House Building, Sisaket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Sisaket: Happenings...

Postby fredlk » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 pm

Mishark wrote:We had some fun with this insect last night. Made different noises in response to light and hand movement. Afterwards, we ate it deep fried

You have integrated well. I am always amazed and horrified at how Thai can buy live shrimp, maybe play with them in a bowl and then murder them soon after for Somtam.
fredlk

Re: House Building, Sisaket

Postby geordie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:33 pm

I am afraid my gag reflex would end sutch a meal swiftly
I have eaten a few meals where i thought it better not to ask questions
On the other hand i was a willing victim to snake although i did not like it i was an unwilling victim of rat and the builders who were feeding it to me thought it was hilarious i only realized when i found a bone that was definately not chicken so after a toilet visit confirming with the wife that mil had donated two large rats too the builders my fault i bought them and at the same time a carrier bag full of frog she preffered the frog and donated the rats which were duly cooked along with the daily beer snack after work of a couple of very small chickens
I as usual bought the beers and would sit down with them in the garden have a beer and snack on chicken :?: :?: left with the dillema that it was rat and now they had one over on me
i returned from my toilet visit and indicated i wanted a snack this time he gave me what looked like chicken so i complained and asked was there more rat left as it was nicer it worked they all fell about laughing and the foreman went a bit disgrutled as it was his prank that had backfired so farrang had the last laugh :lol:
FREDIC at the end of the build i bought a pig (live) took it to the house washed it fed it watered it and next evening it was spit roasted the neighbour took care of the in between so although i missed the actual killing i witnessed everything else but unless you have a strong stomach stay well away from the slaughtering it,s messy to say the least but in my teens i spent a couple of years on a farm and accept i love my mutts to bits and will do anything to protect and care for them at the same time i would hapilly raise a pig a sheep a cow a chicken giving them a similar standard of care and then eat them as that is the purpose i had them for
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mishark » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Great value isn't it - you buy your food, alive - make it a pet and play with it for a while, then get bored and eat it! And when you have little or no money, almost everything is food! Ummm, hopefully not including deep fried farang! :shock:

So Geordie, if you didn't know what it was that you are eating, it would be fine? I guess enjoyment of a meal is not just the taste, but the smell of it cooking and the thought that the steak you are now enjoying was once a happy cow chewing on grass in a big field under blue skies and a yellow sun? :wink:

As promised, a photo of the motorbike with side cart (from the refuse centre) attached. Apparently it cost B600 but there were old bottles and bike rims which were part traded. Not sure exactly because I did not pay for it, directly:
Motorbike Cart.JPG
Motorbike Cart.JPG (46.01 KiB) Viewed 719 times

And another photo of the thatching going on:
Shop being thatched.JPG
Shop being thatched.JPG (44.74 KiB) Viewed 719 times

And a pile of pre-thatching:
Thatching.JPG
Thatching.JPG (44.05 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Mishark

Postby Mishark » Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Life goes on at a nice leisurely pace. Girlfriend and children have started running the shop, photos next time. I have been out with the girlfriend catching frogs and crabs. A few parties and went to visit the farang in the next village, I thought the girlfriend and I would go, ended up being 7 people... (And then he wasn't even there! Got a mobile number now)

Oh, and last night I went into the kitchen area (hard to call it a kitchen in its unfinished state) and found this little creature. I was quite scared not knowing how fast it could move. Thankfully the girlfriends mother was there (girlfriend out catching frogs) killed it by hitting it with a shoe (quickly dispatched):

Scorpion.JPG
Scorpion.JPG (31.36 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Oh, and it has rained a few more times, though that didn't seem to affect when the wall was built. However, it has now been started. Wall is 75m long and cost: B25,000 material and B15,000 labour (Total: B40,000) giving B533/meter.

Fence1.JPG
Fence1.JPG (56.26 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Fence2.JPG
Fence2.JPG (54.66 KiB) Viewed 681 times

Fence3.JPG
Fence3.JPG (61.33 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Mishark

Postby tothemark » Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 am

Hi Mishark,
Thats a cracking price on the wall, I got quoted 1600bht per meter and declined it. Can you breakdown your costs at all as it would be a great help to understand those figures.
tothemark

Postby Mishark » Fri May 06, 2011 9:08 am

The labour price is fixed. However the materials they tend to buy some extras as they go along. Girlfriends expects total cost will be closer to B50,000 (B666/meter). Not too sure about individual costs, except the following:

Concrete mix = B115/bag
Concrete support posts (2m) = B270 each
Sand = B1,600 per cubic meter
Stones = no idea
Bricks = no idea

I probably shouldn't even quote costs - but I do try my best... :)

I think Trey may have got an even better deal:
Wall around 1 rai for a total cost of B100,000 - details at:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/view ... &start=105

Apparently some work on the main house will happen next week - not holding my breath!
Mishark

Sisaket: Wall, wrong or right side...

Postby Mishark » Mon May 09, 2011 5:41 pm

I must pay attention to detail...

Yes, I must! They have almost finished building the wall, but unfortunately, at the moment I am feeling like they have built it with the ugly side towards us. I thought a wall, was a wall, flat on both sides, but it appears not... (And yes, I was not paying attention)

FrontWall1.JPG
FrontWall1.JPG (45.95 KiB) Viewed 617 times

FrontWall2.JPG
FrontWall2.JPG (38.79 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Now looking at options of how to fix it or pictures on the internet to show I can live with it. As we live in a village, I should not care and should just leave it, which will be the likely outcome...

