Tropical Building in the Philippines

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Tropical Building in the Philippines

Postby Johan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm a South African, and trying to build a house in the Philippines. My wife is from there...

This page will develop very slowly, please bear with me..... Nothing happens fast in Bohol. It took us 8 months to locate all the "siblings" to get their premission to by the land.
DSCN0289.JPG
0.3 Hectar, Cambuyo, Bohol
Johan

Re: Tropical Building in the Philippines

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Johan wrote:This page will develop very slowly, please bear with me..... Nothing happens fast in Bohol.

We have all the time in the world. :)
In all of the warmer parts of Asia (and Africa) things happen slowly and I am all for this slower pace. Good luck and don't forget to ask lots of questions.
fredlk

Postby Johan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Fredlk, thanks for your reply.

Just got a reply from the architect in the Philippines, and maybe some one can explain to me the following... He cant start the blue print drawings till he have the Title deed of the property. The barangay (village) where we bought the land has no Title Deeds, You buy land there with a tax certificate and letter of permission from the Barangay Captain. The Barangay is earmarked for Title deeds in the future, no specific date yet.

We are in the process of sending surveyor to survey the land on our own expense and file for Title deed before building will start.

All I needed was that he do the drawings for me from a rough floor plan that I send to him, and he can't ......!!!
Johan

Postby fredlk » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Johan wrote:He cant start the blue print drawings till he have the Title deed of the property.

I don't know how the law works in the Philippines, but it might be that he wants to check that you have the right to build on that piece of land.
fredlk

Postby Johan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:57 pm

He had the tax certification plus the letter from the Barabgay captain. Thx for your reply...

I have the time and patient.... Long in Africa all ready... not to get upset about it.
Johan

Postby Johan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Need a bit information. Will dry walls work in a tropical climate.(interior)
Johan

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:00 am

Johan wrote:Need a bit information. Will dry walls work in a tropical climate.(interior)

Here in Thai they mostly do render to the inside walls, and drywall/plasterboard for the ceiling.

I have queried as well about using plasterboard for the walls, as I like the smooth and warm finish
and look of it, however its not something done here due to ants/termites, and the humidity, plus
its hard to find the workers who have experience with plasterboard walls (if its not laid professionally
it looks awful at night with lighting, you can see all the imperfections and crookedness).

So I gave up on the idea, and will use render, but with the finest grain to make it smooth - also a
few coats of good quality paint will help to cover the grain, and hopefully get a smooth finish.

One last point, laying brickwork and render (inside and outside) is quoted at 50 baht per metre sqr,
which is very cheap - I imagine the plasterboard installation + material costs will be much higher.

Here was my discussion topic about this....

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1992
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Johan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks Max

I appreciate your reply, everything is still in the design stages, and what make it so difficult is I'm still in Africa working :lol: . The biggest reason why I want to do drywall or as its call their Hardieflex is the poor quality of hollow blocks that's available there.
Johan

Postby Johan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:07 am

Visio-huisphUPPER.pdf
Basic layout of upper level
(26.03 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

As always open for comments
Johan

Postby Johan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:12 am

Visio-huisphLOWER.pdf
Ground level
We still deciding on type of doors and windows
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Johan

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:19 pm

Johan wrote:Thanks Max

I appreciate your reply, everything is still in the design stages, and what make it so difficult is I'm still in Africa working :lol: . The biggest reason why I want to do drywall or as its call their Hardieflex is the poor quality of hollow blocks that's available there.

Hi, by hollow blocks do you mean bricks with holes in them? If so, over here you can ask the builders to put sand or
cement into the holes, to make the bricks stronger. One of our workers suggested putting sand in the double wall cavity
for insulation and strength as well (although not sure about ants and other insects!).

As render is quite cheap, it may be easier to render the walls first, then if you really hate the look/quality, then put
plasterboard on. Benefit is, the render will add 2-3 cm or so of strength to the wall.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Johan » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:02 pm

Max thanks for the advice, my idea was to use hollow blocks for all the outside walls and drywall for the inside walls.
Johan

Postby Pluma » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:19 am

Hi
I am quite familiar with building in the Philippines.
The cement hollow blocks (CHB) are quite fragile, as they stretch it to the limit in making them.
They then quick dry them in the sun.
My advice, buy the form and make your own. Use clean sand and water, cure them correctly, and
you will have a very strong CHB.
You can check out my website: http://paradisefound.50webs.com/

Almost always, the hollow blocks are filled with cement to add strength. This is in
addition to rebar being placed both vertically and horizontally. Most walls are not
load bearing, so strength is not critical. You just do not want it to fall over.
Do not fill with sand or dirt - you will have an ant problem for sure.

As for interior walls, I have not seen drywall used. You could use hardiflex or even
luan plywood. Our main house we live in has plywood for all the bedroom walls. The
frame work is 2X2 and is finshed both sides with marine 1/4 inch plywood. Many houses
use wood for interior walls.

There is some more info on my Philippine building forum (modeled after this forum).
http://www.rpbuilders.byethost13.com/forum/

Also, the main page has links to some good info.
http://rpbuilders.byethost13.com/
Pluma

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am

Pluma thank you for posting your build story and the links it is quite different from what most are doing here.

I’m sure your BIL and his family are enjoying what would be a step up for them.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Johan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:40 pm

Pluma, thx for your respond
Johan

Return to Your Building Story