Building holiday home near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building holiday home near Udon

Postby Sunpax » Mon May 23, 2011 2:28 pm

Do you really pay 29000 bahts for only the metal structure for your roof ? for how many m2 ? and what is the weight of the tiles ?
Sunpax

Postby sezze » Mon May 23, 2011 10:53 pm

Sunpax wrote:Do you really pay 29000 bahts for only the metal structure for your roof ? for how many m2 ? and what is the weight of the tiles ?

It has been a couple of months , but as far as i remember it was something like that . I've could have used cheaper steel , as of thinner and only C sections since the weight of the roof is so low but for the couple of 1000 extra it wasn't worth saving . Like i stated b4 , i have done the planning and architect thing without having any knowledge of it so better to go a bit stronger then a bit too thin . The structure is rock solid and weight of it is a lot more then the roof sitting on top of it . The price of that 29 k included the rails to screw the plates on it .
This is the complete roof unloaded from the pickup ( standard pickup , no truck and no problem ) . I tried to figure out the weight of it , but the biggest sheets were 5m long if i remember correct and they were still pretty easy to lift on your own ( as long as there is no wind ) . The pickup delivery had no problem bringin it and as far as i counted , it must have been probably around 400 to 700 kg max for the complete roof . The complete roof including everything excluding the builder ( i must take that off since he got paid for the roof as main purpose but also does a lot more ) was around 75k ( steel structure , sheets , screws , fascia board) . I think the plates total size is around 250m2 . Counting it out i was nowhere near that area but you do have a overlap between the sheets and at the sloping side of the roof you loose a few m2 .
sezze

Postby nanbuilder » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 am

Hi Sezze, awesome! You have pretty much convinced me to go with a steel roof - still researching as I want to put poly foam as insulation also - trying to find an expert for such in Nan. Are you in Thai now?
nanbuilder

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 am

Hi ,
Yes i was in Thailand till today . Very slow internet and been very busy on all the construction which has been taken place an some other stuff . I hope i have time to give updates today .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:04 am

Ok , here we go on part 1 of the updates .
Like i said , a sh*tload of work has been done in the past month and i was very busy getting every thing done.
The start was not that very good since the work done while i was not there was not completely satisfying to say the least :roll: .
Ok , 1st more stuff to buy or nothing could be done afterall .

Then it was absolutely time to start on the outside of the house to get the walkway / terras or whatever you want to call it done . After reading , looking at prices of stuff etc etc , i found somebody doing stonewash or is it sandwash or acid washed concrete . The man contracted showed me various samples of colors and the one i've chosen was not the cheapest but i liked it the most . But B4 he could start , he did have to flatten the sand surface and concrete everything . I decided on he doing the complete job , and i am absolutely happy on choosing this option .
How it lookid B4 he started
Till concreting
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 am

1st after the concrete they did the side and then filling the ground floor .
And then the finishing work . The final color comes through in the folowing days , since everything needs to cure and dry .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:50 am

And then it was time for the ceiling guys , which all in all was everything in the same week , so it was very hectic .
i just give you some pics from the living room .
I've chosen for a recessed ceiling in living room and the 2 bedrooms . The small bedroom and kitchen have just flat ceiling while the bathroom havs also a flat ceiling with 1 side going down ( as it follows the roof above it ) . The ceiling guys also installed a fake wooden Shera skirt .

The rest of the updates is for the next following days .
What's to follow , the kitchen , paint , ceiling with fans , lights inside and outside , tiles , outside ceiling ( soffit as it is called ) a party with monks ( new house blessing thing ) and a few other stuff ... Like i said i was pretty busy , but the house is now for more then 95% finished .
sezze

Postby Sunpax » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:28 am

Great, and all this work done in how long ?
Sunpax

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:44 am

A little over 3 weeks in total . I spend 28 days in Thailand , last 5 days was BKK for a visa application . 1st couple of days where doing buying stuff , from around day 5 till day 20 or so was full on working . 2nd week they did the outside with sandwash , the ceiling inside and the kitchen all at the same time , it was hectic with in the last week driving to Global / Homepro and Toolpro for bits and pieces around 2 times a day .
I can tell you allready that all the paint in and around the house is ICI Dulux
Primer overall
Dulux Weathershield superprimer 3 buckets 12.5 gallon
Outside
Dulux Weathershield Ultima 7.5 gal
Soffits and bathroom
Dulux Inspire 2.5 gall
Ceiling inside
Dulux Homematt 5 gall
inside walls
Dulux easycare
11 gall
accent color 1 room
Dulux Pentalite 1 gl
fakewood edges easycare 2 gall
The colors itself with pics are shown in the next days ... hehehe.
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:40 pm

Ok ,
Kitchen for now ...
Due to all the work which has been done it will all run a bit through each other , but i'm sure you will see how it is going .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:45 pm

When installing and activating the hot water we encountered a problem , a big leak . Now this could have been avoided when testing before and even more so when NOT putting the lines in the wall ( as i instructed b4 going home , but what does the farang know , nice building and lines outside the wall ... :roll: ).
Luckily it was only 1 connector which was not closing properly so not too much breaking work had to be done .
So after fixing the kitchen was nearly done and was ready for use ...

The exhaust line from waterheater still needs to be put behind a small fake wall or something like that , but it is in full working order and i got all the hot water i want and plenty more when needed .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Oh yes , the price of the items are following , 12900 for a set of burner and hood , 2900 for the sink including tap , 3000 for the granite . Kitchen doors are 2000 each , so 6000 total . 2 boxes of tiles for the wall ( 250 or something like that ) and some minor bits and pieces ( exhaust lines are not cheap ) for 2000 or so .
It comes in total at
27000 baht . I expect the cost of total finishing another 3000 baht but those are just to make it handier and finishing bits and pieces ( like cupboards inside the closets ) .
sezze

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:48 pm

A few more pics of ceiling finished with the fans installed
The last pics is the 2nd bedroom .

I might have been wrong on the price of the granite for the kitchen , i said 3000 on the previous post but it also could have been 4200 or 6000 , i forgot about the right price since they showed me various pieces all with different prices . This was 1 of the cheapest they had , and the color was nice enough for me . It is a basic kitchen so i did not want to spend a fortune on a stone which looks just a tiny bit nicer .
sezze

Postby runker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Very nice work. Is your gas tank for the stove and water heater located outside? and does supply both locations?
runker

Postby sezze » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:29 pm

It is located inside near the wall . A very simple adjustment ( longer line to cooker ) and i can put it outside also .
The gastank has the normal reducer you find just everywhere and then you start on the low pressure line . The low pressure line is split with a T piece so from there on i have 2 gaslines running. It has no problem cooking and firing the heater at the same time . The T piece needs a bit of looking but we managed to find it after visiting about 5 shops for gas equipment . It is nothing special , just a brass T piece to put the gaslines on with proper clamps.
sezze

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story