House Building, Sisaket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House Building, Sisaket

Postby Mishark » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 pm

kknaj, thanks for your reply. I have seen him only 3 times, and only one of those times was on site. So he really has very little input into the project, and more of a project manager is one of the girlfriends female family members. She has been there periodically every day to keep an eye on things and has been really great and supportive.

As I mentioned, thankfully the actual team doing the work seems to be much better. We have now got our pickup truck so I will be keeping a closer eye on the development as it is a lot more enjoyable travelling the 25km to the site now, than before when we went by motorbike.

Yes, starting to have some concerns about whether starting to make the alcove too small to get things into one of the rooms (my office). Another thought is to put a full height swinging divider in place instead... :-S (Will look again tomorrow)
Mishark

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:28 am

Mishark wrote:kknaj, thanks for your reply. I have seen him only 3 times, and only one of those times was on site. So he really has very little input into the project, and more of a project manager is one of the girlfriends female family members. She has been there periodically every day to keep an eye on things and has been really great and supportive.

As kknaj mentioned, I recommends getting rid of him too. I love it when they want more money, I know just the thing to say to them in thai now :D

Any reason you cannot manage it yourself, having the gf's so-so in there sounds a little ad-hoc, does this person have building experience? Looks
like the main structure is up, for the finishes me thinks you need to be there to get the quality you want.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Mishark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 am

Interestingly, after the project planner wanted more money, the girlfriend has been through all the receipts working out what has been paid, to who and by who (we paid for some things on behalf of the other project manager and vice versa). Anyway, turns out rather than the B50,000 I thought we owed, we only owe B38,000 :-) She has been on the phone to the project manager, and all has been agreed (let's see if it holds) :roll:

I have been paying over the internet direct into his acocunt and after the house is finished and all payments made, slightly more than the agreed price (because of the extras) will have been paid to him, so at least it looks like the full payment has been made.

Thanks Max for your comments. The girlfriend is much more hands on than I, and does go regularlay, though I will start too. She has a lot of trust in the gf's so-so, but for me it still comes back to being a B700,000 home, so not a huge investment (though of course I do want it to be safe, comfortable and look nice). Because it is in her village, she really does want to make it look as good as she can (especially as everybody is noticing, apparently (much more than I first realised) - first farang in the village), and with CTH helping too, I think I am in safe hands. :-)

Interesting some of the remarks the girlfriend tells me some people in the village have said. Farang come, make house, buy car, buy motorbike all nice and new and then they not want to stay, smash everything and leave. Or why did girlfriend not find old farang, old farang have money. All stories I am sure everybody has heard before. Interesting when one of the reasons I did not want to make a multi-million baht house was because it is in a village and I wanted it to fit into the village. But those one or two villagers, just see poor farang... (Oh well, ...) : 8)

...the building process still seems a little slow, but the walls have either been finished, or get finished today. The windows frames have been put in and though I would have liked more/larger window, especially in the bathrooms, because we are building in the village, things need to be a little conservative, apparently. I am not that picky, so am sure all will be fine.

The electrician comes in tomorrow, so I have created a wiring chart:

FloorPlan.png

Next the rendering.
I am told another 2-3 weeks and the house will be finished! :o

I have uploaded some more pictures but started a new album as, when ordering photos, it seems every photo has to be moved to the bottom by clicking the down button a million times? (Well, until the photo gets to the end). Is there an easier way of ordering photos in the album? http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... ?album=184
Mishark

Sisaket: Grinding out wall chunks!

Postby Mishark » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Yup, today they started cutting out chunks of the wall! With a circular grinder and power drill! Holes deep enough that you could see through the whole wall. What for? Well, it wasn't the electrician that came today, but the conduit man.

According to my drawing that I posted yesterday, today they cut out cavities in the wall for conduit and switch/plug/network boxes. I am very thankful that the walls do NOT support the roof!

