Building holiday home near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building holiday home near Udon

Postby sezze » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:31 pm

pattayapope wrote:Sezze

Agree you are on a tight budget but for floor area of 84 m2 you have a budget of about 4750 per m2 which is quite feasable. I think your budget for tiles is a little on the high side but the rest looks resonable. My tiles are all good quaility on my build and most cost less than 150 baht m2. Not sure if you have a Global House in the area but they have a good range and good prices. I would not expect it would cost more than 150 baht m2 for materials and labour to install, so 250 - 300 baht should be OK budget.

Globalhouse and Siamtak ( if not known , you can look on the internet , it's near BKK and they sell marble ,granite ,granito, etc quite cheap ) are on the list to visit next time . All the tiles will be less then 400 baht and i do not expect anything more then 100baht sqm for work ( otherwise , i do it myself ) . That is why i counted 50k . It's better to overestimate here and there since there are allways hidden costs on different things . A bit more expensive here , a bit cheaper there makes the costs fall into budget .
I'm very sure you can build cheaper then this and still look fine . Like i said , steel for roof is more expensive then needed , and the steelsheets also are not the thinnest available . I'm sure if i would have taken what i needed for steel and chosen the thinner sheets ( 0.23 and 0.28 i think were available ) i would have allready put down my cost by 25k . Bathroom , if you take a normal sink and bowl together with standard taps then it shouldn't cost more then 15k , also a save of the 35k to what i counted . I guess if i would really look at the budget i could go down to 3000 baht sqm , without cutting too much on the total picture and structural strenght of the house .
sezze

Postby sezze » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi ,
I just come back from Thailand and much has been done on the house and even more is been bought :roll: .
I needed a load of red bricks , so we got it 8)
Image.
Flooring for the bathroom needed to be done and that was done by hand
Image. Waterproof was added and that was 120 baht for a 5 liter bottle ( not Sika , pic is available on request ) . The blue pvc was in the floor allready but i cannot give you all the pics since it would take to long .
Septic system was installed and that is just a local easy and cheap system , requiring a truck every now and then .
I spare you the details but as you can see in the next pics , the walls are rendered for a huge part ( not complete as we are living in 1 side of the house which is not finished ) . The people who have done that job done more then fantastic work as i must say as the rendering imho looks smooth as a babies butt . Real local pros at a not expensive price .
So further work on the bathroom
Image .
Slate ( !!) for shower wall
and sandstone next to it . The part not yet done is creme/sand coloured tiles which are not yet installed on that side . The whole bathroom is bought so no worries on further prices . I also got a nice granite ( Black Galaxy ) countertop for under the white sink . The walls of the "sinkstructure "are also slate but that work is not finished ( shame , since i was very eager to show it to you , so more waiting for it ) .
On other parts of the house ...
elec work is in place but also not finished . Everything for that system costed me a shamingly 8000 baht ( Bticino ) :twisted: .
And the expensive item for this time was the doors and windows .
I was hoping for mai deng or mai patou doors and windows but since this had a pricetag of around the 120k mark ( including fittings and glass and standard inner doors etc . ) that was just too much . Looking further i found a shop which made mai nua keng or mai sak doors and windows . Mai sak was out of the question anyhow , but the mai nua keng they did have in the shop ( stained ) did look very promising . A look for the price was in order and checking that out was within my pricemark ( all the doors and windows in the house are around 80k including the fittings and the glass ) . I did save on the fittings since they are easily replaced when needed , but for now they seem rather fine .
inner doors are from Global and costed less then 3000 baht each . They are stained with the same colour as the outside doors and windows . Here is 1 door finished and the other had 1 layer in place b4 install ( after some dust collected on it , this will be fixed b4 2nd layer ) .
And finally the last pic is the house how it is standing now ( outside view )
As we speak , the builder is installing the 5mm glass .
What needs to be bought next time . More tiles . 1 bedroom is finished insluding tiles , another got its tiles . Kitchen needs to be done completely , 3th bedroom needs his tiles , the living room needs tiles . paint and ceiling thoughout the house and light and fans need to be bought and placed .
It looks like i need a roughly 100k more to finished complete so the house will be finished for close to 450k .
sezze

Postby fredlk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:30 pm

I think the house looks fantastic and it is ridiculously cheap. Puts me to shame.
I will be interested in seeing photos of the bathroom when it is complete.
fredlk

Postby Mishark » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Yup. Nice house, great price - well done! :)
Mishark

Postby sezze » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Thx 8) .
I am quite happy on the way it looks right now . I hope everything further is going to plan since there is now building stuff going on while i'm not there ( which is , as we all know not the best thing ) . I am building with family members and with 1 main builder so he and the family knows what degree of finish i want , so i hope they can keep up without my interference . I did not have to yekyek to them a lot , only some brief comments , like i want this to be straight etc ( nothing had to be redone so far ) . This is part due to the complete absence of a plan . I make up the things as they come and figure out how it will look . A lot of things can be changed while building so they can do the job as they know they can do and i figure out how this figures out on the final look and pricetag . By the time i will be back ( end of june or beginning july ) all the doors and windows of the house should be placed including their glass . Bathroom will be finished and i am quite afraid on how they finish it ( however they do have a exemple at 1 side allready . Plenty of headaches but work is low at the moment due to a severe cut in the builders hand by putting the glass ( and he refuses to get his hand stiched :roll: ) . Let's see how it all works out in the end which is coming nearer every day now .
sezze

