Building holiday home near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building holiday home near Udon

Postby sezze » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Ok , just got back after some hard work and again a lot is been done .
We finally bought curtains and we decided to have the same curtains all around the house . Looking at the prices from the known shops i was looking at a 20k bill but after visiting a local shop i have chosen 1 of the most expensive models at a complete bill including everything (free placement ) for 17750 baht . The quality is certainly higher then the ones you find in standard shelves in homepro/GH and other shops at a lot cheaper price .
It does make tv watching during the day a lot better . I could have chosen a more dark color to block out more light but these colors were the most beautiful imho , so i've gone with them .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:17 pm

All the rest of the work is done on the outside . The garden is starting to have shape . First we needed to level everything since some sand has been lost in the past due to rain and not 100% leveling at the start . We ordered first 5 truckloads and after that was leveled with a small tracktor we ordered another 4 to level everything out and fill in the remaining parts .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:31 pm

We also ordered grass to put on top . After leveling , not golffield leveled , but good enough for my liking we put 100m2 on top together with some black ground to give it some nutrients to get it's feet on the ground quicker . We sprinkle it 2 times a day and later it will be 1 time a day when it is growing well . It took like a week to settle in and you femlt to roots were firmly in the ground . Like you might notice on the pics there are some plants allready here and there , like 2 nice red palms , 1 champagne palm , and others . 100 sqm is not enough , i think we need another 20 for finishing it of , but it does look allaready a lot better then standard sand .
The grass is laid very fast , 100sqm takes not more then 1 hour of work by yourself .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:56 pm

Other work needed to be done also otherwise all the sand was on the street and in the surrounding field again after the rainy season , so wall was put up . At 1st i did not want to do it , but it does add to safety , privacy , looks . We decided to go with half blocks/concrete and half fake wood . We looked around for everything and fort the fake wood Viva board was the one which fitted all criteria . These ones are 150cm by 10cm by 16mm and the ones in the middle are 120cm by 15cm by 16mm . They are all 59baht a piece . These ones have fake wood profile , the smooth ones are cheaper . Note , everybody else around here chooses 8mm sheets for fence , but they are thin and not really for fence work . 16mm ismore expensive but it is a lot stronger and does not bend . On top of the render we went for the slate look . We ordered 500kg of rough slate , multicoloured to put on top of the rendering . It does look expensive and it is more expensive then paint but cheaper then tiles or sandstone if you are wondering ( i give you a price when you are interested ) .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:59 pm

The rendered pieces of the wall will be painted afterwards , but this is not finished yet. You also see that the guy doing the fence had a spraygun instead of the standard brush . It does go a lot quicker .
I give you more pics in a couple of days , first some reactions ... :mrgreen:
sezze

Postby pattayapope » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Looking good Sezze you have been busy, I bet it is hard to go back to work.

Nice to see you have updated your build story[*] :D
pattayapope

Postby Makmak456 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Nice update sezz.
Great job on the build. I am at the post and beam's part on my build' And the 2nd story part of the build is now poured, along with the roof supports/posts.
Saving up for the roof, but should get that started by the first week of November.
MORE PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THX
Mark
Makmak456

Postby Maluckyday » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Great job and a story well documented and relayed.

A year on ... is there anything more to add?

Maluckyday

Postby olavhome » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:01 pm

sezze wrote:The rendered pieces of the wall will be painted afterwards , but this is not finished yet. You also see that the guy doing the fence had a spraygun instead of the standard brush . It does go a lot quicker .

The multicoloured rough slate look nice. Do it have a company name (or price :wink: ) ?
olavhome

Postby MGV12 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:27 pm

olavhome wrote:
sezze wrote:The rendered pieces of the wall will be painted afterwards , but this is not finished yet. You also see that the guy doing the fence had a spraygun instead of the standard brush . It does go a lot quicker .

The multicoloured rough slate look nice. Do it have a company name (or price :wink: ) ?

Sezze hasn't logged on for quite some time so you may well not get an answer to that question ... however ... if you look at one of the previous pics you will see a pile of slate pieces and I would suggest his workers probably did it themselves. It's very little different to applying ceramic tiles to a wall. You need to look around the places that sell bricks and stone cladding and the like ... it's sold either by the Talang metre or by weight. Much cheaper if you are able to buy it yourself and do the installing yourself or get a local worker to do it ... companies will usually quote a high price [very high price for Farang] for this type of work even though it's straightforward.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sezze » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi ,
Ive been away for some while , but i've been busy .