:|

Wall_Side1.JPG

Wall_Side2.JPG
Wall_Side2.JPG (48.71 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Mishark

Postby MGV12 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Mishark wrote:Sand = B1,600 per cubic meter

I do hope you mean per truckload ... just paid that for 5 cube delivered.

When they render the wall ... assuming that's what will happen ... you can avoid the ghost of the block lines by leaving a few days [preferably a week] between coats; as posted by dozer some time back.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mishark » Mon May 09, 2011 6:31 pm

After looking at the photos again, I am starting to prefer it with the support posts showing - breaks up an otherwise long and boring wall! THIS is my problem with building, a lot of the time I have no idea what I like or prefer.... Argh!!!! :? :wink:

MGV: Umm, quite possibly... (the girlfriend deals with most of the details)
Last edited by Mishark on Mon May 09, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mishark

Postby fredlk » Mon May 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Mishark wrote:THIS is my problem with building, a lot of the time I have no idea what I like or prefer.... Argh!!!! :? :wink:

Would you rather be like me? I doubt it. It's not easy being me thinking I know exactly what I want and then not finding it available. I wish I could be as casual as you.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

you may find the wall will stay put a lot longer with render on it those blocks are weak as hell without it max,s shoulder test would kill them every time
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mishark » Mon May 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Yup, render still to come... (Thanks Geordie and MGV)

Hmmm, maybe almost finished was a bit optimistic?! I have no idea how long these things are supposed to take, but yes, the whole length of the wall will be rendered - and i assume both sides...

Yeah, Fred, I guess better not to want anything to specific, so then you are not disappointed. But I find myself increasingly averse to making decisions, especially where I have no preference. I just want it easy and carefree, but the hippy error has saldy been and gone...
Mishark

Postby sezze » Tue May 10, 2011 6:58 am

Mishark wrote:Yup, render still to come... (Thanks Geordie and MGV)

Hmmm, maybe almost finished was a bit optimistic?! I have no idea how long these things are supposed to take, but yes, the whole length of the wall will be rendered - and i assume both sides...

Yeah, Fred, I guess better not to want anything to specific, so then you are not disappointed. But I find myself increasingly averse to making decisions, especially where I have no preference. I just want it easy and carefree, but the hippy error has saldy been and gone...

Do not worry . You are in the village and you have made the choice of real living there and not put a home in "a village " . It's their way of doing things , it's slow on many occasions and not always the quality we desire but it does keeps us busy during the days . Not always knowing what and how you want to do it can be positive and negative but you can tackle one thing when it comes along . They are doing a good job as far as i can see . Yes it is basic but it isn't bad . Maybe here and there it could be stronger , but i'm sure it is stronger then most houses in your village .
sezze

Sisaket: The shop

Postby Mishark » Tue May 10, 2011 7:48 am

The shop has been running for over a week now, and I am pleased to say they are doing it very professionally indeed. Despite being in the village, they are taking a lot of care over over all aspects of the business:

...the shop
ShopFromInside.JPG
ShopFromInside.JPG (45.37 KiB) Viewed 579 times

...the product
(early prototype, now done in plastic cups)
EarlyPrototype.JPG
EarlyPrototype.JPG (29.57 KiB) Viewed 579 times

...the register
ShopRegister.JPG
ShopRegister.JPG (28.09 KiB) Viewed 579 times

...the cash
TakingsBucket.JPG
TakingsBucket.JPG (30.76 KiB) Viewed 579 times

The girlfriend has been talking to people to track down where to source ingredients and product from. Originally for the slushies (shaved ice flavoured drinks) they were putting normal ice into a blender - unfortunately with this method, there are always larger chunks left. They have now sourced the ice man, and had a large chilly bin delivered full of shaved ice!

IceManDelivers.JPG
IceManDelivers.JPG (43.32 KiB) Viewed 579 times

ShaveIceChilly.JPG
ShaveIceChilly.JPG (34.15 KiB) Viewed 579 times

A lady in the village who has two motorbikes doing rounds, has already had words with the girlfriend asking why she is opening the shop when she has a farang boyfriend. The lady said she will open a shop too. Thankfully, the girlfriend was not deterred in the slightest. Will be interesting to see if that story develops...

I have provided a few things, which I do not expect to be paid back. I just hope they run the shop professionally, which they are doing at the moment, and it become self funding and also the motivation stays strong for a long time to come...

HotWater.JPG
HotWater.JPG (34.43 KiB) Viewed 579 times

I must say, quite enjoying not being allowed to work in the kingdom - I get to watch, not doing anything, and not feel guilty, because I know that I am not allowed to do anything.... (And besides, I think the girlfriend greatly prefers it that way too!) :D
Mishark

Sisaket: Not just about building a house...

Postby Mishark » Tue May 10, 2011 10:04 am

Sezze, thanks for your reassurance. I look at some of the beautiful houses on CTH and think that is what we should be aiming for. Then you take a walk around and realise that you live in a village, and such complexes are not really suited.

As much as I am currently enjoying living in the village, and do like what many others would turn there noses up at, I need variety. For some reason I had got into my head that, as we are building a home here, this is where we would live 12 months of the year! After talking with the girlfriend, and finding she was happy to go away for (a few) months at a time, now feeling much happier about what we are doing in the village...

It is not just about building a house, but (more importantly) creating a lifestyle!

:D
Mishark

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story