Building a house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 baht

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 baht

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Howdy, any progress with the selling?
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby erikr69 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:02 pm

Was wondering the same kknaj<edited out first-name, please use poster's registered name - moderator>, how are you doing in the sales area. I know you were very optimistic to sell, any success story to share?
erikr69

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:14 pm

erikr69 wrote:Was wondering the same kknaj<edited out first-name, please use poster's registered name - moderator>, how are you doing in the sales area. I know you were very optimistic to sell, any success story to share?

I tried calling kknaj on his mobile but its either switched off or disconnected - maybe a case of take the money and run, or maybe on vacation, both cases i fully understand.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby erikr69 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:33 am

well lets not think to negative. He may have bought an Iphone from the profit and have a new number. You should have seen his old phone :D
erikr69

Postby kknaj » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 am

lol, nothing that drastic Max, Actually we are waiting on payment. Most thais dont have borrowing power at this end of the market. So many want it but cant afford it. Explains why most thai houses are built so cheap. Most want to pay about 1.8 mil for 1 level house and 2.3-2.4 for 2 level house. Of course there are many thais that buy more expansive houses but usually in the development villages not so much in this area where we built.

Lessons learned are many. For your own houses build good quality, if you are building for a thai build supper cheap and make it look pretty. price first then appearance and last... quality.

Still planning the next house, land has come and gone so dont have certainty on what the next project will be. Would depend on the land size. I've drawn up quiet a few ideas but it changes each time we plan to buy land.

Couple of interesting stories:

The stain had continued to come out of the skirting board wood and up the walls and few cm in some places, primer was not enough to seal it so eventually had to use "Shallacks" wood sealer on the wall in some places. This is the main ingredient in stain block paint in the west yet cant find it anywhere in KK so I had to paint the areas with shallacks directly, then oil undercoat, then wall coat.

The grass was finally looking nice and green yet overgrown in some places so I asked my gf to call a gardener. The gardener came out to the house when my gf and her sister were there but I wasnt, who needs to supervise cutting grass you might ask? Well when i came out the next day i found he had cut the grass as short as golf putting green. Yet it was brown in many places due to underneath the nice green grass was not as green as the top. So now its very patchy brown and green with the green starting to grow again while the brown areas are playing dead. Will take a while to look totally green again. But i guess it looks ok.

So in thailand looks like you have to specify how short you want your grass (putting green shaved or just trimmed?)

The woman who wanted her 10,000 baht deposit back which was spent on her extra requests kept at us for a while, calling my gf top boss, calling the police, calling the government trade office, each time she had to go explain the situation, the woman didnt turn up to the last meeting and hasnt called since. Unbelievable.

I've been keeping up weekly on the site reading but haven't had much to say while waiting for the payment on the house. I just hope some have learned from my story and can use some, colours, design or garden ideas.

If anyone has further questions please PM me, not put private questions or sale questions on here :) thanks.
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:15 am

Max&Bee-in-CM wrote:
I tried calling kknaj on his mobile but its either switched off or disconnected - maybe a case of take the money and run, or maybe on vacation, both cases i fully understand.

Hi Max,

My number is the same dont know why it didnt go through, To my knowledge it should be working fine, if it doesnt work again please pm me to let me know. I still use the same 900 baht phone, if i bought an Iphone id probably fall into it and not come out - like some people i've seen, on it 50% of the day. i'll just be happy with a new laptop since this one is 4 years old and keeps overheating.
kknaj

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:14 am

kknaj wrote:For your own houses build good quality, if you are building for a thai build supper cheap and make it look pretty. price first then appearance and last... quality.

Hey, you are beginning to sound as cynical as me ~ but I do believe once you go through a project here you see the true reality of how things works & people behave, not a sugar coated perspective of a tourist or new arrival. Right there inside the belly of the beast fighting the good fight for what you know is right.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby erikr69 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:32 am

I think we had the discussion before, keep the budget in mind. But you had your reasons for doing things the quality standard you wanted and ended up with a very nice house. Look forward to your next project.
erikr69

Postby dentum » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:25 pm

hello eric 69, i am a new user on this site i have been lookin at your house build and was wondering where i could obtain some plans to build a house that is similar to yours?
dentum

Postby elgato » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:53 am

Just finished your post. Great read and encouragement to others including myself. :D
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:23 pm

dentum wrote:hello eric 69, i am a new user on this site i have been lookin at your house build and was wondering where i could obtain some plans to build a house that is similar to yours?

you can purchase house plan magazines and books in any thai bookshop (like in tesco/big charlie malls) for 200-300 baht or so - they have everything from 50 sqm chicken coups to bangkok hi-so mansions complete with copy David's at the front.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby mrbojangles » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:45 pm

kknaj wrote:The stain had continued to come out of the skirting board wood and up the walls and few cm in some places, primer was not enough to seal it so eventually had to use "Shallacks" wood sealer on the wall in some places. This is the main ingredient in stain block paint in the west yet cant find it anywhere in KK so I had to paint the areas with shallacks directly, then oil undercoat, then wall coat.

Hi kknaj,

Firstly, congrats on a great looking house.

For sealing stains, I have always found the best way is just simply Gloss over the affected area and then emulsion over the top. The Gloss is oil based, so seals it fine. No need to go and find special products. Just a tip that I got given from a decorator in the UK and has always worked for me.
mrbojangles

Re: Kitchen

Postby mrbojangles » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:46 pm

kknaj wrote:Today the builders were working on many different parts of the house at the same time. A couple of the guys put together the kitchen benches form work and poured the cement. One side has 3m for sink and cooking. The other side is 2m for plate setting, preparations etc. There is also a 1m gap for a fridge. No built-ins above the pre bench will be put in place my gf says. If we were it would have some sure brand white laminate units for around 4000 baht each. I think i would have put about 4 up covering that whole wall and smaller cabinets above the fridge space. Would have cost around 16,000 baht. The rest of the kitchen benches will be tiles in whitish large tiles to minimize gaps with grouting. We have already purchased the lower cabnet doors at home pro for 1700 each x 3. plus a 3000 baht draw unit for knives and forks etc.

Sorry I have posted this question twice in the hope that someone reads and responds to one of the threads.

From the picture posted in this thread. Does anyone know the finished height from the floor tiles to the surface top of the Thai style kitchen. I think in the UK the finished height is about 900mm but not sure of the brick built units and concrete top. I need to call Thailand to tell them my kitchen window sizes but want to make sure they build them high enough.
Attachments
IMG_3640_small.jpg
IMG_3640_small.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
mrbojangles

Postby runker » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:24 pm

How high would you like them to be. I'm 6'3" and my wife is 5'3" and we seem to be able to manage with a counter top of 36" which is standard here. The pass through bar is 44" and that is also a good height for me to work at but too high for my wife. I will sometimes sit on a stool and work at the island which is also 36" . So, since you're really having a custom made product built for you why not get what you want.
runker

Postby martin b » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 am

Hi mrbojangles, I would stick to your hight of 900mm as it is a comfortable hight to work at but, ask your builder to put in a toe space at the plinth so that whoever is at the sink or worktop is in a more comfortable position, i've seen many kitchens in Thailand without this and it puts a lot of strain on your back.

As for your window hight i would go 100mm above the worktop; so 1000mm from your finished floor level inside the kitchen.
cheers. martin b
martin b

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story