Building holiday home near Udon

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building holiday home near Udon

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi ,
Like i said b4 in other posts i would start a topic here to give you info about my building . 1st of all i wish to tell you that this is a local house and not a high quality/standard building . Everything so far has been done by local builders and relatives , making the price cheap ( for Western standard ) .
I started with basically nothing , no architect plans , no licence etc . Such things are not needed here which makes things cheaper but not easier , or harder depending on how you look at it . Since i'm not an architect but i do have some technical skills , i did look around on the internet and decided to make a easy layout . Easy layouts are sturdier ( or should be ) and easier to build by the locals . Also i wanted the building to be as open as possible . Making it open has 2 benefits , making the wind go through , so i recon no aircon and 2th is that people tend to live outside most of the time anyway so it is easy to walk inside or outside anyway you want . Budgetplanning isnt really there but i do keep a close eye on the costs , for evey job i just look at the options i've got , making it as simple and sturdy as possible .
sezze

Re: Building holiday home near Udon

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:01 pm

Ok , now some pics ... hahah
land is raised and leveled to a level which would never have water problems .
Piles were put in place , and yes , these are standard cheap prefab columns . This might be not the strongest possible but by this i am quite sure that the quality offered is reasonably OK , and it does save on construction wood . Since i do have a standard layout , all the weight of the roof is always on all the columns , so no reason to be afraid of collapsing .
The level of the house is raised again by 2 stones ( about 40cm ) .Now the foundation is complete and 10cm concrete is poured in and left for a couple of months .
sezze

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:05 pm

When we started again ( i came back to Thailand ) , the next job was being done . A expensive item , the roof . 1st i wanted to go with the fibrecement plates , but after finding out on the steel sheet ( like colorbond ) i was quite certain a was going with that . The price of the 2 is nearly similar and the steel sheet looks nicer IMHO . It does have better thermal properties for sure . The roof construction by itself is made stronger then necessary out of steel , adding a bit to the cost but making it stronger in the long run ( yes i do know about the weakest link but making the material stronger is 1 link out of the way allready ) .
So a lot of steel delivered and this been degreased and painted a good as possible by local standards .
Here it is starting to look like a roof ...
nearly finished ...
and done .
Image.
sezze

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Ok , now we can start on the walls . Same like before , cheap and sturdy so no q-con but standard single wall breeze blocks . I needed to figure out the size of the big sliding doors which was quite a hassle . ( like i said b4 , having no architect is easier and more difficult at the same time , since i can change things at the moment i want to) .
Inside here .
And outside pics .
This is roughly where it is now . In the time i'm not there , there will be some more stones in place and around the house there will be a "walkway" or terras or how you call it .
Oh yes i did forget to tell the size ... 7m wide by 12m long . The roof goes out 80cm , and i did check the sunlight , we are nearly all day in the shadow of the roof . For the moment ( but it isn't the hot season ) the roof plates itself were reasonanly warm but on the floor it was nice . No noticable radiation from the roof down . Any reactions so far ???
sezze

Postby fredlk » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:21 pm

That looks like a really nice holiday home you're building. And not small either. When you are not living there will it be used by family?
fredlk

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:29 pm

fredlk wrote:That looks like a really nice holiday home you're building. And not small either. When you are not living there will it be used by family?

Yes , it will have 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom . The roof was expensive at just above the 100k mark everything included . I chosen a 0.35mm which was 125/130baht sq meter .
Next time , will be march /april the sliding doors are going in and the bathroom for a big part .
Costs so far are around 160k . First estimates for complete finish will be around 400.000 baht .
sezze

Postby kknaj » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:33 pm

Nice simple design and look. I like the large window/door openings? For a cheaper holiday home this would be just fine. I thought the roof would be a bit cheaper, but I see you have a very large roof with lots of steel. Your roof cost is similar to mine using cpac monier tiles.

Look forward to seeing the progress and costings of the various items.
kknaj

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Yep , a lot of big steel and certainly a lot more then needed . I could go with smaller steel or even just C section steel but i did choose this because of its own strength . The steel for the roof was 29000 baht. Choosing a thinner steel would probably bring me around the 20k mark which is a save of about 10k baht . This steel might rust here and there in 10 years or even 20 years but it will be more then powerfull enough to keep the low weight of the steel sheets above it . The steel sheets were the expensive item , not a sqm but i needed a lot more then i thought i would need .
sezze

Postby geordie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 am

definately a nice project and looks like its going to be sturdy will follow with interest the cost even is reasonable and by the way i used the pre fab colums found them ok but more to the point quick
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:20 am

Place looks good and like the detial pictures at each stage of the build so far, pity we will have to wait a few more months for the next stage. I think you will have a nice low cost place when it is finished and you should be in you budget looking at what is remaining.
pattayapope

Postby sezze » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:14 pm

thx for the replies 8) .
The endprice of 400k is indeed very possible but i still have some major expenses .
Tilework , i count at 500 baht sqm ... 50k
windows and doors , i hope less then 75k , but might be up to nearly 100k , all depending on different factors . Let's say 100k is absolute max .
elec 15k
kitchen ( basic ) 15k
bathroom 50k
ceiling work .. still a huge question , if i will go for open ceiling ( nr1 ) or closed which will be a lot cheaper .
Rendering of the walls ... should be cheap .
Allways some minor bits and pieces driving the price up . Next time will allready be a huge factor since i will have the outside doors and windows and a big part of the bathroom . Both of which i will not make huge concessions on ( meaning higher then standard ) .
sezze

Postby runker » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:41 am

Besides looking nice, does the layered roof have a purpose vs. a single plane? I really like metal roofs like the one you have installed.
runker

Postby sezze » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:08 am

runker wrote:Besides looking nice, does the layered roof have a purpose vs. a single plane? I really like metal roofs like the one you have installed.

In this case it has no other function then looking nice . You can however make it having a ventilation function . In this case the boards in the middle and bottom are Shera wood ( well not wood :mrgreen: ) . If you want to , you can buy them with vent holes inside , or you let let your creativity run free , since you can cut/drill or make other holes in it .
The design idea ( like i said , i am not a architect , but i do look around on the internet ) comes from this place
http://www.plumeriaplace.net/villa.htm . Making it a bit simpler but still looking good . The color i chose because i saw some schools in Udon having it and it looked really nice and wasn't too dark ( heat as you know ... ) . The doubt was there for going darker to chocolat brown but i was afraid it might get very hot . The red/brown did fit perfect and i am happy with the result .
sezze

Postby pattayapope » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:12 am

Sezze

Agree you are on a tight budget but for floor area of 84 m2 you have a budget of about 4750 per m2 which is quite feasable. I think your budget for tiles is a little on the high side but the rest looks resonable. My tiles are all good quaility on my build and most cost less than 150 baht m2. Not sure if you have a Global House in the area but they have a good range and good prices. I would not expect it would cost more than 150 baht m2 for materials and labour to install, so 250 - 300 baht should be OK budget.
pattayapope

Postby phayakk2012 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Looking very good. This should be a quick build for you. I like your choice on the roof, it adds alot to the place already. Hope the rest goes as planed for you. Tim
phayakk2012

Next

Return to Your Building Story