Thaifu T - Retirement HERE at last

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby Thaifu T » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Martin, thanks for message, 19 pay days will soon pass. I'm now counting down in days with great anticipation. I'll certainly keep the updates going once I've sorted out access to the Net. Initially this will have to be via some sort of internet cafe as the g/f doesn't have a land line. Will get proper access later but that won't be until the house is completed.
Cheers for now.
Alan
Thaifu T

Postby Itchy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 pm

I love reading about other people's plans coming together, chears me up no end.

Don't forget, keep your move overseas secret from the pension people, they'll not give you annual increases if they know you are in Thailand.
Itchy

Postby Thaifu T » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:10 pm

Itchy, thanks for the comments. Hopefully things will continue to progress in the same way.
Not quite sure how you let the tax man know you are living abroad and not tell the pensions people - those little men in government seem to actually talk to each other these days. Anyway it will be another 7 years before I have to be devious with the DWP.
Cheers All
Alan
Thaifu T

Update 3rd November - Au revoir

Postby Thaifu T » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:47 am

Hi everyone, the day I have been waiting for - retirement. Actually writing this late Thu UK time 'cause tomorrow is THE day when I get totally blathered. Dozer, please change the title 'Retirement has arrived'.
Anyway today is also the day when they have the buddhist ceremony to celebrate the 'start of house building', had to phone the g/f at 04:15 Thai time to make sure she was awake to start all the preparations; bloody glad I don't have to get up at that time. In actual fact the builders have been working for nearly a month putting in pilings, foundations etc. Sorry no photos at the moment 'cause I'm still in the UK. I arrive in LoS on the 13th and will survey 'the damage', only joking (I hope), I'm sure the g/f and brother have it under control.
But I will only have very limited access to the world of the internet until I arrive in Thailand and then will have to rely on 'cafes' for the first couple of months. I will take plenty of pictures and endeavour to keep people updated with my experiences.
My thanks to all who have helped during the 'planning phase'. 18 months of anticipation and I have arrived at the first check point - can't believe it.
Cheers all; good-bye to Tetleys, hello to Leo and Chang

Alan
Thaifu T

Update 27th November (quick)

Postby Thaifu T » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 am

Hi all, a quick update,
I've been here two weeks now and progress has been quite good. As I mentioned work had already started before I arrived; apparently they put pilings in to a depth of 4m (down to some decent ground) and then did the foundations. When I arrived on the 13th CPAC were there and they were pouring the base. Since then then columns and beams have been erected and the first floor prepared for a visit by CPAC today to pour that. Overall I'm pleased with progress so far.
I have kept a diary of daily happenings and taken the obligatory photo's. Once I crack the problem of getting this info onto an Internet Cafe machine I will post to the site. (I suppose they are afraid of virus problems from my memory stick). Anyway cheers everyone I will keep you updated.

Alan
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Very interested in the pilings. Do you have any pics of them setting in the piles. Did they use a pile driver or a driller? Also, what is the soil like and why did they need to drive piles?

Hope you get the internet thing firgured out!
dozer
Site Admin

Pilings

Postby Thaifu T » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 am

Hi Dozer, sorry for the delay in replying. As you might guess I have been a little busy of late. Next bit of bad news is that I'm currently back in the UK, Mother had to go into hospital so I have had to nursemaid the old man. The good news is I should be back within the next few weeks. The house is almost finished now. When I get back I will start to put all this down for your readers. The g/f did take some photo's of the pilings so I should be able to scan those in and let you see. Cheers for now.
Alan
Thaifu T

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:22 pm

Hi Thaifu,

There is a new photo album feature on the site now. When you are ready you can post your photos and comments here: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Thaifu T » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:20 am

See what happens when you disappear for three months. Many thanks for that Jazzman, I've got a load of photos that I took during the building phase, so will be passing a few hours (days) to sort out the interesting ones will then start to download.
Alan
Thaifu T

Postby Thaifu T » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:14 pm

Jazzman, or anyone else for that matter. Any tips or basic instructions for creating albums of pics on this site. Started today and began to get error messages on size. Can't see any help guide. Sorry to be a pain but currently on a (very) slow dial up line and it takes an age just to load one picture only to find it fails. MAny thanks in anticipation, Alan
Thaifu T

Postby Thaifu T » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:18 pm

Sorry everyone - forget my last post - have just found the instructions.
Cheers, Alan
Thaifu T

Update 4th March

Postby Thaifu T » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:01 am

Hi all, have started to put the photos together (my thanks to Jazzman for pointing me in the right direction). Intend to show these month by month to keep the size of the albums down a bit. Have now posted November's album. By all means have a look, all comments and criticism welcome, although it's a bit late now as the house is just about finished. When I've done the other albums I'll put together a bit of a narrative about the whole adventure indicating the things I ballsed up, hopefully to stop other people making the same mistakes. I'll leave you to look at November whilst I get on with December.
Cheers
Alan
Thaifu T

Postby dozer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:18 am

Here is the URL to your album:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=11

Looks like it is coming along! Thanks for posting the pics to the new album to share with all.... look forward to more.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:20 pm

Nice pics Thafu. Steel forms for the columns, hmmmm
Looks like it's going to be a very nice house. Don't worry too much about the size of your album. jazzman's has about 40 pics already.
If you don't like them you can even leave a comment :oops:
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Update 7th March - December photos

Postby Thaifu T » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:46 am

Hi all, have now posted the photos that cover the work done in December. Here is the URL http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbn ... =15&page=1

Hope you enjoy.
Cheers

Alan
Thaifu T

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story