Tody I intervened when they about to put the middle front speaker box in the middle of a wall section, rather than in the middle between the other two speaker boxes. Also, the girlfriend, unaware of what an 8.2 speaker system is, thought 4 speakers (2 front and 2 back) was enough. I soon educated her and got boxes for the 8.2 setup...

Anyway, here are some pictures...

Conduit1.JPG

Conduit2.JPG

Conduit3.JPG
Mishark

Sisaket: Rendering and borehole

Postby Mishark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:58 pm

Building seems to have gone down to one or two people doing the actual work, needless to say rendering is happening at a very slow pace. Apparently some new workers came, and one quickly erected a hammock in the master bedroom. Did look very comfortable but obviously has not added much to the quantity of work being done! (Have been informed, very tired today so he starts tomorrow, thankfully we do not pay by the hour!)

Tomorrow the borehole will be drilled. Apparently the water table is very high and the whole is expected to be less than 12m deep - better be, we only have 12m of PVC piping! There is another borehole less than 10m away so hopefully the girlfriend and whoever she took advice from know what they are talking about. The cost for drilling the hole, B8,000. They wanted B13,000 at first, but family discussions negotiated them down to a hopefully reasonable price. We supply PVC piping and pump (B8,000).

Anyway, have uploaded photos: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... ?album=184

Oh, in one of the photos it looks like the door width is different from top to bottom! Apparently though, it was the support column that was not straight! :shock:
Mishark

Sisaket: Borehole completed...

Postby Mishark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Well, that made for an interesting day. They finished the borehole, but we had to make two extra trips to pick up PVC piping and to change the pump (bit more expensive), the first was too small for the depth we ended up going to...

So, the finished borehole is PVC piping down to 20m with the actual hole going down to 40m. Surface pump (B8,000) installed and working, left running for an hour, for whatever reason... Cost of digging the hole was the same as I said yesterday, B8,000. Oh, and there was about B700 worth of pipes as well. So we have water for, let's call it B17,000...

DSC01337.JPG

DSC01338.JPG

DSC01341.JPG
Mishark

Postby geordie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:22 am

when a well is drilled in uk its lined with pipe and on the bottom couple of sections has a screen to minimize sand ect being sucked up in the pump
when its first pumped they use a pump bigger (a lot bigger) than the one you will use the idea being to remove as mutch sand silt as possible from the borhole clearing all the loose stuff they can then they pump a couple of thousand litres back down to clear the screen the result is that when you put your pump down it has not enough suction to pull silt in resulting in clean water
so if it were me i would let the pump run a good few hours to try and clear the well of silt put some into a bottle and do a before and after on how mutch silt you get

by the way the pipe (uk) woul cost more than you paid for the well
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mishark » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 am

Geordie, thanks for your reply, and I will be sure to get a bottle of the water so I can see the amount of silt in it. And if there is any in it (especially as water from the girlfriends family borehole is clear), I will be sure to do get them to clean it further. Yesterday my camera battery was running flat otherwise I would have taken a photo of the water coming out of the pump pipe (it looked good), as it was being run for the hour or so...

Both before getting the borehole dug and again afterwrads, I have been googling and reading CTH articles on boreholes and seeing how proper ones are done. Although I understand the possible issues, it is hard to argue for a full encased borehole when the girlfriends family has been using a "traditional Thai borehole" for many years with no issues - and the water comes out lovely clear and drinkable - Well, we (including me) all drink it without stomach issues...

That said, for drinking water, we will install a filtration system just to be on the safe side, not sure whether the 3 rockets (with the different filter materials) or a reverse osmosis system (or both). Still some investigative reading required...

As for the pump, the pressure at this point (just connected and pumping) seems reasonable. We will see how it works out, and if a submergable pump is really required, we can look into doing that...
Mishark

Postby otis-a » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:59 am

most folks around our village use the double pipe jet pumps without issue also. Pitty u not post pic of ur jet pump b4 they lowered it into hole,
ditto for the small diameter 8k tb borehole
i guess ur well man not pay the 10k thai well fee- in which instance u borehole would be 18k tb
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Sisaket: Thinking curtains...

