My Holiday home Nakhonsithammarat.....Sitastic

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

My Holiday home Nakhonsithammarat.....Sitastic

Postby sitastic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi to all again, well my holiday home project is almost complete, apart from a little painting and planting to do, I have to say throughout all the problems we had, I can honestly say I would do it again! But better and more experienced!
So I guess you all are wondering, did I do it in my budget?
Yes I did!
Even after all the little extra expenses that occurred, my total budget that I didn’t want to exceed was 800,000 Baht. Some people didn’t think I would do it for less than a million, the house works out at 100.5 square meters, and yes that’s small but plenty for what it is.
And that’s even after my wife going mad and choosing granite work tops, teak cabinet’s doors, luxury tiles etc.

We even managed to get outdoor lighting ant protection and an extra over kill on the base construction if we ever wanted to modify it later on.

Now I don’t want to bore you will every little story, if you have any questions I will be glad to answer, one question that has been asked.

The company I used to build the teak house how did they do?

I used Thailannahome.com.
I am 100% pleased in using there service, it was so much easier, and cheaper for me to have everything organised and included in one payment.

What I didn’t like was, carpenters are great carpenters, they done an excellent job, but they are no good at tiling etc, I would have got a better job done if these guys just stuck to their main profession.

But they fixed things to my standard with no problems when I pointed out, but at times I feel I should have been a little harder on the things I can pick out now, but I went soft on them due to how far away they were from home and the conditions they had to sleep and work in due to the bad rainy season we had! So Tuff my fault!

And another was what they said on the website about how they go about things, I expected the house to come in part sections then fit together, no it was all from the back of a lorry, not one piece fitted on the shop floor, and they didn’t even bring enough wood for the job, so little things were what I call bodged with odd pieces rather than a full length of wood that would of looked better. And the quality of the wood wasn’t 100% but ok, I had to double check on structural parts of the build. Suppose thats what you get for re-claimed teak, but the cleaned it up real good!
So out of 10, I would give them a 8, since what I had to mind was nothing as good as what it turned out like.

Yes we did have a problem with something on the drawings,Architect mistake that nearly cost alot more, but after a little of exsplaining, they amended to the contract without any fuss, and the supervisor was great, he also helped me out with the bottom part of the house that was totally only all to do with me!

So if anyone is interested in building a teak home with ease they get the thumbs up! Just make sure you speak up if you’re not happy with something.

So the downstairs we got locals to build.

We were let down and ripped off a on the start of the downstairs kitchen part of the house, so we stopped work and changed workers, now I think I was lucky with these new guys, they all done a great job even though they were Jack of all trades master of none!

The labour was cheap, and they saved us on a lot of money by putting us in contact with friends, etc for glass doors, roofing etc, ok they wasted a lot of tiles and were messy just like all Thai builders but the overall finish was well under what I had priced up for, So me and the misses are happy on top of that I got my emergency water supply, mosquito nets all around and a power shower, and connection to the mains all in and still had change!

So check out the pics and happy building! 1. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2067099&id=1303065938
2. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2092500&id=1303065938
3. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2097218&id=1303065938
4. http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2101679&id=1303065938

I am off to enjoy my new home! Thanks again to all interested! I will back online to answer any questions within a month or so....
sitastic

Re: My Holiday home Nakhonsithammarat.....Sitastic

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:00 pm

looking at their web site is hard to see how to get 100sm for 800k tb
from the site the costs for 5 models average to about 2mm tb for 100sm
did you get a dealer discount?
sm k-tb tb/sm
30 510 17000
24 476 19833
84 1600 19048
126 2520 20000
117 2340 20000
average 19176
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:47 pm

I dont have facebook, so I cannot enjoy your pictures, what a shame.... :(

I agree with otis-a - they advertise 83.5 m2 (900 feet2) for 1,670,000 baht, the only one close to 800,000 baht is Model Busaya, 46 m2(490 feet2) at 860,000 baht.

facebook.jpg
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby otis-a » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:13 pm

used my facebk acct to check link
but were no house pics avail :-(

innovative of sy to raise floor & use under open area

this double of area?? if u wizh brings cost to 10k tb/sm
if no xtra for teak legs or use the prefab columns
as used on many thai builds
but 10k/sm ?
still seems steep cost, but hey, it is teak
otis-a

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:25 pm

otis-a wrote:still seems steep cost, but hey, it is teak
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby sezze » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:57 am

Shame i cannot see the house ... no facebook . I did look at the Thailanna site which seem very nice houses ... not cheap but it's teak ( i've seen more expensive sites with teak houses ) .
Most people on other Thai sites say you cannot build a decent house for under 1.5 million , while this here is another exemple that it is possible ... even with some luxury items .
sezze

