5 year Building plan in Huay Yai Chonburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

5 year Building plan in Huay Yai Chonburi

Postby pattayapope » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:43 pm

My Build is now almost completed and I have learned some usfull tips from posts on this web site and talking with friends doing similar projects

I have started to creat my gallery and will post some details in the comming weeks. Below I think is a link to my gallery (I hope!)

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... ?album=162
pattayapope

Re: 5 year Building plan in Huay Yai Chonburi

Postby fredlk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:53 pm

It all looks quite beautiful ... and big.
What size is your land?
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Excellent project and thank you for posting the pictures. :)

Now I know what you have been doing for the past five years. :D :D

:D A job well done. :D

Please tell us more. :P
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:51 pm

The land is just under 3 rai and consist of 4 land deeds, one deed is the entrance strip which is 6 meters by 35 meters and the main plot is two deeds about 45 meters by 80 meters and the last deed is the ajoining piece which is about 35 meters by 30 meters. The land is L shaped with the section at the side with fruit trees and a maids bungalow.

When I purchased the land it was over grown and contained a lot of old coconut trees (40 feet high) and was uneven with one area about a meter lower than the rest. I brought in the digger and bulldozer for initial clearing before I had the wall built. After the wall was built I graded the land and dug the pond and the soil I removed was used to level off the land.

The first build was a small shed for the watering system and I had a well bored (35 meter) and I got a temporary supply to supply the well pump and sprinkler system. Next came the gazebo and a concrete road to the main entrance road, and a proper power system to the small shed. My concept was to establish the garden ASAP so I spent time planting trees ect and planning my next phase whilst sitting in the gazebo on weekends. Knowing the mess builders make I decided to build the two guest bungalows and the maids house next and work towards the gate as the building progressed.

I spent a long time thinking about the main house and eventually made a floor plan, my requirements were that all bedrooms had a patio door and access from inside the house so one wing has a corridoor and the other has an entrance from the TV lounge. I also decided to have two outside toilets and one with a shower to service the pool. At the time I could not decide what I wanted for the pool but did not want it too close to the house. If I built again I would probably only have one outside toilet as there is also one at the pool, but the simitry of the house was a deciding factor at the time.

Some friends who had their house built and used Architects and Consultants did not have very good opinions of them as they were either too expense, never there or trying to get extra money by working deals with sub contractors so I decided to do without and as the bulder I used has a good reputation for quality I just gave him the floor plan and a basic spec of what I wanted and he got a set of simple plans and made a model of the house and we made a deal with materials and labour.

I looked at the house he built for my friend next door and he made a mess of the electrical and the plumbing was pretty poor so I made special plans for the plunmbing and changed to a fusion welded PVC pipe (green) material (the first extra!). For the electrical I designed it myself and got a good electrician and he gave me a quote for labour only and I bought all the materials. I made a spreadsheet to calculate all the materials I needed and put each material cost and it calculated how much I needed and cost, it worked out pretty accurate in the end.

The house contract was 10 months but he could of built it in 6, it is raised 50 cm above the ground, I wanted it higher but it would not of looked right as the windows would be looking over the wall into next door. All the exterior colums are 20 cm and the exterior wall is 20 cm Q-con blocks, interior walls are a mixture of 15 cm and 10 cm. I have a 4 meter high ceiling in the living room with recessed lights and the rest are 2.8 meters. I installed a security and CCTV system during the house build and have full cover of the outside of the house (9 cameras) and keypad security panels at three locations. Except for the doors and frames there is vertually no wood used in the house although I plan to fit skirting boards in th enext ew months (the builder wanted 450 baht a meter).

The last part of the build which started this year was the pool, pump room\shed and carport, I contracted Home and Pool to build the pool and surround and my builder built the shed carport. The last work to do is the drive which should be done in a couple of weekends as I have paid off the builder and hired one of his workers as my gardener handyman. I also have the garden lights and perimeter lighting to install and again I will do this with my handyman and funature and fittings inside. I am having a set custom built for the master bedroom and a bar\counter built for the main lounge the rest I will try and get stuff off the shelf.

