Building holiday home near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building holiday home near Udon

Postby Super8man » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:28 am

Your ceilings look really good. I like the recessed look with the fans fitted. Wonder what they would look like with LED's fitted or recessed lights? The kitchen built from blocks with just wooden doors seems a good idea. The in-laws have wooden units in the bathroom, last time there opened door and it dropped off, sure I heard a burp from the termites.
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Postby sezze » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:57 am

I guess , that termites are not the reason for something like that and it is more the moist enviroment . There are many different doors available from pvc over abs over standard woord till processed wood and further on . I've looked at different models and if you go to the cheaper models , then you really feel the quality suffer a lot . I hope the termites wont touch this wood ( it is treated after all :? ) but if it would happen then the doors are replaceble .
If i had known that the LED's were available at these prices ( 360 baht including unit) then i would have build in a lot of them instead of the lights on the wall . Now there where allready cables put in the wall so i've just gone along with that option and 5 watt lightbulbes are not energy eaters anyway .
sezze

Postby sezze » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:14 pm

We wanted a darker type of the same tile as in the kitchen ,in the living room ( Cotto something ) but Homepro had only 7 boxes in stock and checking out all the other stores had none of the darker ones . So after a few rides back and fw and looking at all the tiles they had , we chose just the same for the living room .
The work continued at multiple places and after the ceiling was done it was time to install the ceiling fans .

The ceiling fans itself are hung on the roof beam ( or how is that called ) by a steel wire . No difficulties there and of the 4 fans installed , 1 is shaking a little at the highest speed , all the rest are extremely stable . The ceiling fans have lights so 2 5watt bulbes are used per fan . Living room is powered by 4 wall lights , switchable 2 by 2 and 2 fans both double 5 watts inside . Total light of living room is 40 watt max , and for now it has proven to be very sufficient . Probably most of the time only 10 watt wil be used as the tv is on .

Paint was bought and this is something i have overdone by choosing Dulux Easycare throughout the house . Inspire would have been plenty and was a whole lot cheaper , but i was in a chaotic state by then of buying buying and buying and building building building .
sezze

Postby sezze » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:38 pm

The ceiling paint was Homematt Alpine white , which is a off-white color with a very very mild greenish teint to it ( visible when holding it to other whites ) .
For the living room wall Easycare Natural Touch is used and this is a very light brown pinkish white color .
For the bedrooms Easycare Ivory is used , which is yellow cream of color .
As part of the master bedroom we chose to have a red effect on the wall . By going on the Easycare selection , the saleswoman of Global told us a price of 1200 baht per gallon . This was not done , allthough it was only 1 gallon we needed . She did point us at the Pentalite range where there is Temple Red is in the standard colors and which came at very reasonable prices ( red is a expensive color so it seems ) . The red out of the box was extremely red but the effect was very nice IMHO 8) 8) . Even the parents , who are not fond of the red color are doubting to put it in their room also :mrgreen: ( 1 gallon is sufficient ) .
sezze

Postby sezze » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:55 pm

And more work was done together with the painting . The soffits ( outside ceiling ) are done by using ventboards from SCG and in Homemart they were the cheapest ( 58 baht each , if i remember correct ) . The edges to come together with the roof board and wall we went to GH because they had a promotion on these fibrecement skirts ( 41 baht each 3m long ) . The ventboards are 60 by 120 and since we had to cover a distance of 100 cm i told them to use 1.5 board per length . This way we had 90 cm but together with the skirts of 7.5 cm ( 2 times =15cm ) we had enough and thus requiring less plates .
The outside color is a color from the Dulux Easycare brochure but we let it mix in for Dulux Weathershield Ultima . It is called Light Lime and that is exactly as i would call it also since it is very very light greenish yellow . As soon as i saw it i wanted that color , so i was very happy i could choose it right out of the brochure ( this gives the best indication on how the actual color is ) .
sezze

Postby sezze » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:12 pm

Te outside lights are 325 each and are made of stone . They might be a bit OTT but to me , they do fit the enviroment . The foot of each light is made out of the red bricks and covered with light sandstone . The lights needed their lightsocket fitted but this is a easy and cheap task at 25 baht or something like that per socket . Rain does not come inside and if there is a occasional spray of water , the sockets are hanging down the roof of the small stone houses so no water will ever get in touch with the elec .

