House Build Pathum Thani

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

House Build Pathum Thani

Postby dbp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:26 pm

Maybe a bit premature, but the introduce thread is getting a bit long.

We have a few Rai of Land on riverbank (chao Phraya) just north of Pathum Thani this is my wifes land and has been in her family for many years infact her late Grandfather was born here and there old teak house is still on the site.

Here is google earth picture of the land, to the right hand side is a boat factory my wife owns this land and rents it to them on a one year renewable lease, I mention this as we can control their actions to an extent with noise and docking large boats too near to us 8)

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/di ... 173&pos=20

The land is filled and ready to build on, we seem to agree at last on a house simular to this design http://www.kalessan.com/KohSamui.php we will present this to a few architects and make a few tweaks, this design was for a hillside overlooking sea in samui, so our plan is to incorporate maid and storage rooms at the rear where hillside would of been.

Here is land looking toward river http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/di ... =173&pos=1
And here looking from river toward land http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/di ... =173&pos=4

Cant seem to upload pictures from my album to the thread :? just get this message The extension php_album=173&pos=7 is not allowed.
The upload was rejected because the uploaded file was identified as a possible attack vector.

And one more looking away from river toward road http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/di ... =173&pos=7

Some background on myself: I am 43 from UK and have some building background as my family used to build Petrol Stations in UK, I am now semi retired and want to get involved in the build to keep my brain active :) also if this build goes to plan we are toying with the idea of building a few simular houses on some otherRiver land about one kilometer away in the future, maybe for Rental to tourists who would like to spend a week or so away from it all on the river bank.
dbp

Re: House Build Pathum Thani

Postby fredlk » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:15 pm

dbp wrote:Cant seem to upload pictures from my album to the thread

Copy the photo from the Gallery onto your desktop and from your desktop upload that photo as an attachment. That will work.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm

dbp,
If you build it there, you could call it the Pepsi House or Coke House or even Cola House, then charge both companies additional rental on the land and just think of the great revenue spinner it would be if you put in a live feed to UBC/True Visions. The add campaign would be; "Sick of watching the Panda Channel and nothing happening, watch the Cola House and fizz pop and burp your way through a dull afternoon". Ah the possibilities too with converted rice barges to house boats for the rich and idle, the theme could be something along the line of "Never worry about floods on the CP, float above it all on our house boats". Gees I was wasted in the army, I should have gone into marketing or advertising. Sorry.
I'm actually ecstatic you started this thread, casting my mind back to all the detractors and cynics at the start of your introduction and all the problems you had actually posting then. I would have called this build thread Pathum Thani Mansion, or Mor Lan Mansion or even Monster Mansion. I'm sure you get the drift. I'd even use one of the smilies, except I hate them.
On a more relevant note, what are you going to start with? I noted earlier you said you would build a flood wall. I take it the house and land and more importantly the swimming pool will be above flood level.
As nobody here has ever built a flood wall, especially for such a monster as the CP, that alone, will be another first for this forum. The shear research alone will be astounding on tides and flood peaks. I'm also interested in where the authorities deem a river ends and lands starts. This will be an interesting build. I wish you luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby dbp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:46 pm

fredlk wrote:
dbp wrote:Cant seem to upload pictures from my album to the thread

Copy the photo from the Gallery onto your desktop and from your desktop upload that photo as an attachment. That will work.

Thanks will try it out
dbp

Postby dbp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:14 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:dbp,
If you build it there, you could call it the Pepsi House or Coke House or even Cola House, then charge both companies additional rental on the land and just think of the great revenue spinner it would be if you put in a live feed to UBC/True Visions. The add campaign would be; "Sick of watching the Panda Channel and nothing happening, watch the Cola House and fizz pop and burp your way through a dull afternoon". Ah the possibilities too with converted rice barges to house boats for the rich and idle, the theme could be something along the line of "Never worry about floods on the CP, float above it all on our house boats". Gees I was wasted in the army, I should have gone into marketing or advertising. Sorry.
I'm actually ecstatic you started this thread, casting my mind back to all the detractors and cynics at the start of your introduction and all the problems you had actually posting then. I would have called this build thread Pathum Thani Mansion, or Mor Lan Mansion or even Monster Mansion. I'm sure you get the drift. I'd even use one of the smilies, except I hate them.
On a more relevant note, what are you going to start with? I noted earlier you said you would build a flood wall. I take it the house and land and more importantly the swimming pool will be above flood level.
As nobody here has ever built a flood wall, especially for such a monster as the CP, that alone, will be another first for this forum. The shear research alone will be astounding on tides and flood peaks. I'm also interested in where the authorities deem a river ends and lands starts. This will be an interesting build. I wish you luck.

