In the works

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

In the works

Postby phayakk2012 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:56 pm

This is an idea of what I hope to have finished the end of oct. I have only been able to be there Twice since we started everthing else is done on the phone. I am luckey the wife has a cousin that tries to keep the build within my standards. I will see when I get there not soon enough.
sc00149ad5.jpg
side.jpg
side.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
sc0014afe8.jpg
Attachments
front.jpg
phayakk2012

Re: In the works

Postby phayakk2012 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:37 am

Morning all had some time to kill at work so I will add some pics. We bought 4 rai in 07 1100 trk loads of fill later and 2 years for settling we begun this house in April this year. I did the a rough plans myself and found a contractor in Satuk, he tweaked the plans to Thai standards of understanding. After a lot of disscusion we settled on the plans are free if he does the build. We worked out 2 mil for all with out any cabinets in the kitchen, which I would like to do my self. So far every thing is on track. I have included pics of the one wall we had to do before start it is both retainer and a boundry. I was lucky in finding a good builder for this he understood that I wanted no falling over job. I showed him how I wanted 45 deg angle bracing for strength. They are placed every 2.5 m where the wall is retaining and 5m used as just border. Yes I used this fourm a lot in the last 2 years to learn dos and dont's. So I thank all of you posters for the great contributions here. Tim
inside 3.jpg
inside 3.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
inside2.jpg
inside2.jpg (22.37 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (21.74 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
wall2.jpg
wall2.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
wall 1.jpg
wall 1.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
phayakk2012

Postby pattayapope » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:08 pm

Looks like your place is comming on fine, looking at the floor plan it is a fair size with something in the region of 350 M2 and the price of 2 million seems a very good price for that size area. Is the builder supplying everything i.e tiles windows, doors ect, a friend recons the cost for building alone is 5 to 6 K M2 for western quality without too much high dollar fittings and fixtures. So you have got yourself a very nice place for the money, I doubt the builder is making much money on the build.

My build cost about 13 k m2 and except for the fittings most of the rest is quite standard price materials, my builder does good work but he cannot be called cheap by any standards. I would use him again but would have a much better detailed plan as I think his extras are a bit on the greedy side. As long as the foundations are solid the only thing I worry about with Thai construction is the electrical and plumbing , so hope he has made a good job of those.

Please paste some moer pictures when you get time

PS were is you place?

Regards

Pattayapope
pattayapope

Postby phayakk2012 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:43 am

Located 1 hour north of Buriram. That is price for all and yes the builder has just figured out he is not making any money. Good for me that he wrote it so any thing I want to up grade I get money back. Like inside doors he allowed 2500 bt per door I picked out better ones that I liked at 2600 per door, so I got what to me is better quality and to my likeness for 100bt.
014.jpg
backside.jpg
phayakk2012

Postby pattayapope » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:33 am

Keep the pictures comming, one thing I find the Thai builders do not excel at is plumbing and wiring so you need to keep a close eye on the job when this is going on as you man will try to cut corners to save money.
pattayapope

Postby crossy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Yeah ^^^, do keep the pictures coming and don't forget to post the disasters (there will be disasters) too, all makes good information for others.
crossy

Postby phayakk2012 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:28 pm

So far so good. I won't be able to get any new pics untill I get back in Nov. It was hard enough to teach the wife how to use Yahoo. Not even going to get in to downloading pics and sending. Like I said I do have a really good guy to run things when I am not there. Father inlaw is the local sparky but not on my place so he keeps on eye on them. The only thing that worrys me now is the lights not hung yet, tile, and bath room fixtures still wating for builder to provide crews. I got a feeling he has figured out he was off on figures and is low on cash. All I can do is hang on to the last payment till complete, wife said she is not parting with the money to up to her standards. Best of luck to all. Tim
phayakk2012

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Hi,

The picture you have "front.jpg", looking at the roof, I cannot see any trusses. Maybe just the
picture resolution is not good enough.

I am battling to fix a roof originally made with no trusses - it is now being converted into a truss
design. You may want to investigate.

Our designs are a little bit similar, I like it!

Good luck
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby dozer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:04 pm

I am battling to fix a roof originally made with no trusses - it is now being converted into a truss
Most houses based on columns on a 4 to 5 meter grid do not employ a truss system, they just use the columns as an intermediate support point. In general a truss structure becomes necessary to support a roof where there are spans greater than that.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:09 pm

dozer wrote:
Most houses based on columns on a 4 to 5 meter grid do not employ a truss system, they just use the columns as an intermediate support point. In general a truss structure becomes necessary to support a roof where there are spans greater than that.

Good point - but I was looking at the dining room which appears to have an open area of 6.5 m X 7.5 m, and
also the living room, which has a 7.5 m span.

My 8 m (or so) span in the living room is where the sagging began. Just depends how much wight is pressing
down on that point. Our one has alot unfortunately.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby phayakk2012 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:13 am

Hello Max and Bee; I posted this pic to help. In the floor plan they neglected to show one up right in the dining room the other is inthe wall between dining and living room. So I have one exposed up right in the dining. But to cover those spans you can see they they used double tubing 2 X 5 in welded together on the bottoms. I was able to go threw after and any place I did feel had enough support added more steel about 4000bt more I purchased and they installed. Thank you Dozer for your explanation. Good News They showed up to install lights and celing fans today and delivered bath tiles.
from the front.jpg
phayakk2012

Postby pattayapope » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Been quite for a while, how is it comming on? would like to see some pictures but understand you won't be back until next month.
pattayapope

Postby phayakk2012 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:40 am

Yes still at it sorry no pic till I get there. Wife reports they finised all elec yesterday, she is amased by all the celing fans. Have one crew finising up the stone work on the outside of foundation. All tile in main rooms complete, bath rooms going slow still no toilets or sinks installed. After that just last coat of paint, base boards , trim work and hang doors. We will see only 18 days left on contract completion. Iam just going crazy not being there. Take care to all. Tim
phayakk2012

Postby pattayapope » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Tim

When you back? I would like to see how the place turned out and hope it meets your expectations
pattayapope

Postby phayakk2012 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:18 pm

Hello to all fly out of the KSA the 9th back on the 2nd of Dec. Wife said all went good on final closing and builder gave me back money for every thing I up graded. Figured it would be hard, but I know what its like to get between wife and her money. Open house on the 16th of Nov, all welcome. If in the area SMS me 966 54 271 3387. Take care.Tim
phayakk2012

Next

Return to Your Building Story