Postby Mishark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:59 am

Otis, having done more research I think I now understand what you mean by "jet pump b4 they lowered it into hole", the little plastic piece they put at the end of one of the two pipes sitting inside the larger 6" pipe. And huh, you want a close up of the hole they dug? Will get one next time... (And a close up of the pump make and model)

What 10k baht well fee? There is seriously such a thing? You have your own hole dug, source your own materials, and have to pay a 10k fee? To who? Asked the girlfriend and she had no idea about any fee, and usually she is up with it... :?

That siad, we have just paid a deposit to get curtains made for the windows in the house, about 10 triple wooden windows. Just main curtains with no net curtains. Material cost per metre is 380 baht. And the total cost is 35,000 baht. Sounds a bit steep to me?! Trying to Google and find posts, but not a lot of joy...
Mishark

Postby pattayapope » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm

If you want to get some cheap curtains places like Home Works have them ready made and are not expensive. If you want the bedroom dark you may have to get them lined, it also saves on the AC power bills. I have also seen some of the local markets that sell them ready made. guess if you have paid the deposit it is a bit late now though.
pattayapope

Re: Sisaket: Thinking curtains...

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:25 pm

Mishark wrote:
That siad, we have just paid a deposit to get curtains made for the windows in the house, about 10 triple wooden windows. Just main curtains with no net curtains. Material cost per metre is 380 baht. And the total cost is 35,000 baht. Sounds a bit steep to me?! Trying to Google and find posts, but not a lot of joy...

I am about 1 week away from buying curtains, rails, etc, if you can post some pic up of what you are getting for 35k that would be useful. We are probably going with the DIY rails and off the shelf curtains from Home Pro, the suggestion of getting them lined with a thick material on the back is good - also I was thinking of a double rail, 1 curtain is thick and dark, the other is light and breezy, the dark one gets drawn at night.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:56 pm

Mishark,
The cost of 35,000 sounds fine to me but that would depend on the thickness of the material, some of our curtains in our town house cost nearly 1,000 baht a sq mt but they are super thick and block out 90% of the light. I also have the ones with hooks that just clip on to the rails, which makes life easier when they get washed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mishark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:15 pm

A lot has happened, including a B100,000+ DoHome shopping spree for TV, Sofa, Fridge, ... A bit premature for sure, given the house is probably still 3 weeks from completion, but I enjoyed it... :D

Thanks all, your comments were much appreciated. As it turned out the material we had selected was unavailable (I guess that means they have stopped making it :? ). Anyways, we went back to either get our B2,000 deposit, or to select some new material. We ended up doing the later, material cost going from B360/metre to B400/metre and total cost going down from B35,000 to B33,000. Also we got our wood looking rings and rails, so that rather than the curtain so much hanging from the rod, the rod goes through the top of the curtains, added for free (maybe they were always going to be free). Anyway, I thought that quite a result, especially as I like these ones much better...

And I even managed to remember to take a photo :P

CurtainShampoo.JPG

CurtainLightBrown.JPG

We did have a look at DoHome in Ubon Ratchatani, and you can do cheaper, but the material available is much more limited, and for us the difference was probably B15,000 (£300) so was happy to pay a bit for them...

Unfortunately the black backing to make a total blackout curtain (although a great idea) seems unlikely as the colour black is not good in the village, apparently. To be fair, I tend to sleep through almost anything, but if it does proove to be a problem, will take care of it then...
Mishark

Postby Mishark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:39 pm

Oh, and I took some more photos of the pump. One of which is it's efficiency at different depths. Interesting, for me at least, to see how quickly it drops off. I assume 9L per minute should be enough... :?

DSC01360.JPG

DSC01363.JPG

DSC01361.JPG

DSC01359.JPG
Mishark

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story