LOL Roger like your sense of humour :D As to the Cola Big boys I have alot of work to do with them, Coca cola are desperate to buy the 10 rai on river next to the pepsi can so they can barge their fizzy beverage into bkk, I am very tempted to Auction the 42 rai off (including the 13 rai pepsi rent) I am sure I can get them into a bidding war, the 198.7m they offered was there offer, we are at the stage of just listening. Good to know your enemy lol. Last sunday I followed the Pepsi barge into BKK to see exactly where they unload it, was right smack in the middle of Silom here is picture, the crane is for off loading the barges

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/upload.php So we need to get the sale of this land right with me saying the price not them.

Anyway Back to the build & the retaining wall, The Land was at least 1.5 metres above this years high flood level so no worrys there the picture was taken looking onto land from river (which was still very high), but to get a nice straight edge and to stop erosion etc, I think its a good idea especially as it will be our home and maybe a boat mooring in the future aswell, would like to think we could nick abit of river with a brown envelope dropped in the right hands too.
Attachments
normal_168794_10150120318231579_581311578_7751913_5900679_n.jpg
normal_168794_10150120318231579_581311578_7751913_5900679_n.jpg (17.84 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Last edited by dbp on Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbp

Postby dbp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Sorry wrong link here is pepsi unloading plant silom (Thanks Fred)
Attachments
normal_166423_10150092140487899_566532898_6102432_629013_n.jpg
normal_166423_10150092140487899_566532898_6102432_629013_n.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
dbp

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:47 pm

dpb,
I can just see the protracted war between Pepsi (the pretender) and Coke (the real deal). Perhaps you could rent to both? Then they could fire aerated cans at each other every time they are in conflict. Of course it would be a turf war with Coke putting up a larger slurpy drink container than Pepsi, but the whole time you could sit back in the middle of your build and claim damages from both. I recommend getting a politician's lawyer for that and think of the disruptions to your build and the claims from cool Thai house members as well for the mental anguish every time the build is halted due to the turf war. This could really escalate into something big. Of course there is always the factor that they get so angry that both walk away and leave you high and dry. Something to mull over that one. But also remember that you get the land back after the lease expires or just continue being rich on the leases. Ah the horns of a dilemma. If you build a barge dock, think rental fee too, to both!
The brown envelope, in this case might not be a good idea, especially with the new property taxes being on the agenda. Instead of being slugged for say 200 rai it may go right out to 300 rai, or pull down the wall and some of the house. Definitely food for thought that one.
I like the photo of the new design. It looks far more imposing than the Moroccan one you posted earlier and far more practical with the views.
Roger Ramjet

Postby dbp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:50 pm

The type of Design we like is showing 642m covered area and 458m Total 1100sq m, so would I be correct in a guesstimate build cost of 15,000bht x 1100 16.5 million baht or is that just for covered area?

642 x 15,000 = 9.63m bht what would you think for the outside area's ????
Attachments
6B-3D-Profile-Bird.jpg
6B-3D-Profile-Bird.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
dbp

Postby dbp » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:09 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:dpb,
I can just see the protracted war between Pepsi (the pretender) and Coke (the real deal). Perhaps you could rent to both? Then they could fire aerated cans at each other every time they are in conflict. Of course it would be a turf war with Coke putting up a larger slurpy drink container than Pepsi, but the whole time you could sit back in the middle of your build and claim damages from both. I recommend getting a politician's lawyer for that and think of the disruptions to your build and the claims from cool Thai house members as well for the mental anguish every time the build is halted due to the turf war. This could really escalate into something big. Of course there is always the factor that they get so angry that both walk away and leave you high and dry. Something to mull over that one. But also remember that you get the land back after the lease expires or just continue being rich on the leases. Ah the horns of a dilemma. If you build a barge dock, think rental fee too, to both!
The brown envelope, in this case might not be a good idea, especially with the new property taxes being on the agenda. Instead of being slugged for say 200 rai it may go right out to 300 rai, or pull down the wall and some of the house. Definitely food for thought that one.
I like the photo of the new design. It looks far more imposing than the Moroccan one you posted earlier and far more practical with the views.

Yes Roger you have a valid point with regard to pissing them off, thats probably why the auction would be fair, set a reserve at their offer price then its upto them so to speak. I will probably get CB Richard Ellis and frank Knight to take a look to see how they value the Factory land.

