby jazzman » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 am

sezze wrote::idea: Hmm , not my pricequote . I guess you mistake with the original poster . My house in the 1 near Udon with a price of round 400k , possible up to 500 with all the extras . That's nowhere near the 13 to 14 per sqm at less then 6000 per sqm .
The original poster , sorry , forgot the name :oops: was quoted with the 14k per sqm at 1.29 million .

Yes, sorry, it was arranp. However, when I first looked, the house plan had not loaded, so I thought he was being quoted 14k baht/m2 for 90 m2. It now appears that the covered area is nearer 140 m2 because a third of the house is a covered carport and a patio that count almost the same as interior surface. The roof and the foundations are the most expensive parts of a house. I still reckon he can get the whole thing built for less than 980,000 unless of course he wants Italian marble on the floor, and solid gold taps in the bathroom.

The labour bill on arranp's house should not be more than about 270,000 or about 2,000 - 12,500 per m2. We had one member here who built an almost identical house two years ago for around 750,000 but I can't remember who it was.
jazzman

Postby arranp » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Hello,

I have a competitive estimate from <Dozer removed query about specific company per FAQ> , I have no prior experience to speak of with this company, a few googles seem to report they are a reasonable outfit?

Due to my wife and I living in the UK, and having a limited time to do the build as, we are replacing a house my wifes sister lives in, I think I have few choices available other than to go with a turn-key solution due to me and my wife being remote to the build locaiton.

Arran
arranp

Postby sezze » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

Sunpax wrote:Can I ask you Otis and Seeze how much you pay for work on the (around) 5000 baths m2 ? or for the entire house ?

i like to go on the way to pay only work and buy materiel myself ...

Did you have a team to do everything or team for concrete and team for roof ....and so like this ?

I go with the familymembers . Roof is done by builders from the village and since he lives very close , he supervisions all the structural work ( how to get things straight etc ) . For the moment , total of workbill is not exceeding 50 k and when it is finished it will probably be less then 100k . If i have to pay for every builder it would never exceed the 250k mark . Keep the design simpel ( as for everything in Thailand , simpel is good ) so local builders and familymembers can do a lot of the normal work . Most Thai families have relatives working in construction and are willing to have a job . If not or the familymembers are ripping you off , there are plenty of other builders around who will do the job at normal rates . Try to imagine how many workload it takes , and what would be a fair deal . Wages in Thailand are very low and 100k brings you very far allready ( 1 person 1 day is 250 to 300 baht , 5 persons 1 month working is roughly 40k ) .
sezze

Postby arranp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi, the roof area including overhang is approx 16.8m x 12.2m, using CPAC tiles if costing between 1500-2000 m3, how can the cost be calculated ? including the steel trusses.

Regards
Arran.
Attachments
roof.JPG
arranp

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:24 pm

First, there are no cubic measure for roof tiles. You need to think in two dimensions. To get square metres, you multiply the length by the width of an area. Standard CPAC tiles are 11 pieces to a square metre and the standard ranges cost from about 10 to 15 baht each, so that's nothing like your baht 1,500 per square metre. Your roof is straightforward. Use triangles from the plans you have to calculate the total area. The same way, you will calculate the length of the steel rafters, purlins, and queen posts. then you can work out the quantity and the cost. A professional builder will calculate all this for you, but you will need to develop good relations with suppliers and service providers if you want free information.
jazzman

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story