On the slate : multicolored , 7baht /kg , and you need roughly 20kg/m2 ( don't shoot me on this nr , but i think i am pretty correct ) It is easy to put and much much easier then tiles ( doesn't need to be straight ) . Put them on a cement base , not the cheapest cement as it is't strong enough . If you let it do by a company , i've seen it somewhere , would be very expensive ... Do it yourself or hire a person and you are set for +/-200baht/m2 everything included .
I've got them from the big granite shop on the way from Udon to Nong Khai , but plenty of places sell them . Look at big piles of stone somewhere down the road at a stone shop . Looks like waste stone at 1st but you have to look closer and then you see that they are stacked multicolored , black ( bit cheaper ) and big shops also have blocks of sandstone uncut .
sezze

Postby sezze » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 pm

What i've been busy doing ...
Got a gate . A perimeter wall with the neighbours is build and nearly finished ( cheap cheap ) . A extra kitchen closet ( wall hanging unit ) is added . Insulation is been put above bedroom ( 3 inch glasswool ) and under the roof ( 2 inch ) . It does help a lot because the rooms were heating up as the roof was getting hot . Painted the doors again , wood needs repainting often , and this is faster then i wanted but on the other hand , 1 bucket of woodstain was planty and it is not expensive and a easy job to do . That is about it for the moment ... and i say for the moment since i am thinking and counting on quite a big job . That is , lifting the roof ( possibly by cutting the connection between the stepped roof , and adding a 2nd reinforcement steel ringbeam ) and add a complete 2nd floor with 4 rooms ( aka guesthouse ) . Beside cutting the roof , this would mean add a lightweight floor ( Shera or similar ) the steel of 1st ringbeam of roof ( connection to poles ) needs to be larger . And creating lightweight walls using qcon and/or shera . Total added weight at 1st counting is between 5 and 10 ton so that would not be too disturbing . Replacing the steel sheet roof by clay tiles would probably be the same weight ( i'm not planning that , the steel sheet roof is very good ) .
sezze

Postby sisaketdeaming » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:20 am

Hi Sezze,

I really love the style of the house you have built. I m thinking of building something similar (size and style) near sisaket.
It is going to be for the inlaws - I will stay there occasionally when I am in sisaket.

Do you think you could still build it for roughly the same price - or have building costs increased significantly?

One final question. Has the grass survived? I love gardens and greenery, but I am not sure if the inlaws will look after it if I spend the money to do the whole yard
sisaketdeaming

Postby sezze » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:29 am

Hi ,
Yes the grass has survived . Once a while ( let's say every 6 months ) i throw a couple of bags of black soil across the lawn . This is enough furtiliser for the grass to keep growing and expanding on the spots which are not filled in very well or did not survive . Of course the better technique is to buy a lot a bags ( or even a truck ?? ) and mix in in the toplayer before putting the grass , but my technique worked also . In the dryseason you do need to water it , best every day for some while ( 15 to 30 mins is my time for the complete lawn ) , but skipping 1 day won't kill it . Rainy season like it is now , don't worry if you do not have rain for 2 or 3 days , it gets a nice shower the next days .
Yes i can do it again for the same price and i can even say more ... i can do it again for cheaper . Yes a lot of things have risen in price , but a lot of others did stay about the same ( steel , electrics , tiles ... ) . For what i know now , i can certainly do better at the same price , or do it myself for cheaper ( things i did not have time for it / did not know technique used / did not know product /... ) .
What would i change ... a : internal walls would be made out of gypsum and or shera/viva as a drywall . Fast and cheap , and easy to do yourself . Biiig bonus ... elec wires . You can add more sockets etc when and whereever you want . When working without a plan and on the cheap , you do not know every position of socket which you will need after . b another change ... with the prices of building blocks these days . Go for AAC blocks ( Qcon , superblock etc ) instead of my standard cinderblocks . Not that i regret my choice or it isn't strong . It is just that the AAC has come down in price while cinderblocks have gone up quite a bit . The price difference now is just too small and AAC blocks are better ( again speed of build , less cement .. ) .
I will try to give some new pics i the next couple of days to show the front wall and gate painted and ready and some of the other things in and around the house .
sezze

Postby sisaketdeaming » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:57 am

Thanks for the advice. Good to hear the grass has held up. I see a few nice houses in my girlfriends village - but none of them have done any landscaping. I think the landscaping makes the house look so much better.

I'd like to see some more photos.

Cheers
sisaketdeaming

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story