House Building, Sisaket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: House Building, Sisaket

Postby Mishark » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks for the comments about the roofing, and I have been investigating. It turns out that we are not using tiles after all, but rather "synthetic roof sheeting". I thought the following was an interesting article: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/inforoof.htm

To give some background, the house is in a small village (80 people) with no farang houses around (so no need to keep up with the Joneses) and because of it's location (in the "family" village), the house is unlikely to ever be sold. That said, I will investigate the cost difference again, and if not too much or too late, go with the in vogue CPAC roofing option :-)

When it comes to design, I am definitely more hands on and will be even more aware after the comments about uncentred doors and lights etc. I have already given input as to where the door to the master bedroom should go, to avoid destroying the usability of one corner of the bedroom :-)
Mishark

Postby geordie » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:12 am

be careful the cpac tiles will add a hell of a lot of weight if the roof has not been designed for it you will have a real bad problem
the synthetic sheets are fairly lightweight and use a lot less steel
so to beef it up will require quite a bit more steel which in itself adds to the weight problem
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Sisaket: Builders walk off site for good!

Postby Mishark » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 am

Yup, Yesterday, the building team left the site, for good! The building team fell out with the project manager over, guess what, yup - money (no surprises there). The project manager was only willing to pay according to progress, which seems fair enough. The probelm was the building team said they had not been paid enough for the stages done (You would have thought they would have worked all that out before commencing - maybe they did, but the building team still wanted more?!).

So, after 3 way discussions between the project manager, the building team and my girlfriend, the building team left the site yesterday, after two days of no work. Thankfully, money still in tact and the project manager has already got a new building team. I guess there are independant building teams always ready and waiting for the next job? (Or maybe the teams are not independant, will find out)

I should say I use the term "project manager" for lack of another term. We signed the contract with this person, pay money to this person, go shopping for materials with this person, but he is not the part of the building team and comes on-site as necessary (every fews days) for an hour or so to check progress. He is not paid to be on-site continuously, and this service is all part of the contract price...

Two days ago we went with the project manager to two big home depot stores in Ubon Ratchatani. The girlfriend and I had discussed and seen examples of what we wanted, but to select tiles, paint colours, front door, internal doors, lighting, windows, and what we wanted in the bathroom and in the kitchen all in one day was quite stressful! But remembering back, I think we made good decisions. Time will tell...

I guess a lot will be watching it all be put in place, and being quick to notice and make a decision if something is about to be installed that is not as we want. Or equally importantly, something is left out that we want. And having thought enough about the look and feel for each room that you can tell quickly...

Only new picture is from yesterday - bricks being delivered. But I hear a lot of things are be delivered today, but not going up today, so will get photos next time... :-)
Mishark

Re: Sisaket: Builders walk off site for good!

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:13 am

Mishark wrote:I should say I use the term "project manager" for lack of another term. We signed the contract with this person, pay money to this person, go shopping for materials with this person, but he is not the part of the building team and comes on-site as necessary (every fews days) for an hour or so to check progress. He is not paid to be on-site continuously, and this service is all part of the contract price...

Almost the same terms as I have with my project manager although he has a stipulation of a minimum 15 hours on site per week in his contract. I find the most important part is his independence and as go-between / advisor of me the future inhabitant. It also makes things easier when it comes to coordinating the different suppliers as he does all the planning and almost all the acquisition.

Good luck with the new team.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 pm

Mishark

Been a while since we saw any updates how is the building going?
pattayapope

Postby Mishark » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Thanks for ther nudge pattayapope :-)

Have been down in Pattaya for 10 days to see friends and buy a new Toyota Vigo.

The house is progressing, though slower than we would like!

Photos here: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... 171&page=4

Maybe that is what happens when you go away for a short break?! The steel for the roof is up and some of the (sorry CPAC supporters) Chang synthetic roofing has been put up. I am happy with the look, though was expecting it to be almost completed! According to the project manager! The builder putting it up said it would be completed in 5 days. Will be good to see it finished.

Simultaneously, another builder has been constructing the brick walls. He did put the master bedroom door in a different position than I was expecting, but after looking, I can easily live with where it is...