Postby pattayapope » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 pm

I checked out the build pictures and you have a nice little holiday home, for all CTH members it would be good if you could post some pictures in the gallery as what you have done maybe a good inspiration to others who want to build a cheap (ish) place with a bit of character and style.
pattayapope

Postby sitastic » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Hey Thanks for the replys so far...sorry for those who cannot see on facebook, my high def pictures wont upload for some reason here even if I reduce the size? My CAT modem times out, why, I used facebook, if there is a way thats easy please pm me? I would love to get the pictures on here, but when I have more time I will try again, I would also just like to remind you that only the top half of the house was built by Thailanna, designed by me close to the original Lanna model featured on the website and raised on a base of which pre-formed posts were used, they gave me a great price at 562,000 Baht, and local workers built the bottom kitchen area of the house at 30,000 Baht labour of which I chipped in with a little work when I could, I paid for all the materials, the area of the house upstairs is 37.5sm 5x7.5 and the kitchen, dining area and open plan walk and wash area is 63sm 9x7, the land was inherited by my wife, but this is about the build...So thats why I am really pleased, I didnt think I would get....

A house that is double panellled teak wood, eco toilet, mains connected, built in gas burn tempered glass burner, power shower, modern kitchen/ diner, teak cuboards, granite work surface and floor tiles, glass aluminium doors and all the many other extras, like upstairs and downstairs western electrics, and all the many other effects, for less than 800thou Baht all in, I was very supprised I did it within budget myself, but then again I did spend a long time price checking and what I paid more on one thing I saved on another!
sitastic

Postby otis-a » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:07 pm

hi Si
ask u moderator to resize
the site requires it to minimize server space
Alt1
use a screen shot or screen snapper program: these typically give file size ok for up load
that failing:
alt2
use print srreen -typ shift prtscrn -if windoz this puts the screen pic - warts an all to u clip board
open word or excell doc & hit paste : ctl V & presto warts and all
-
the screen snappers give a jpeg of just your pic area instead of the whole screen
-
lookn 4wrd2c upics!
otis-a

Postby Mishark » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Why not just use Microsoft Paint?

Already installed on your computer and you can easily resize... (Ctrl+W)
(And also, select just the area you want)
Mishark

Postby sirineou » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Mishark wrote:Why not just use Microsoft Paint?

Already installed on your computer and you can easily resize... (Ctrl+W)
(And also, select just the area you want)

WOW Mishark
Some times the obvious eludes you,I did not know that you could do that in MS Paint, I use all these complicated difficult to use programs.

Thanks for the tip.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 am

here i go with a complicated method that works :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: it has took me two years but its proof even an idiot can learn
select the photos that you want to post on my photos at the side it asks what you want to do
so i tell it i want to e mail the pictur/s
then it comes up with a choice do you want the e mail program to reduce the pictures
again its a yes
repeat this several times and then attempt to send the pictures as an e mail this will fail
because you have not the correct email acount so then click on the e mail photos and save to desktop now they are reduced and all lined up ready for the attachment facility on the forum
Easy ??? NO but it works for me :roll: :roll: :roll: and if i go wrong with ataching the photo,s are easy to find on desktop :idea: :idea: :idea:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby kknaj » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:14 am

If you have a program such as Adobe photoshop you open the pics in the program. Go to the image menu, select re-size picture and then type in the size you want. Then you save the file in "Save as" to whatever you want.

This way you have more control over the exact size so you have the optimum size for whatever you want to do. Makes uploading photos to here or face book or flikr etc easier and faster.

Most of us never use more than 1MB or 1 megpixels for internet use so why we need 12 megapixel cameras? lol. Way back nearly 10 years ago the latest tech on a $3000 camera they had 5 megapixels and a 5mb size file. I turned that image into a A1 promotional poster no problem. How many people need to do that with there regular pics?

So my tip to anyone having such issues is change your camera settings to the minimum or second minimum file size to save you having to reduce your pictures so much.
kknaj

Postby mikecwm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:43 pm

"the top half of the house was built by Thailanna."

Hi Si.
Presumably you are still in touch with thailanna.
Can you put their current email address in here please. Their phone number would help as well.
I'm trying to contact them and they seem to have gone underground.

We will be going to Thailand next Christmas and will try and see some of their work then - before we decide if we want them to build for us. I certainly like the look of the houses on their website.

Thanks - and hope your new house gives you many years of pleasure. Sure looks better than concrete.
mikecwm

Return to Your Building Story