Coke only wish to buy where Pepsi are willing to rent or buy, but want a 25+ year lease, but I would prefer to take the money and run

Sorry if there is confusion the Pepsi coke land is 42 rai and 26 futher on down the river (resort land) the house build land is 72 rai including boat factory and land opposite, but we feel that 10 rai is more than enough for our house small holding, so will be building a wall to separate it off. the other lands are dotted about pathum area but not on river .
dbp

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:36 pm

dbp,
I have never, ever, been able to figure out how to calculate a house build in sq mts because each and every one depends on the materials used, the "profit factor" from the builder, the soil fill, the piles/ foundations and a whole lot of other stuff I have just ignored. I've seen so many guessimates here that the mind boggles, but I do know I would be looking very very closely at who the builder was and previous builds he has done, what he drives and the size of his office, also, perhaps references from previous builds. When you spent that sort of money (16.5 million) or ($500,000++) you should expect top quality in everything, not an Issan build or a corner cut build. The problem will be in inflated prices. E.G. Looking at the size of the pool I'd say it would cost perhaps 1 million, if you base the whole build on that, you should get a fair idea of where the rip-offs might occur. Once I found out my indoor pool would cost just over 300,000 and went and priced things like superblock, I had a fair idea what was going to be the eventual cost and where the finances would go. Max, on his build thread, has an excellent graph that shows where the money goes, or should go.
With the massive amounts of money involved with the two firms, I would go and get professional advise from both companies you mentioned and thinking of the future and possibly children I would lease, not sell, but that is your and your wife's headache. Just think, could you spend nearly 200 million Baht in 25 years and you might have your answer.
The house does look imposing, however, as you are near the CP I would demand fly screens. Many a night at Buddies Restaurant has been nearly ruined with plagues of mosquitoes.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kknaj » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:56 pm

The house design looks awesome. Perfect for beach or river views. Looks like the house is designed for slopping land, i,e the front door is on the upper floor.

How much is the house selling for from the site you found the design?

The sq meters amount doesnt look correct. It looks like around 300m2 house areas. The landscaping should be separate. The sala should be cheaper than the house itself so should be about half price per meter sq.

Every part of the design looks like top quality and unusual build materials such as those huge wood looking windows. You could do it with black aluminum too. Would keep the modern style but much easier to install and maintain.

My estimate would be around 10-15 mil baht depending on material and quality. Could go up to 20 mil.

Its similar to my future house idea in style but bigger.

Look forward to this story.
kknaj

Postby dbp » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 am

kknaj wrote:The house design looks awesome. Perfect for beach or river views. Looks like the house is designed for slopping land, i,e the front door is on the upper floor.

How much is the house selling for from the site you found the design?

The sq meters amount doesnt look correct. It looks like around 300m2 house areas. The landscaping should be separate. The sala should be cheaper than the house itself so should be about half price per meter sq.

Every part of the design looks like top quality and unusual build materials such as those huge wood looking windows. You could do it with black aluminum too. Would keep the modern style but much easier to install and maintain.

My estimate would be around 10-15 mil baht depending on material and quality. Could go up to 20 mil.

Its similar to my future house idea in style but bigger.

Look forward to this story.

I can only find one reference to price on net and that is 9m for land, so I have sent them an email

Yes I agree with the replace wood with aluminium, can you get the wood effect UPVC here in thailand?

The house design is for hillside so is on four levels, I am thinking the pool level could move up to next level, and the two beds on lowest level changed to stand alone small apartments on each side of pool ,as we have 70m width on plot... if that makes sense.

Seems that the scale is 4:1 on internet plan which would make it 600+ sq m
dbp

Postby dbp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:56 pm

Just had reply to my email regarding price of 6 bed villa in Samui!!!!

"Dear David,

The price for this villa 6 bedrooms is located between 65 and 80 million bahts depending on the degree of finish required

Best regards"

:shock:
dbp

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:35 pm

dbp,
Anyone who could charge between 65 and 80 million for a 6 bedroom house/villa is a thief. I suppose for 65 million you get the Issan build out of red bricks, with all the wiring exposed and the plumbing across the floor and showing everywhere else. They use single superblock for the highest price and bury the electrical and plumbing. No wonder this forum has so many members. And no wonder most of the members are disillusioned and angry about costs. Six bedroom house for 2 million dollars on land you own, I bet they don't even charge that in Hollywood.
Roger Ramjet

Postby kknaj » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:31 pm

"dbp wrote:Just had reply to my email regarding price of 6 bed villa in Samui!!!!

"Dear David,

The price for this villa 6 bedrooms is located between 65 and 80 million bahts depending on the degree of finish required

Best regards"

:shock:

"Mai Tuuk" Not cheap, lol

Thanks for getting the price. Im sure you will be able to do just as good or better for the 15 - 20 mil baht range. Im going to Koh Samui soon so might drop by there and "inspect" the place. I might have to rent a mercedes instead of a motorcycle so they will let me in :O

I like looking at these places and then working out how to do the same or better for a fraction of the price.

Have you seen the real thing yet? Might be worth having a good look around first to give you a better idea of what to look out for.
kknaj

Return to Your Building Story