Building holiday home near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building holiday home near Udon

Postby elgato » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:35 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:sezze,
In regards to the bathroom wash basin pressure, it might be one of two things, either too small a pipe or too small exit nozzle that may be slightly blocked.
Very impressive house and build.

Bathroom is looking good. Check and see if your faucet (tap) has an aerator (wire mesh at the outlet) which is removable for cleaning. Many times these get clogged with gunk during pipe installation.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby sezze » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:sezze,
I really do like the way they staggered the brown tiles on the wall, it's the first time I've seen that done in Thailand and it looks good to me. I also like the tile colour scheme. I hope my bathrooms look as good.
In regards to the bathroom wash basin pressure, it might be one of two things, either too small a pipe or too small exit nozzle that may be slightly blocked.
Very impressive house and build.

The staggering of the tiles is my idea . The people did not understand at 1st what i mean and were looking at me as i was some kind of idiot but when the 1st wall was finished they did agree that it looked nice and they continued it on the other pieces of the bathroom when i wasn't there .
I think the staggering of the tiles has the advantage of being more forgiving for uneven placement of tiles ( bigger and smaller grooves etc ) , making it look more professional .
sezze

Postby elgato » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:37 am

Bathroom looks nice. Are you planning to enclose the shower area or leave it open "Thai-style"?
elgato

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:52 am

elgato wrote:Are you planning to enclose the shower area or leave it open "Thai-style"?

From http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2267&start=45#p30097:
sezze wrote:Shower cabin needs to be placed
fredlk

Postby sezze » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:56 pm

Yep , thank you for answering for me . The shower cabin , might not be a shower cabin but only 2 glass walls , or a complete one , i need to check the prices 1st . For the moment , the area covered for the shower is 1.2m by 1.4 m . That is the part where the slate is on the wall . The plan is to put the glass on the edges of the slate so i will have a big shower with walls of slate . Like always with my building , nothing is certain till it is bought and put in place :mrgreen: :lol: .
sezze

Postby mrbojangles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:38 pm

DP
Last edited by mrbojangles on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrbojangles

Postby mrbojangles » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:40 pm

Lovely house sezze. A similar construction to my "BoJangles Budget Bungalow in the Boonies" which I started last month. I might get time to diary it on here soon but at the moment, I am in the same position as you and not on site. I have therefore slowed but not stopped the work. I want to be there for major decisions as i am designing it as it goes, so to speak. The main construction design is mostly finalised and I am having the steel sheet roof with the silver backed foam on the back but electric and plumbing decisions still have to be made.

You mentioned about the water pressure. What type of water system have you put in place? Is it fed from the village or from your own water tanks? Or both? And do you have a filtration system?
mrbojangles

Postby sezze » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:40 pm

We have communal water supply . This is however way to low pressure to do anything with it . So we put it to a watertank and from there we have a pump system to provide water to the house .
There is no filtering unit as the water is not used for drinking purposes .
sezze

Postby sezze » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Here we are again :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Since last time not much has happened , well it did , but not to the house :lol: . After my gf visited my home/family in Belgium it was time to head back to Thailand and the decision was made to bring my motorbike over . It did bought it a couple of years earlier and instead of letting it rust away it is much better to keep it where i am staying now and have a 2nd motorbike ( BTW it's a Honda Sonic ) . Back in Udon we went for some interior work instead of finishing the outside .
We bought a ultra heavy statue so that needed to put somewhere on the wall . Since i worked with sandstone before i thought about making a fake wall around it and using sandstone to make some kind of shrine .
A small 1 watt led light is conceiled in the top so it gives of a nice shine at night without adding a lot to the electric bill ( BTW last months bill was 330 orso baht 8) 8) )
sezze

Postby sezze » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:08 pm

The statue i recon is approx 70 kg , so ultra heavy is not a understatement . It looks a lot lighter then it really is , and you needed 2 persons to move it in a save way .
Next it was time for a tv ... and guess wath it is nice promotion time on big tv's . Hahha . I bought a 51 inch 3d plasma screen from Samsung . The 3d for me was not a thing but the Gf likes it , and for the extra price i did went along ( the tv was 28k ) . The plasma thing , as part of elec use it will put it higher but the differences for LED vs plasma are not that huge anymore , and certainly less then thought by most ( the new generations that is ) . The extra price for a 50inch LED is not justified in these times . We also bought a couple of seats which can be made into beds so are very handy in case family/ friends come over . They are even actually used as that . Very handy .
The TV unit/closed is made out of wood and i did love it from the 1st second so that was in as well .
In the mean time , dad had allready started at the outdoor bathroom on which he is so keen on . Only a couple of bags of cement and stone are used and all the rest is leftover material from the house before and from the main house .the door has to be bought as well . He finished it in a couple of days and painted it straight the next days . I'm pretty sure the paint will go in 2 years but that way they can see that i'm not joking on waiting to paint for the main house . For a cheap outdoor toilet it does look good however IMHO .
sezze

Postby sezze » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:17 pm

I do have sat tv now , with 2 receivers so the parents can use the old tv in their bedroom while i can see my programs .
For the rest , not much has been done . The outdoor LED lights are finished and i do need a few more but probably due to the floods they where sold out and i have to wait for adding those . 1 watt Leds work very good and if i've seen them before i would have used them throughout the house . The are not more expensive as other lights but you do need a few more . Here you see them in action as they are fitted in the soffits pointing at the wall . They stay on all night , while the floor ones go out once everybody is inside the house .
As last for this time i give the view on the bathroom ceiling and the shower area when it was a bit more finished then last time .
sezze

Postby pattayapope » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 am

Good job Sezze nice ot see you are back in Thailand for some R & R.
pattayapope

Postby elgato » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:40 pm

Your outside lighting looks great! :D
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby fpiret » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi,
my thai wife would like to build an outdoor toilet similar to the one you have for her parents' house. Could you share with me how much you spend to build this?

Thanks

FredP
fpiret

Postby sezze » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:23 pm

Most of this cost nothing since they are leftover from before .
What's needed , a bit of concrete or cement slab underneath , you do not need a truck since it is not worth it . The was a small slab already from the previous toilet , i'd say 5 cm will do . Then a step up to the squatting toilet which is made by a stone high block covered with cement . Next it is building the wall . In this structure and it is so small there are no columns . The walls are standard blocks , and i do not know the amount , i'd say 200 to 300 max . A couple of bags of cement and sand . The walls after are rendered with cement inside and out . The roof structure is nothing more then leftover wood , nothing fancy , and the roof itself is corrugated steel sheet as found everywhere . After that some tiles from leftovers again and your done. The door is standard pvc door and frame which set me back 1800 baht .
I think the max to spend on the building when buying everything new is ... quick counting ...
let's say max 15 bags cement , 1500 baht . A couple of m3 sand , 1000 baht . 300 stones 1200 baht , squating toilet 1000 baht . a couple of sqm tiles , 1000 baht and roof let's say 1000 baht , and 1 small bucket of outdoor paint
around 10k would be the absolute max .
Most Thais do know how to build a toilet like this , since they do have similar . The difference is in the finish , a bit of nice tiles and paint makes a big difference . Also , rendering is also saved in most Thai toilets . This makes the complete structure a bit more rigid . It wont last a lifetime , but it will do for a couple of years .
sezze

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story