So far almost everything ha been told . Only the bathroom but that is for the next update in a couple of days . This is not completely finished since it needs some finishing touches and the shower cabin which is not yet installed . The rest of the house is finished and i did spend more then the original plan but most of it is due to the general upgrade of all the things done .
For example :
kitchen : hood and build in cooker instead of wall fan and top cooker .
rather luxurious ceiling fans instead of standard floor fans or even simple steel bladed white fans .
High paint quality instead of standard paint , especially indoors .
Not really looking at the price of tiles but all are between 200 and 300 baht per sqm .
Iwhen on budget you can go down a lot more but for the price i am right now i am happy on how it looks ( around 600 k ) .
sezze

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:06 am

A really nice build for a very reasonablre cost it looks to have a bright airy feel to it well done
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Place looks realy nice especially when lit up at night, I have one concern though the gas water heater ducting for the flue is not really suitable for the hot gasses and may fail over time. I would recomend you install the unit outside so any hot gas (Carbon monoxide) or gas (Propane) is vented and will not allow a build up inside the house which could be very dangerous.
pattayapope

Postby sezze » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:30 pm

Yes , i do have some concerns about the exhaust or outlet gas duct of the gas was heater . However , i did look at other types who are really suitable for this use and i did not find them . The duct is not alumunium covered paper or plastic but it is pure aluminium foil . I did touch multiple times the exhaust after using the how water to check the temp and according to my senses it is around 60 degrees C ( meaning i can touch but it is to hot to hold ) . I am hoping that it will do for this use . Placing the waterheater outside was never an option for mee and for now i am not even considering it at the moment. CO is only released when the flame / burning is hold back by insufficient airflow on either side . The duct is not running in straight line and that might be a problem but it will be solved next time . All the house has many windows and doors open for most of the day so on the burning side i not not expect any problem , well that is my hope anyway .
sezze

Postby elgato » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 am

A very nice build and great price too! Congrats!! Nicely detailed pics - very informative.

I have to comment on one of your earlier pics that my wife pointed out. The prominent bottle of lao kao - a motivator for the tractor operator?
Attachments
P1010042.jpg
elgato

Postby sezze » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Lao Khao is for the father , who is kind of fond on this stuff and the workers who do like it as well . I drink it very very rare , since i'm not to keen on this stuff and i do not find any enjoyment of it . My gf/wife also doesn't like me drinking it since it kills you inside ( all strong spirits do IMHO :wink: ) and if i drink i rather stick to beer anyway ( i'm no big drinker ) .
sezze

Postby elgato » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 am

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of the landscaping. Very nice house!
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby sezze » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:17 am

Well , i did forget to put the pics of the bathroom . Like i said , this room still needs some finishing touches but it is done for 90% . Shower cabin needs to be placed , here and there some tiles need to be redone or just finished and i'm thinking about putting black glass doors for the wash basin . Here and there some stainless things need to be add also and some are there allready , some not but on the pics you'll see the complete picture of the bathroom .
sezze

Postby sezze » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:41 am

I still have a small issue in the bathroom with the water pressure of the washbasin being extremely low . I did not check it out last time since it did work and there was tooo much to do anyway . 1st i thought that the line was maybe too long but thinking about it this is probably not the case ( every other tap has plenty of pressure ) . I guess some dust from sawing the lines etc is stuck in the filter from the tap . Unscrewing the tap should solve the small problem i hope .or otherwise i check it out some further but it isn't a huge thing .
The house does look nice in the pictures but i do have some issues which cannot be solved but it is only optical and not structuaral . I wanted the house to be finished ( or close to it 0 and fixing it would cost tooo much time . Like is said b4 , when you are not there, they do things which are not suppose to be like that and which are difficult to fix unless you drop a serious amount of time and or money on it . In the end , i'm happy on how it looks at the moment , even with the flaws it does have ( most not visible on picture ) . I can not complain since it is not a 1million baht home or more . It still is a basic home in a local town , only with all the luxuries of a western style home ( besides aircon ) .

For landscaping , well i do have some things in my mind . First an outside wall with driveway/parking spot . Then it is time to have the outside toilet finished with real stone , and a space for laundry machine and some things with are better suited for this area then sticking them inside the house . As last part of the real building it is time to break down the patio/sala as it is now ( a wooden straw thing to sit during daytime when having a drink etc ) , and make it fit to the house , same roof panels , solid floor , concrete pillars .
As for the rest of the landscaping , well i will see . I do not expect a huge grass lawn , but it might happen . Most of the work i hope will be done next time in november but for the moment nothing besides the TV /sat / furniture is more important . I'll see how it continues .
sezze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:02 am

sezze,
I really do like the way they staggered the brown tiles on the wall, it's the first time I've seen that done in Thailand and it looks good to me. I also like the tile colour scheme. I hope my bathrooms look as good.
In regards to the bathroom wash basin pressure, it might be one of two things, either too small a pipe or too small exit nozzle that may be slightly blocked.
Very impressive house and build.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story