Building a house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 baht

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 baht

Postby martin b » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:04 am

Sorry mate, toe space should be about 100mm high by 50mm deep. :oops:
martin b

Postby kknaj » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 am

Long time I haven't posted. Just to give an up date. The house was sold 6 months ago. If I were to build it again I would use this floor plan. Because the living room doesn't need to be 5m wide and the bedroom doesn't need to be that big either. so I would use the following plan to make the house more cozy and reach a price point closer to 900,000 baht. The living room should be 4m wide or 3.7m wide. Any of the rooms can be adjusted slightly. The bedroom should be 3.5m wide x 4m long. The carport roof could be done with a steel roof sloping and use plastic see through material or a steel material. The back dinning area could be done the same. The overall look would be the same too. The front porch should be maximum 2.4m wide not 2.5 because the fiber board on the front fascia has a maximum length of 2.4m
Attachments
house 1 floor plan small_1.jpg
kknaj

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Welcome back! ~ we missed you on here....
Whats the plan for the next build?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby kknaj » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:28 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:Welcome back! ~ we missed you on here....
Whats the plan for the next build?

Thanks Max,

No immediate plan for the next build but I'm still interested in construction and design in the future. Out of all the work I've done over the years I like designing and building houses the most. So I will be looking out for opportunities in the future. I still enjoy working on future designs and visiting quality building development villages and apartments. There are quite a few great designs around. I will enjoy designing and building a dream home one day for myself.

Keep in touch. And if you are headed Bangkok way anytime let me know.
kknaj

Postby elgato » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:36 am

Welcome back. Any particular reason on your specific measurements?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby erikr69 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 am

good to see you back, see the changes you made. Think I liked the corner terrace better
erikr69

Postby kknaj » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:18 pm

elgato wrote:Welcome back. Any particular reason on your specific measurements?

Not too big, not to small, just right for Goldie Locks. These are all medium sized big enough to have double beds and closets in the bedrooms. Full lounge set ups in the living dinning area. Etc.
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

erikr69 wrote:good to see you back, see the changes you made. Think I liked the corner terrace better

Yes, I like it too but it also makes the whole project more expensive. For those with 1,100,000+ to spend on just the house build they could do that.
kknaj

Postby mrbojangles » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm

As you have done, I am considering framing my windows with something similar to what you have used below. Could you please tell me how you attached them to the walls? Is there a special cement/bond/adhesive and do you also rawl plug and screw them into position?

IMG_3879_small.jpg
mrbojangles

Postby kknaj » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Mr. Bojangles,

They attach them by screwing holes in the wall and cement frames and insert some kind of plug so the screws will stay in place. Then they use cement or gap sealer around the edges to cover the gaps.

If you plan to install bars later then I recommend 5-10cm gap between the window edge and the cement frame (I didnt do this which means if the owner want to install bars later they will have to do it in a more complicated way.) We went with the 6cm wide frame. You may want to go with an even wider frame 6-8cm. The cost goes up incrementally.

You can also put a frame piece only across the top or top and bottom if you are on a tighter budget. I know most of the building companies do this these days. Depends on the style and your preferences.
kknaj

Postby mrbojangles » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Many thanks kknaj. Seems simple enough to fit and they really look good when finished. I won't be fitting bars, so I'll probably go for the 6mm also.
mrbojangles

Postby phoenixboy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 am

Hi kknaj,

Just came across this site today and have finished your comprehensive reporting on your recent build.

You have done a fantastic job with not only the house but reporting on same. As i will be starting something similar very soon but with the intention of living in it i want to say that you have my head spinning with all sorts of ideas.

Thanks again for a fantastic report.
phoenixboy

Postby gliffaes » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:27 pm

kknaj wrote:Even if they are not straight like ours you dont notice it once tiled. You just custom cut the floor tiles to match the wall. The only way to notice the non straight walls is to use a string across the room.

I never notice it when walking into the bathroom. I only know about it because some floor tiles had to be redone to match the slight curve.

I've noticed in some DIY videos from Australia they also start about 80cm off the ground when doing wall tiling. Not sure why exactly but there must be some technical reason behind it.

Dont know if this has been answered or not but as I do a lot of tiling whats normal in the UK is first you set out the tiles to correct heights distances top to bottom left to right then FASTEN a wooden batten across the wall at a certain height off the floor and lay the first row of tiles on that. The reason is all the bottom row normally have to be cut, the floor is never 100% level and even 1 mm out can make problems later.
The batten is the prefect level and you go up from this+ it stops the tiles sliding down the wall until the glue is set.
Work up to the ceiling then remove the batten and cut the last bottom row.
gliffaes

Postby kknaj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:49 pm

Thanks for that info. Makes good sense. I hope my next project will have a much better bathroom than I did on this house.
kknaj

Postby sailingbill » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:43 pm

KKnaj, had a bit of a panic , i sign on to read your excellent building story frequently. Didn't see it in the usual place and thought it deleted. I plan to build the same house in Roi Et next year after i retire. Im in the states now. Back n Roi Et in November.
Sorry if this has been asked and i missed it but could you suggest an Architect, perhaps in KK that could draw the plans for me.
I have a friend there so visiting is not a problem. Thanks Bill
sailingbill

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story