Building a house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 baht

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a house in Khon Kaen for 800,000 baht

Postby kknaj » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi Bill,

Glad you liked the design. I'm in Australia at the moment and don't know the contact details of the architect. However I can tell you that he was an experienced government official in uniform and we paid 10,000 baht for the 20 pages of detailed plan. I gave him the rough floor plan and he put it all together. We found him by searching for architects in Khon Kaen or someone who can help put through a house building loan and plans. I believe there are a lot of architects around that can do the exact same thing. Showing them the rough floor plans and pictures and they can do it again. I would make it slightly smaller though as shown on the last page.
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:23 pm

Can't beleive its been 4 years since my build. I see there are plenty new builds around! :) Some with nice colours and gardens!!! :D
kknaj

Postby kknaj » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:31 pm

I'm in Sakon Nakhon now with someone new and a 1 year old baby daughter. We have been building a mushroom farm for the last 2 years and finally we might start making money for my next build. If anyone is interested in a farm building story drop some feedback. Otherwise will be a few months for a shipping container house/office build coming up.
Attachments
Photo1552.jpg
Farm Toilet half built
Photo1551.jpg
Mushroom farm working area
Photo1518.jpg
Mushroom farm from main road
kknaj

Postby MGV12 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:39 pm

kknaj wrote:I'm in Sakon Nakhon now with someone new and a 1 year old baby daughter. We have been building a mushroom farm for the last 2 years and finally we might start making money for my next build. If anyone is interested in a farm building story drop some feedback. Otherwise will be a few months for a shipping container house/office build coming up.

Welcome back ... and congrats on the mini-kknaj

Always interested in farm stuff [that actually works] and see mushrooms as a potential money-spinner ... spill the beans. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Yes welcome back.

May want to start a new thread for a new life. Indeed life goes on things don't seem to work out as plan but as they say "onward and upward". Mushroom farm sounds like just the story CTH needs.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Klondyke » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:50 pm

kknaj wrote:I'm in Sakon Nakhon... We have been building a mushroom farm for the last 2 years and finally we might start making money for my next build.

Surprised to hear that mushrooms can be grown in Isaan. Isn't it too hot for them? I had seen few farms at higher levels off Chiang Mai, Haet Hom, an interesting process. You obviously have got other species for an warmer ambiente. Surely, a nice activity. Good Luck
Klondyke

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:31 pm

kknaj wrote:I'm in Sakon Nakhon now with someone new and a 1 year old baby daughter.

Welcome back. As a birthday present for your daughter here's something she might like to read when she's taking over the farm; http://mushroominfo.com/growing-mushroo ... m-farming/
If you are having difficulty finding a market for them, try Tops, Villa, Big C Extra and Lotus (all imported), then of course there's all the hotels that import them all as well. And then of course there's the airline industry.
It's a great project that has enormous potential, just guard against the Thai workers learning all the trade secrets or you'll have 100 competitors in a month. Be careful you don't gas the workers with the methane.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:49 am

Klondyke wrote:
kknaj wrote:I'm in Sakon Nakhon... We have been building a mushroom farm for the last 2 years and finally we might start making money for my next build.

Surprised to hear that mushrooms can be grown in Isaan. Isn't it too hot for them? I had seen few farms at higher levels off Chiang Mai, Haet Hom, an interesting process. You obviously have got other species for an warmer ambiente. Surely, a nice activity. Good Luck

Near us there are a few mushroom farms, so ie seems that heat isn't a factor, dark and moisture are of course. SWMBO is thinking of doing them herself. We have some pictures somewhere that I can look out if anyone is really interested.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Klondyke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote: If you are having difficulty finding a market for them, try Tops, Villa, Big C Extra and Lotus (all imported), then of course there's all the hotels that import them all as well. And then of course there's the airline industry.

It's a great project that has enormous potential, just guard against the Thai workers learning all the trade secrets or you'll have 100 competitors in a month. Be careful you don't gas the workers with the methane.

It is not that easy to sell something to such big name companies in Thailand, even if you offer it for half the price they are paying.

And of course, the neighbours always learn what the other do and if it is good they will jump on the band wagon very fast. First time when I saw such farms was some 25 years ago, running by Taiwanese in partnership with Thais. And of course other mushroom farms in the area had sprouted very fast like mushrooms. And many of them also later had collapsed again as we often see in Thailand.

However, the demand for mushrooms is surely growing in all market levels of Thailand and for export too.
Klondyke

Postby kknaj » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll start posting the story shortly. I'll save the answers to the questions about mushrooms for the new thread.
kknaj

Previous

Return to Your Building Story