Now that we are back, the girlfriend is on the case again, and I continue to give my minimal input (although I did try a few shoulder tests on the walls and they didn't fall down!) :)

Hopefully everything is actually back on track...
And, as always, please let me know any comments, good or bad.
Mishark

Postby otis-a » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 am

The steel for the roof is up and some of the (sorry CPAC supporters) Chang synthetic roofing has been put up.

the cpac seems an expensive alternative, even on dcfr net-present-value basis- for my build roof, less than 5% of total cost 70k out of 1,5mm:- where as may stated the roof to be his most expensive item- perhaps 10% of a much more costly tb/sm house
if one uses herd stat's-90% of thai builds use it- there must be some advantage to the stuff- most likely it works and is low cost- the dis is lack of insulation; which is easly overcome by addition of ventillation and synthetic insulation between ac'd rooms and roof- the fiberboard roofs were also successful (20+yr service life) where i formerly worked in the gulf with hotter sun than here
Attachments
Scr000365.jpg
griffith house with std thai roof plus vented attic & partial insulate ac rooms
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Re: Sisaket: Alcove Double Door Ideas WANTED

Postby Mishark » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I have a design question. To avoid having lots of doors off the main living space, we have created what I guess you would call an alcove? and put the doors so they are side on to the main living area, accessible through the alcove.

I would love some suggestions of what to do with the gray area please. We are still bulding so the area can be walled in and an arch made. Or any other such ideas... (thanks in advance) :)
Attachments
DoubleDoorArch.png
DoubleDoorArch.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Mishark

Postby splitlid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 pm

what width do you have in the 'alcove'? if it is 1000mm or more then i would look at making the opening smaller, maybe 1500mm each side, then use the back wall as a feature wall. arches are so yesterday, as are coloured sandstone carvings on walls. :D
splitlid

Postby splitlid » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:03 pm

something like this maybe

splitlid

Postby runker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:32 pm

When looking straight at the opening I would rather not see any of the doors, and I like the idea for an arch along with what Splitlid said.
runker

Postby pattayapope » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:02 am

If you decide on an arch make sure it will not block access to bringing large things into the rooms such as desks beds ect. I have an arch on my downstairs stairway in my old house and I have difficulty to bring up large things upstairs. I wanted to remeove an old wardrobe some time back and could not get it out without destroying it so it will remain in the house forever[*] :lol:

Another option is to set some lighting fixtures into the wall in some alcoves, I agree with Runker on the door issue I did not want a toilet access in my new house directly from the lounge as you can hear what is happening if someone is a bit loose in the WC[*] :lol:
pattayapope

Re: Sisaket: Thanks & Minor Update

Postby Mishark » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:55 pm

Thanks everybody for your comments on my design question. Have told the girlfriend to tell the builder to go with narrowing the walls (no arch) and that we will put something of interest on the wall behind...

Added 3 new photos, but it does feel a bit like watching sand move through an hour glass at the moment! As such, I will not go up until the brick walls and roof are on. That said, maybe in a weeks time... Going back to Pattaya to pick up the car in a few days anyway.
Mishark

Postby Mishark » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:29 pm

Thanks otis for that picture of the synthetic roof, which I think looks good! I like the main sheets on our roof too, but unfortunately the project manage bought material that make the edges look terrible! Now, we just want the house finished, but after we have moved in, we might look into getting the edges re-done... :-( That said, in the mean time, we have paid B17,000 in tape and labour to stop water being driven up under the edges! :x

Roofing Edges.JPG

Then today I saw we had insulating foil under 90% of the roof sheets, but they ran out, and the g/f didn't want to buy any more, and didn't tell me, so the front of the house, where the sun currently shines, but apparently does not shine during Songkran (the hottest months of the year) does NOT have any! Which seems rather stupid to me!!

And on top of all that, the project manager that we have very RARELY seen said the house got built bigger then on the plan and asked for more money because of it! Well, maybe he should have kept an eye on his building teams! And then it might not have happened! Hoping that he had built it bigger, being a freebie for us, I went and measured it - sadly, all lengths were exactly as on the plan, within 30cm. Anyway, the girlfriend told him that if he wanted more money, to come talk to me! I HOPE HE DOES! :lol:

On the plus side, the overall price of the house was good, and we still have a chance to make the inside of the house nice. And the actual work to date seems to be of good quality. Not the tradesmens fault that the project manager bought awful edges! And that the girlfriend didn't want to buy more insulation! :?

Anyway, will upload some more photos now...
Mishark

Postby kknaj » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Sounds like a very dodgy project manager. Asking for more money for 30cm extra is ridiculous. He is a liability to your project. If you keep him he will make things worse. Believe me. Im tired of hoping dodgy staff will correct their ways. They dont and it gets worse. Get rid of him now. He is going to continue like that until you are ready to kill him.

He's just a money hungry idiot and will destroy your project further the longer you keep him.

On your alcove its a good idea. Careful if you put a hallway there. The hallway should be at least 1.1-1.2m wide with a wide opening for moving furniture in and out. Otherwise without a wall and some interesting feature such as the pic shown by splitlid would be nice. Also careful the alcove doesnt make your rooms too small. I wanted to do a similar idea but once they started i could see that one of the bedrooms would be too small so they had to cut a hole in 1 wall and fill in a doorway on another wall to fix it.
kknaj

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story