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 am

Sezze

Looking realy nice, do you have a floor plan I can't quite figure out what the inside plan is i.e bedrooms bathrooms and living area.
pattayapope

Postby sezze » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:55 pm

I'm not the most fantastic computer drawer , so here is a easy layout plan
Image.
If not visible i will draw a better pic and scan it .
All views from outside the house are from the left or top side of this layout plan .
The kitchen area is going to be the space next to the bathroom .
2 bedrooms are 3.5 by 4m . 1 bedroom is smaller at 3 by 3.5m .
bathroom is 2.6 by 4m .
sezze

Postby sezze » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Since everything is quiet , i thought about giving you some more pics .
The present and past bathroom
And the piece of granite used under the sink in the bathroom ( the new that is hahaha ) .
And a view of our massive ghost tree . Besides housing ghosts from the past , he also provides shadow ( he just changed his leaves ) and a nice view imho .
sezze

Postby otis-a » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:04 pm

nice build. nice cost
will u do pwall& garage?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby sezze » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:26 pm

Yes and no .
Perimeter wall will be there since the land is raised to much over a short distance . Like seen on the picture , the sand is always washed away on the street . There will be an arrangement so that the sand stays on the land but it will not be a high perimeter wall .
About a garage , well i call it a patio . There will be a building where there is a straw hut at the moment . This will be used as garage / eating , drinking area etc . At present the straw hut is approx 2 by 3 meter and this will be replaced by a 3 by 5m ( or something like that ) construction . The work on this will probably start next time when i'm there ( july) . This is a low priority building , since we do have something at the moment . The price of it will be very low . The are concrete poles allready available and leftovers from the roof panels will be used ( i need some extra ). It would surprise me if that building would cost more then 20k .
Plenty of things to do later but finishing the house is 1st priority . After it's the walkway around the house and the patio . After that the perimeter wall and make the land a bit nicer , including putting a real wall around the old bathroom ( and not a building site as it is now ) .
sezze

Postby Mishark » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Such extravagance on a car port! :wink:

Car Port.JPG
Car Port.JPG (50.11 KiB) Viewed 1809 times

Think ours cost B1,500 (at most)

Do like your past and present bathroom !
We have the same, now the guest bathroom (since the ensuite)

Guest Bathroom.JPG
Guest Bathroom.JPG (33.34 KiB) Viewed 1808 times

Great photo for keeping away unwanted visitors! :lol:
Mishark

Postby sezze » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:15 pm

The carport is not real extravaganzz. It is basicly just the same building as the main house, only a lot smaller and is not going to be used soon as a carport . It is more a sitting , dining area and a motorbike parking spot ( nighttime ) . I can leave the straw hut in place but for the price and the looks an updatet version will be there .
The present and past bathroom is going to stay in place and was a idea from the family in case any parties , card evenings etc take place , they do not have to use the fancy bathroom i am building inside . I just told them to put it partially out of sight , which they did in the best spot possible . If the building for the rest is done , the walls of it are going to be changed by bricks and rendered and painted so that it matches the house and is a real Isaan outdoor toilet .
I just made up my mind about the outside "walkway "around the house and this is going to be the costly conwood or shera fake wood . This will cost me an extra 20 to 30 k but will be a major improvement on the looks of the house . This is the most used area of the house and i can imagine sitting half outside/ half inside watching a bit of tv or having a drink . For a house costing less then 500k or let's say 500k including outdoor arrangements it still is a bargain . The further i get to the finishline , the more extras i'm putting in :oops: 8) , but it adds to the appeal of the house .
sezze

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:04 am

sezze wrote:I just told them to put it partially out of sight , which they did in the best spot possible . If the building for the rest is done , the walls of it are going to be changed by bricks and rendered and painted so that it matches the house and is a real Isaan outdoor toilet .

I doubt they dug a real deep pit for it, perhaps 2 or 3 concrete rings. Unless it is way out far, that baby is going to reek like high murder after a few months of spicy kapi poop in there, seriously ruining your enjoyment of the outdoors - we have a similar staff toilet here and 10-20m away you get the smells, but its 70m from the house so ok, I will cover it with cubes of concrete when the time is up.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby sezze » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:57 pm

It is 3 cement rings , while my new one is 6 cement rings . It is in use everyday and is as big as the place where they used to live . This didn't smell and i guess this doesn't smell either . You only get a faint smell if somebody just went and flushed it and you are standing next to the septic pit itself . If the new one is installed there are not many people who are going to use the old toilet to s**t . As far as i know and been told, Thais use the French style toilet because it is the cheapest , they do love to sit also . It is like a second bathroom , only outside . I guess the smell will be no problem .
We had a few pigs in the past , and they do smell quite a lot more ... :lol: :mrgreen:
sezze

Postby koastal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Awesome build. Please check your PM :D
koastal

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story