I posted a few more pictures this morning and will try an post some more to show different parts of the land.
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 pm

That is quite some wall you have there. Is it faced with stone or is it built from stone?
I plan to build a similar wall between the 2 sections of garden, but it will have to be reinforced to hold the 120 centimetres of earth above it.
I also like the rocks you have in your garden. I will be looking for similar once the buildings are complete.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:46 pm

The wall is built only with stone, no steel reinforcing. They dig a trench about 350 wide and 500 deep and fill it with rocks and ruble and then fill with concrete, then they place the rocks with the flat surface out and fill in the middle with rubble and small rocks. I guess my wall is four years old now and has a couple of places which need refacing. The builder made one 3 meters high for his house and some parts of mine are 3 meters because of the original slope of the land. A friend is getting one built and I think he said it was the same price as I paid 900 baht a square meter or 2250 a linear meter for a two meter high wall. One thing the land must be well compacted. They could also face an existing wall which is how it was done on the edge of the pool. If you need a contact let me know, another outfit wanted 2000 baht a square meter, they leave a bit of a mess when they have finished so be expected to get a back hoe in to clean it up or make sure it is in the price and don't pay them until you are satisfied.
pattayapope

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:01 pm

The rocks are all shipped down from Kanchanaburi, if you take the road North out of the town to Sisawat after you drive about 10 klm you reach a place called Latyar and there are several places who sell all types and sizes of stones and can arrange shipping to Sattahip for about 10 - 12,000 baht for a truck with a Hiab. They are not cheap but make the difference with a nice garden, my friend bought some from a local granite quarry but they were expensive and just rough stones, thye are all cleaned and polished. The table and chairs in the gazebo cost me 16,000 baht + transport

Gazebo.JPG
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:16 pm

That wall is really something. Very, very imposing and goes with the garden.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

pattayapope wrote:The rocks are all shipped down from Kanchanaburi,

Thanks. I have seen stones and rocks for sale all along the back roads in Sattahip and Huay Yai, but I knew already that they would be pricey.
It will be another couple of years at least before I want to plant them.
There are some on the hill behind me and I might just roll those down to my land, but I think that they belong to the Royal Thai Navy. :D
fredlk

Postby Nawty » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:56 pm

Nice gardens, pond and pool.

The house style is not my type, but looks like you got what you want and nice job.

Do the neighbours like their new free fence ??

Great looking fence.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby pattayapope » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:33 am

The neighbours to one side back filled their land after the wall was built and built two small Thai bungalows not a real problem except I get water seepage thru from their land during heavy rain. During construction I gave them some rice and noodles and told them sorry for any inconvienance caused by noise and dust. They seem OK, but in one corner is an old woman who is not 100% and she used to walk along the wall and sometimes come into the garden and she took some rice which we had in the kitchen. My gardener who lives in the village talked to the Phu Yai Ban and he went round and took the ladder away so she can't get up anymore. When I move in I will get some dogs but I don't want to put wire or broken glass on the wall to deter unwanted visitors.
pattayapope

Postby pattayapope » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Started the final touches and put the granite chips on the drive last week, I tried an unusual method which I hope will work OK, initially I leveled the ground then put a chanel in the center and filled with granite chips to act as a French drain all the way to the outer gate where I burried a 6" PVC pipe with slits in covered with granite chips (this pipe is connected to the drainage system). Then I put the green plastic shade sheeting down to act as a geotextile layer and put the granite chips on top. Initial results seem it works OK as we had a heavy rain on Friday and the water did not pool and make the ground soft when driving over it. I have put some more pictures in my gallery to show the drive and will start to put some interior pictures in as soon as the fitted furnature arrives.

Happy building

Pattayapope
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:09 pm

pattayapope wrote: put the granite chips on the drive last week

It looks good and I like the sound but what is it like to walk on without shoes?
Don't they get thrown about a lot when you do a wheelie on the drive, even a small one?
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Walking without shoes is OK as these are quite fine chips, much finer than the ones used in concrete. I don't plan on pulling any wheelies but yes it would kick them up. Originally I had it 3 inches deep and when not compacted it teneded to dig in but we had a big storm on Friday and they seem ok without compaction (now about 2" deep). I had 2200 plants delivered and the picup went all the way round without any problems. Cost and looks was the reason I went this option as I don't like plan concrete and tiles or fancy finishes are quite expensive. The whole drive cost me 10,800 granite chips (3 trucks), 5,500 JCB for day and 3,000 for green netting. I quite like the precast blocks with the holes in but they need a good base and would cost a lot more in materials and labour.

I got ride of the builder for all the final finish work as he would not quote and just wanted to do the work and give the the bill later, everything he told me cost so much was BS and I have found the materials about 50% cheaper. I hired one of his best workers to work for me as a gardener handyman so he is doing everything and I am just supervising and buying all materials. I have lot of little projects to do and need to do some refurbishment on the bungalows so it is working out OK for me and the guy is happy as he makes about the same moiney as before and has a nice little bungalow with sattalite TV.
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:02 pm

pattayapope wrote:I quite like the precast blocks with the holes in but they need a good base and would cost a lot more in materials and labour.

Those are what I am planning to use because I also don't want a huge concrete slab which is prone to cracking. The area I am doing is smaller than yours.
I want to fill them with small stones, but a larger size than your granite chips. In the lower car-park I will be using them as well but then filled with Malay Grass.
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (4.1 KiB) Viewed 2682 times

Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg (10.06 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
fredlk

Next

Return to Your Building Story